Nice oil to leave on precision hand tools?

/ Nice oil to leave on precision hand tools? #1  

SmallChange

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland WM25 with 200LC front end loader, filled R4 tires 43X16.00-20 and 25X8.50-14 (had a Kubota B6200D with dozer and R1 tires)
I got tired of the crummy combination squares from Lowes or Home Depot, pitched the last one into the trash, and bought a nice hardened cast steel one from Starrett. It's so nicely made, works so smoothly, and has such nice fit.

Tools like this sometimes acquire a light oil or grease film just from use, especially if they stay in a machine shop where everything acquires that film, but sometimes they wind up more stained and corroded looking, I guess from salt from the skin.

Is there a nice oil or grease to put a light film on tools like this, or calipers, or micrometers, and so on? I don't mean dripping off, just a very faint film that I'd refresh any time the tool gets cleaned.

I have "Fluid Film", which sounds like it's made of lanolin (a common skin treatment also), so maybe that would be good?

/ Nice oil to leave on precision hand tools? #2  
I have all of my great-grandfather's Starrett and Brown and Sharpe machinists tools, which includes at least a dozen old combo squares, all early 1900's stuff, which he bought when he was a young machinist (b.1889). Back when my shop was in a basement, I used to just wipe them with a rag wetted with gun oil about once each year, the same stuff I wipe on my Brownings and Remingtons. Now that my shop is above ground and air-conditioned, I haven't put anything on them in 25 years. They develop a nice patina over time, which I guess is technically the same combination of oxides as rust, but it just leaves them a pleasant earthy hue without any ill-effects.

If I had new ones, and in a heated shop, I'm not sure I'd bother putting anything on them. If storage conditions are less ideal, pick up a squirt bottle of gun oil (eg. RemOil), wet a rag, and give it a wipe-down after each project. The goals and pitfalls of oiling guns match your concerns here, so I see gun oil as the ideal product for this job.

/ Nice oil to leave on precision hand tools? #3  
Spray with Double D Farty.

/ Nice oil to leave on precision hand tools? #5  
Calipers and micrometers should be stainless. Even the cheap ones. Way oil is typicaly used on the beds of machines or just from general use cutting oil may be on the tools.

/ Nice oil to leave on precision hand tools? #6  
Calipers and micrometers should be stainless. Even the cheap ones.
Ironically, my cheap ones are stainless. But my good vintage stuff from Starrett, Brown and Sharpe, and Athol Machine are not.

/ Nice oil to leave on precision hand tools? #10  
I own 2 Gerstner machinist tool boxes full of precision tools and other than controlling the humidity in the shop I wipe them with a lint free cloth with a little light machine oil on it.