No Rotella T6

/ No Rotella T6 #61  
How about a one-sentence summary?
Long sentence... Sorry in advance.

World-wide, lubricants come from refineries that primarily make fuel, only 6 refineries in the world make just lubricants and no fuels, so when COVID hit, manufacturing declined world-wide, which caused a decline in the need for fuels world-wide, and the fuel refineries which predicted a several year decline in the demand for fuels due to the pandemic did not foresee the rapid development of vaccines (which usually take 5 years) nor the quick rebound in manufacturing and demand nor the rebound in auto and air travel, so they screwed the pooch by making that call and shutting down fuel refinery production and putting the refineries into maintenance mode, which also killed lubricant production (remember only 6 refineries in the world make lubricants only), and now they're playing catch-up that will most likely last well into 2022, and it's a world-wide issue, so can't be blamed on current administrations in any country anywhere in the world, blame the rapid development of vaccines and a bad call by the energy industry, and that's about it.

🙃

/ No Rotella T6 #63  
No 0w40 T6 available.
I went with John Deere plus-50 0w40.
Expensive at $45 a gallon but a lot cheaper than my alternatives here in Alaska.

/ No Rotella T6 #64  
What is it with these ultra-expensive motor oils for a diesel tractor?

Shouldn't a utility machine like a farm tractor sold in every corner of the world be spec'd to run on at least mid-tier fuel and motor oil?

I can see close specs for the fluid in a hydrostatic or even wet-brakes application. But the motor oil?

/ No Rotella T6 #65  
Well as expensive as tractors and diesel powered equipment is, I prefer to maintain it as best I can. The few extra dollars spent on oils and lubricants in my experience is money that is returned if/when you sell or trade it off. Full documentation is also necessary to maximize this return. At least this has been my experience. But you feel free to do whatever works for you

/ No Rotella T6 #66  
For everyone using the very best oils available,is it time to pull an oil analysis sample and see if you can stretch your change interval?
Would it help to stop the run on the premium products?
Seasons Greetings!

/ No Rotella T6 #67  
For everyone using the very best oils available,is it time to pull an oil analysis sample and see if you can stretch your change interval?
Would it help to stop the run on the premium products?
Seasons Greetings!

I totally agree. That is common practice on large equipment and stationary engines. It’s best practice to monitor the status of the engine’s internal component wear with the analysis as well as proper oil change timing. I admit that I change oil to frequently in my Kubota equipment but the relative cost is low, at least it has been, to the cost of analysis.

/ No Rotella T6 #68  
I totally agree. That is common practice on large equipment and stationary engines. It’s best practice to monitor the status of the engine’s internal component wear with the analysis as well as proper oil change timing. I admit that I change oil to frequently in my Kubota equipment but the relative cost is low, at least it has been, to the cost of analysis.
This seems to be the key. When you're only talking a couple gallons, it's cheaper and easier to just change the oil. When you're talking multiple 10's of gallons, then oil analysis is the cheaper and easier way to go.