No-Slop Vise Mount for Steel Bench

/ No-Slop Vise Mount for Steel Bench
That wasn't even the TIP of that iceberg - I'm pretty sure that, if MY "iceberg" had been the one the Titanic ran into, NOBODY woulda made it to the lifeboats :rolleyes:

But like I said, boredom's the LEAST of my worries as long as I don't do something dumb enough to get laid up too long :thumbsup:

/ No-Slop Vise Mount for Steel Bench #12  
I have several things that mount into square tubing under my welding table, including a vise. To take out any unwanted movement, i drilled a hole, welded a nut to the tubing and a little "handle" on the bolt head to get a little more torque to tighten it up. I thought of doing one from the bottom and one side, but after banging away with things in the vise, it wasn't necessary.

May not be what you are trying to do, though....if so disregard :)
Good luck on your project.

(you'll have to scroll down a bit)
PictureTrail: Online Photo Sharing, Social Network, Image Hosting, Online Photo Albums

/ No-Slop Vise Mount for Steel Bench #13  
What did you do the welding with ? Just curious .

That's not a weld table, it's a SYSTEM - VERY impressive, thanks for sharing.

I've done a few like yours with welded nuts - don't have a lathe yet so I had my local semi-retired machinist turn the ends of a dozen 5/8 bolts. Couldn't find hex head full dog-points in 5/8". Cost me about a buck apiece. Now I don't have to worry about the end threads causing the tube to "walk"... Steve

/ No-Slop Vise Mount for Steel Bench #15  
It took me a second, but once I figured out the mechanics...that's neat! Torquing the bolt forces the halves to offset at the cut-line. Very elegant in its simplicity.

Yup, don't remember WHERE I "xerox-enjuneared" the idea but finally got around to drawing it up - and when you add the mod Bruce posted (post#4) it's even cooler -

When I get the 24'x24' roof finished (steel tube and fiberglass) over the 20 foot container (temporary mini-weld shop, see drawing) I'll likely build at least 4 of these, 2 for the inside tig/mig table and 2 for the outside one.

The Tig/Mig table will get a small dedicated bench grinder for tungstens and a vise, the outside table will get the bigger vise and bench grinder, which will ONLY be attached to the outside bench when it's being used.

This setup will (hopefully) get me thru the winter with at least PART of the teensy bit of sanity I can still lay claim to til I get the new (second) 40x60 shop in and powered, then the container will probably become a compressor/storage area behind the new shop... Steve

Attachments

• SeaCanWeldShop5.JPG
    SeaCanWeldShop5.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 125
   / No-Slop Vise Mount for Steel Bench #17  
That's a great idea how to tighten up a receiver. I'd thought of using a bolt like TxDoc but I like your idea soooo much better. As soon as I read it, I thought "cool, just have to make 2 cuts, one in each plane"....then Bruce suggested the compound angle cut.

I'm thinking particularly with a vice, your want the bottom piece closer to the vice and the top one to be the inside end as that would give the best support for beating on it.

/ No-Slop Vise Mount for Steel Bench #18  
Geez, Steve you're just WAY too organized. We can only assume you have plans drawn up for your PRE temporary weld shop for use while building your temporary weld shop.......

The 160 sq ft layout looks good though! When you're all done with the BIG shop I'll fly you up for a well deserved 'vacation' helping me reorganize mine. :)

Terry

/ No-Slop Vise Mount for Steel Bench #19  
I built a pull out for my van mounted vise and it bolts to the sides of my Pack Rat sliding cabinets...

It had to be strong because I used for threading pipe mostly and it had to allow for 16" of pull out to clear the truck.

Been using it for 25 years and people are always asking where I bought it...

I welded a nut to the 30" long receiver tube for use with a 1" grade 8 socket head cap screw and a nice size handwheel on the cap screw...

The pull out part is heave square tubing that I spent a lot of time polishing to get just the right fit and then lubed it with Door Ease...

"We can only assume you have plans drawn up for your PRE temporary weld shop for use while building your temporary weld shop......."

Terry, this is my pre-pre temp weld shop "annex", all that 2" square tube is just PART of the components for the container's roof frame - the half that'll be over the container will attach to the corner sockets and be bolted/welded in place and will lift off (loader) by removing 4 5/8 bolts - the outer half will be in 3 8'x12' modular sections bolted together while hanging down from the brackets on the container half, then raised into place with the loader and the outer posts bolted in place.

When the whole shebang is no longer needed there, the container AND its half of the roof will become a wind break for one of the main entrances to the new shop as well as a compressor/storage room - the 3 modules of the outer roof will get re-connected end to end (instead of side to side) and become a "mini-machine shed" for the 50' boom manlift.

The other pic is the OUTSIDE of the pre-pre temp weld shop "annex" - the smaller roof folds down against the side of the 12x12 section, then you drive the backhoe into the 12x12, pick it up and drive to where you wanna move it (assuming you have at least a 14' wide path to get there :rolleyes:)

I'm thinkin' that, by the time my new shop's ready for biznez you'll prob'ly get off pretty cheap for air fare - how much can it cost to send a 5 pound URN??!? :laughing: 'Course, the DOWNside of that is the amount of actual HELP you get may be minimal :D...Steve

Attachments

• DSCN1845.jpg
    DSCN1845.jpg
    493.3 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCN1285.jpg
    DSCN1285.jpg
    792.3 KB · Views: 92