Noise Insulation for shop compressor?

/ Noise Insulation for shop compressor? #1  

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-25D, Kubota Z122RKW-42
I have a 5hp 60gal upright compressor in my shop. Wondering about trying to knock down some of the noise.

One thought is to build a little outhouse attached to the back of the shop but I am concerned it will be louder for the neighbors. Also it would be in unheated space but I suppose I could vent some shop heat if necessary but this build could get a bit. expensive for what it is. If I new it would be just as quiet as now for the neighbors, I might do that as it would be definitely quieter for me and gain some valuable shop real estate!

My other option is to try to build a sound deadening enclosure and keep it inside. But this will take even more real estate and I wonder how effective it would actually be in reducing noise.

Looking for opinions, what others have done, etc.

/ Noise Insulation for shop compressor? #2  
Subscribed!

Been kicking around doing something with mine also - darn thing is loud!

/ Noise Insulation for shop compressor? #3  
We would be forced to build sound enclosures all the time for factory equipment to keep shop levels below hearing protection. Biggest issue was trapping heat. Just keep ventilation in mind. They can be very effective.

/ Noise Insulation for shop compressor? #4  
Fab up a air intake silencer for it.

/ Noise Insulation for shop compressor?
We would be forced to build sound enclosures all the time for factory equipment to keep shop levels below hearing protection. Biggest issue was trapping heat. Just keep ventilation in mind. They can be very effective.
Yes heat buildup vs. ventilation that is the noise path. This is why I am hoping for some ingenious solutions here.

/ Noise Insulation for shop compressor? #6  
There's a bunch of youtube videos on this subject. Seems the general consensus is you need to provide a powered inlet fan to force air into the enclosure for two reasons...
1. air consumption
2. cooling the inside of the box
And an exhaust port.

Other than that, most of them are just boxes with sound deadening foam on the inside walls.
Just make sure you have a way to easily get to the tank drain, on/off switch, pressure regulator, etc...

I'll be watching this thread. My compressor is ridiculously loud. I can hear 40-50' away from the garage even if the doors are closed.

/ Noise Insulation for shop compressor? #7  
Do what I've seen some of the remote ranches around here do. Underground - kind of like a root cellar. Not just the compressor but their gensets (they run generators for power, no power lines where they are) a few feet underground. Amazing how a few feet of soil will dampen noise and vibration. Draw outside air of course, and the exhaust runs a ways underground also before being routed outside.

Do what I've seen some of the remote ranches around here do. Underground - kind of like a root cellar. Not just the compressor but their gensets (they run generators for power, no power lines where they are) a few feet underground. Amazing how a few feet of soil will dampen noise and vibration. Draw outside air of course, and the exhaust runs a ways underground also before being routed outside.
That is interesting for sure and I like the idea... for me my building/property line constraints and an upright compressor make this very difficult at best.

/ Noise Insulation for shop compressor? #9  
I've got mine in my attached, unheated lean-to for my tractor. Have no problems in the winter other than occasionally my auto water drain will freeze up on me. You can hear it running from my neighbours place but it's not loud enough to make a difference. There's no way I would run it in the garage, the noise would drive me bonkers.................Mike

I've got mine in my attached, unheated lean-to for my tractor. Have no problems in the winter other than occasionally my auto water drain will freeze up on me. You can hear it running from my neighbours place but it's not loud enough to make a difference. There's no way I would run it in the garage, the noise would drive me bonkers.................Mike
Yep... bonkers is an apt description. Good to know that the low temps aren't an issue... but what about condensation and rust?