Noise cancelling headphones.

/ Noise cancelling headphones. #41  
I have a set of the Bose QC-15 noise cancelling headphones that have over 1M+ air miles. I was considering the QC-35's when I retired a year ago. Once you have a set of Bose, everything else is not as good, by a long shot.

The QC-15's were wired so, the idea of Bluetooth is a big step up.

/ Noise cancelling headphones. #42  
I used a pair for a while years ago but decided a good pair of shooting muffs w/ a 29 decibel rating were better for me.

What's your use?
Should have mentioned I put a pair of BT buds inside.

Let's skip forward <snip>
You can also download directly into your phone's music library, or use music services and streaming music, etc.
Or now just hook up your Mobley and stream the world.

I use regular 3M Peltor 98 and 105 ear muffs, I like to pay attention to the engines. But I have to admit it would be nice to hear music at times.
Find a pair of BT earbuds and slip them inside.

Reading of all these $300 options makes me glad I never bought any. My $25 solution fell on the concrete yesterday and one muff snapped off. Think I can glue them back together but in reviewing for this thread I stumbled on to the 37 dB NRR muffs by Decibel Defense and those should be QUIET for $26.

/edit - or maybe a pair of Peltor 31 dB earmuffs. And my BT headphones work fine inside them :)

Last edited:
   / Noise cancelling headphones. #43  
Coming from an aviation background I can highly recommend David Clarke headphones should you come across a pair reasonably priced.
They have become the standard for military, helicopter and civilian aviation.
Very well designed and quite comfortable plus offer a variety of microphone configurations.

/ Noise cancelling headphones. #44  
I have both the Bose QC 35 and newer H-700 noise cancelling headsets. Both work well for streaming audio but neither have the sound deadening ability of my trusty old 3M Peltor X3A's.

As another poster mentioned, I'm also concerned about breakage. The Bose products aren't meant for rough service environments.

/ Noise cancelling headphones. #45  
I see this is an old thread, but since new conversation has come up I'll chime in. I use Bose QC-35 when mowing my 7 acres. They work well to reduce the mower noise and allow me to hear my music very nicely. I have nothing else to compare them to so I can't say whether they are better or worse than anything else.

Rob

/ Noise cancelling headphones. #46  
I went with these.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RRDJ79H?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

The noise cancelling is active (it just works) and I can have a normal short conversation with my wife without taking them off.

The Bluetooth connects to my phone to do everything thing earbuds do and more including answering calls and voice activated tasks like Siri and Cortana commands.

/ Noise cancelling headphones. #47  
For tractor work I usually use some 3M Work tunes, was a good $25, should have bought two... I think they time out after a couple hours which isn't too bad. I have a set of Howard Leight noise canceling muffs I use sometimes, they were $15 cheaper when I got them, for whatever reason green is cheaper than black? The only downside I have found is they time out after an hour so you have to monkey with the volume knob every now and then...

/ Noise cancelling headphones. #48  
I've owned three different noise cancelling brands: Bose, Sony, and John Deere. These are NOT dual purpose ear protection headphones. All they do is reduce the noise.
Best were the John Deere for $110 - a promotional product back in 2010 which looked like Sony made them. Next were the Sony which cost 3x and didn't do much at all on the tractor. Sent them back.
For the last few years I have the Bose QC35 which I got on Amazon for slightly over $200. They decrease the noise by about half, no more than that, and need new ear pads every year. (about $15.00 set). Plus an AAA battery every few days of use. Especially nice if your ears are still young and you need to hear other sounds while on the tractor.

None of the noise cancelling ear muffs work as well as I wished or expected them to work. They reduce noise, but it can still be loud.
IMHO, the best for total hearing protection are industrial or shooter's ear muffs of your choice for 10% of the price of noise cancelling types. You can get a new set of 3M Peltor X series Industrials for under $30. More and more I just use those.... They live on the tractor.

Frankly I wish I had protected my ears more when I was young.
rScotty

Last edited:
   / Noise cancelling headphones. #49  
On the tractor/lawn tractor I wear regular, full ear, earmuffs... when it comes to aircraft, of enjoying the full experience of music, I have invested in a pair of Bose 35 noise cancelling headphones. They are a soft-cup, fully enclosing, headset. The sound is pure and the outside/surrounding 'noise' is eliminated. A joy to use for hours. They're bluetooth and USB chargeable + jack-plug in for aircraft sound system.

Previously, I had a pair of Sony noise cancelling. They did work well but I could only wear them for an hour before the 'flat', non-encompassing, 'cups' gave me ear-compressing pain. (I've since given the Sony to a Mate who says they don't bother him = YMMV)

I was able to pay for the Bose using my accumulated QANTAS 'points'... just before this bloody Covid thing hit.

Whilst on the tractor, I prefer to use regular earmuffs. I want to 'hear' anything going 'wrong' and, although I have used music playing headphones in the past, I'm more comfortable listening to the sound/feel of my tractor... the same thing occurred when riding my motorcycle (back in the day), a radio in my helmet tended to distract me from all of the 'tin-tops' who were 'out to get me'. 🙂

Last edited:
   / Noise cancelling headphones. #50  
I've owned three different noise cancelling brands: Bose, Sony, and John Deere. These are NOT dual purpose ear protection headphones. All they do is reduce the noise.
Best were the John Deere for $110 - a promotional product back in 2010 which looked like Sony made them. Next were the Sony which cost 3x and didn't do much at all on the tractor. Sent them back.
For the last few years I have the Bose QC35 which I got on Amazon for slightly over $200. They decrease the noise by about half, no more than that, and need new ear pads every year. (about $15.00 set). Plus an AAA battery every few days of use. Especially nice if your ears are still young and you need to hear other sounds while on the tractor.

The Bose QC35 have permanent rechargeable batteries. They don't use AAA. Or were you referring to one of the other brands above with the AAA comment?

I can mow for 4.5 hours with my QC35s and battery is only down to 80%. They've been great that way. Yes, they don't completely eliminate tractor noise but they reduce it enough to be unobtrusive and allow music to be heard very well.

Rob