Noise Insulation for shop compressor?

/ Noise Insulation for shop compressor? #181  
Thanks for the link, Gene. I like the fact they have a white side and grommet option. 80x80in kind of a weird size though. Oops never mind, I see there is a 96x80in. Weight advertised to be about 12lbs. That 'sounds' promising compared to the lightweight HF moving blankets that I currently cobbled together and crudely hung with screws straight through the blankets.

Yeh white facing out for sure, helps light up the area. I don't know how HF's blankets compare to mine, but I suppose if you double up their blankets, it would improve how well they absorb sound? I know about acoustics about as much as I do electrical (haha, that 220v wiring thread).

/ Noise Insulation for shop compressor? #182  
Strantor, that looks very involving, but I give you mad props for it. :)

/ Noise Insulation for shop compressor? #183  

We had a very loud compressor at an Engine Machine shop I worked at part time.
We fabbed up an air intake pipe from PVC and ran it thru an outside wall. Then we mounted the original air filter outside, on that.
It really helped a lot. We are in Wisconsin, and cold supply air never bothered a bit.

/ Noise Insulation for shop compressor? #184  
I finally brought home the industrial sound meter from work and compared it to the phone app while running the compressor. They aren't even close. The real meter was showing 86 dB while the phone was at like 68. At low sound levels they matched up OK, but not at higher levels. So I tweaked the offset parameter in the app and now they line up at the louder levels, but at quieter levels they are now significantly different. I can live with that as nobody cares too much about low level decibels - it's the loud stuff that we are always concerned about, naturally. I don't think it is necessarily the app, I just think the mic in the phone is not good enough to cover that range. And of course this also showed how loud the compressor actually is. I guess I need to look into intake mufflers now...

/ Noise Insulation for shop compressor? #185  
Strantor, that looks very involving, but I give you mad props for it. :)

Thanks. I realize it's beyond practical but I'm a nerd with odd fixations and for me this is an extracurricular; it doesn't strictly need to be practical. I enjoy tinkering with it. It's my version of putting a supercharger on a car that already has a V8, or putting a 20" lift under a truck that was already bigger than a bus.

/ Noise Insulation for shop compressor?
   / Noise Insulation for shop compressor? #188  
Mark, I have the Jet 1-1/2 horse DC1100(with the"super" filter - I built a different base for it and a welded bracket to mount the motor/impellor above a real cyclone - works great, noise isn't bad at all - you have my #, text me if you want a couple pix of the mount. cyclone is from Oneida (dust deputy company) - newer ones are a bit different, but would work the same. With the cyclone addition, it's been YEARS since I've emptied anything but the 30 gallon barrel below the cyclone. I even added a "foot pedal" that lets me lower the catch barrel just enough to clear its lid and slide the barrel out - push the empty barrel back in til it hits the cleats, step on the pedal, make more chips/dust...

I managed to mislay the CF card with all the pics of my setup, still looking. If you think you wanna "exile" both comp and DC, keep in mind that SHORT trumps LONG on DC stuff - compressed air is MUCH more forgiving.

Also, if you'd like the "2 bit tour" I'd be glad to oblige next time you're in the Albany area - take your own pics/videos, etc, just don't tell ANYBODY else where I live (got robbed of over $6k in tools about 10 years ago, not interested in a replay)

Meantime, here's another thread on topic

Compressor outside garage? - The Garage Journal Board

HTH... Steve