Nifty Photo's

/ Nifty Photo's #1  

TWINKLE_TOES

Veteran Member
Nifty Photo\'s

I have been looking at all the "Nifty Photo's" posted with great jealousy. I don't have a digital camera. I was thinking about what to put in my letter to Santa, and would like some advise on which camera. Keep in mind that Santa has a lot more deserving people than I, and probably wouldn't go for a Sears Best, but maybe a notch above a pinhole with a magnifier that would burn holes in a punch card.

/ Nifty Photo's #2  
Re: Nifty Photo\'s

Allen, I don't have a camera either. I sometimes borrow one from a friend. It is a SONY MVCFD73. When I buy one, that is what I will get. It uses a 3.5 floppy disc in the camera. You just take it out of the camera and pop it into your A drive and away you go, or you can get photoes made off of the disc. When you are through ,you just reformat the disc and you can start again. JIM They run around $600.00

/ Nifty Photo's #3  

My brother-in-law has been sending me pictures that are pretty good. I asked him what kind of camera he was using and he said there is no name brand on it, just the numbers 320. He ordered it through AOL for $50. He said it makes good photo sized prints but if you blow the pictures up much they get pretty grainy.

/ Nifty Photo's #4  

Hmmmm, IBM??? Oh, a holorith card...
Yeah, that would work, just burn holes in a deck of punch cards. But seriously, a few thoughts... If the camera is only for capturing pix to send electronically, exceeding the resolution of the intended format would likely waste significant $. What is best for this changes as this is a rapidly evolving product. For web use (rather low definition) you shouldln't spend much. On the other hand if you want to be able to come anywhere near the quality of even a point and shoot film type camera, you will come close to or exceed a thousand bucks. Consumer's Reports covered digitals a few months back. Good luck to you and let us see the results of your decision. I'm still old fashion 35mm manual camera sort of guy but am considering a scanner that will digitize from the negs or if I feel a $ crunch I'll digitize from prints. But when the market stabalizes a bit more, i.e. entry to mid level digital cameras have become a comodity, I'll get one. (If my lack of patience allows me to wait.) There is software and hardware for capturing still pix from your video camera. Pretty straight forward to use and the price is right, especially if you already have the Camcorder.

/ Nifty Photo's

Thanks Pat,

I think I absorbed most of that. If I want a really zippy camera wait a bit they will get better and cheaper (kinda like GPS) and you can't tell how good my camera when I post a picture.

/ Nifty Photo's #6  

Twinkle Toes,

Do a search on cameras. There was a long discussion a month or so ago. Harv and others know these thing real well and offered a bunch of good info.

/ Nifty Photo's

Pat,

Last night when I should have been catching up on my reading on Tractorbynet I saw a digital camera add on TV
It was for a Curtis Digital 352x288 pixel camera.(www.hsn.com). Takes 20 to 80 pictures, 2 meg memory, featured an 8 sec capture?
Comes with CD software to play with it. Cost $47.
The computer interface is USB (universal Serial Bus?).

My computer is a Dell XPS Pro 200 with two unused serial ports. I think these ports are RS232 ports, but the manual would not confirm or deny this assumption.

Question: Should I give my $50 bucks to the homeless or can this camera be made to work for posting pictures only.

/ Nifty Photo's #8  

Twinkle Toes -

That's the lowest-resolution digital camera I have ever heard of. I suspect the overall quality would be equally low, but that's just a hunch /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif.

It might amuse you for a short while, but more likely it would drive you to buying a better camera as soon it becomes feasible.

This is purely opinion, but I would put my 50 bucks into a savings account and wait 'til I could afford something better. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Nifty Photo's

Harv,

Thanks for the response. Homeless 1, digital low res. camera zip. This is probably like the $4.99 3/8 drive ratchet and socket set. From the web page I'm guessing this is more of a kids toy than a legitimate camera, which is OK, cute idea. How about the USB port? Is that a normal computer Interface or an added card deal? On my computer the unused serial ports(COM 1 & COM 2) are the DB9 pin connectors which I believe are RS232 ports? Thanks again for your thoughts./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Nifty Photo's #10  

Twinkle Toes -

USB is the current rage for serial ports. Most newer computers come with a couple of these ports plus cards and/or adapters are available for many older models, too.

Some digital cameras come with a built-in USB interface. Even if not, if your camera uses SmartMedia or CompactFlash, there are a number of inexpensive readers available for those media with a USB interface.

USB is much faster than RS232.

HarvSig.gif