Newbie Steiner 410 questions

/ Newbie Steiner 410 questions #1  

aclarke

Tractor
Kubota L3130, John Deere 1025R
Hi. I just bought a farm (yay me) and along with it came a Steiner 410. I've owned it less than a week at this point, and it's made it half way through my front lawn before exhibiting some major problems. It will start, but maybe sputter and almost stall, and the choke sometimes needed to be out even when the engine was warm.

I figured the first thing to do was to check the air filter (fine), and spray some carb cleaner into the intake. I then put in some new spark plugs (mostly because my friend dropped one a few times). Now, it starts up, and sounds sort of OK, except that you can hear it dropping in revs a bit for a second or so as it idles. During today's test I didn't need to use the choke at all, so that was different.

However, as soon as I try to mow with it or put any significant load on the engine, it just starts to splutter and stall again. I figure the next thing is to replace the fuel filter, and maybe then start adjusting the carb. Am I on the right track? I haven't adjusted a carburetter in over 20 years and I probably wasn't any good at it then. I don't think it's a case of bad case, as the previous owner used it regularly. Plus, I added new gas and it didn't help.

The manual says one of the things to check if the engine runs poorly is the fuel valve. However, I don't see anything that looks immediately like a fuel shut-off valve. Is there one on this tractor, or is it more something that I'd turn with a wrench if I needed to work on the fuel system?

Next, I found a little lever on the side labelled "transaxle vent". I was curious, so I moved it. I heard a little "psst" pressure-release sound, and then later discovered oil on my garage floor. I hope/assume those two events are related. Perhaps opening the vent allowed some hydraulic fluid to escape out the vent? Is this plausible?

Finally (for now), after the oil incident, I decided I should do what the manual says and check the hydraulic fuel level. The PDF manual I found has a very un-helpful little photo of the rear transaxle dipstick location, but for the life of me I can't find anything like this on my tractor. I assume it's under the removable metal cubby under the seat, but from there I can't see anything that looks or acts anything like a dipstick. Right now I'm feeling a bit like a dispstick, but that's as close as I am to resolving this one.

If anyone has any suggestions for me, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
- Andrew.

/ Newbie Steiner 410 questions #2  
I would clean the carb. That's probably what is needed.
2nd checking the hydro oil is easy. there's a screw on dipstick by the rear by the weights behind the seat near the rear motor transmission. there's a screw in dipstick by the front too. Looks the same as the rear one. ONLY USE STIENER FLUID. NO OTHER
Also, there probably isn't a shutoff valve. Someone probably removed it. I never use mine anyway. What's the point. Maybe if transporting it and it gets a lot of jiggling around don't know for sure why you need it.

Always check the oil in the hydro engine off. Never on. It's pressurized in there.

Steve

/ Newbie Steiner 410 questions
Thanks for the response. I should have posted an update here. I replaced the fuel filter and the tractor runs a lot better. I'm still getting a little hesitation, and occasionally it will still stall on me, but it works better than it did at least.

I also figured out where the dipstick was, thanks.

What's magical about Steiner-brand hydraulic fluid? I can get some, but it costs $110/pail as opposed to $80/pail for whatever I can get at my local tractor supply store. I'd rather not pay the extra, but the real issue is that the closest Steiner dealer is a 40 minute drive away and I can get other hydraulic fluid right here in town. The hydraulic filter is a similar story: the Steiner branded one is $37 whereas there's a NAPA filter that the internets tell me will fit that I can get in town for $8.50.

Regarding the fuel shut-off valve, I have no use for one, per se, but I'd want to know where it was if it was partially shut off and was causing my tractor to not run properly. That was the point of my question.

Thanks again,
- Andrew.

/ Newbie Steiner 410 questions #4  
My Steiner dealer is a long time expert on these things. He really says to only use the Steiner filter and fluid in the Hydro section. And the reason is they are strict on the specs of them both. And in the case of the pump and motors is it worth it to save a little to keep the major expense of the hydro rebuild at bay ? You are talking thousands to rebuild the pump and motor sections.

Fuel shutoff on mine is under the hood with a little red tab on the fuel line. Cheap plastic thingy.

Steve my dealer is 4 hours away. I'd take 40 minutes in a heartbeat.

/ Newbie Steiner 410 questions
Thanks. I like saving money, but even more I don't like being gouged. If I feel like I'm being sold magical voodoo sauce that only the approved oil contains, it makes me annoyed and makes me want to spend money elsewhere. I have no problem spending the extra $60 every year or so on Steiner oil/filter IF there's a legitimate reason to do so.

Turns out the guy at the Steiner dealer lives closer to me, so he can bring stuff home and I can pick it up there. So that's not so bad.

- Andrew.

/ Newbie Steiner 410 questions #6  
Hey, it's ok with me. I like saving money too. If not on the front end on the back end when the repairs are needed. I don't know the specs of the fluid for Steiner but I'm sure something is compatible. Which fluid does it I don't know. And if anyone does know please post it up which spec would work. Along with a filter too. I'd like to know that as well.

Steve