Noob question 4 wheel drive

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #41  
Haven't gone through all the comments, but everyone else is commenting on the 4wheel drive so I'll comment on the RPM.

Optimum RPM is determined by the motor of the tractor, and each one is slightly different. The manual will tell you. If you are in doubt you can just run at the PTO RPM, which is often printed somewhere on the dash. The tractor is designed to run at that RPM without issue.

I think the RPM for that tractor is 2100rpm. So you are running extremely low on the power scale if you are running it at 1500 rpm.

Note that you only have a 24HP tractor (at 2100 RPM) so you aren't going to have a ton of power available to you when using the loader.

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #42  
unlike awd cars, most SCUT/CUT tractors have no center differential. power is split 50-50 front to back so when you are in 4wd and you are sliding down a hill. applying the brakes will slow both axles.

Technically because of the differential in the front axle you could be in 4wd with the rear wheels in the air with the parking brake applied and be able to rotate the tractor around on its front wheels. there are no individual brakes on the front wheels but the axle will provide braking according to the friction available to the tires.

If anyone decides they want to try this atleast block the pivot point on the front axle or else your tractor may end up on its side.

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #43  
RPM: I have a 25HP Kioti, I tend to run at fairly high rpm near the top most of the time. Often when on a lower RPM and doing work, like picking up gravel with the FEL or climbing a hill the engine RPM will drop while I'm doing it. That's my cue to up the RPM a bit.

2/4WD: I have mixed soil, and mud in places. Most of the time I stay with 2wd if I'm not getting a lot of slip, I notice that my turning angle is significantly reduced when in 4wd and I feel that the components are straining a bit. So really just like my truck, 4wd if I think I'm going to have problems, 2wd if not.

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #44  
if your tractor is HST, 1500 rpm is probably not enough. I only run at that RPM as I'm pulling out of the garage when the engine is still cold

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #45  
Depends on what you are doing. If you are crossing lawn with ag tires, for example, don't use 4wd or you will tear the turf up. Loader work is safest in 4WD but if you're on the flat and making tight turns, 2WD tears up the ground much less. If you dont have an implement on behind as ballast and pick up something heavy, ALWAYS use 4wd or you can lose control coming down a hill, if the rear end lifts (you will not have braking, either engine or wheel brakes, so if the rear end lifts in 2wd you will take off coasting down the hill on your front wheels). So don't carry heavy things in the bucket if you don't have ballast on behind. And for plowing snow, 2WD is pretty much useless. As others have pointed out, it's a bad idea to use 4wd on hard surfaces for point-to-point travel.
The 'sweet spot' of RPM depends on your tractor and what you are doing with it, how much fuel you want to use, how hot it is outside, etc.

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #46  
Hi everyone! First time tractor owner here and I’m trying to learn as much as I can. I have a 25hp Branson and live in Florida. I’m using the tractor for mostly bucket and grapple work. My land is pretty sandy but not enough softness that I get stuck in. i do feel the tractor bog down frequently. I run my RPMs 15-1800 when working the two implements. Is this the sweet spot to run RPMs and also should I be running it in 4x4 mode all the time or stick with 2 wheel until I get stuck? Thanks for any help! Mike
Check your manual for the recommended RPM's for what you're doing for a start, since every machine is different, how you break it in matters as well. Even 2 of the same model will be different depending on how they're broke in and maintained. As you use your machine, listen to how it's running, just as you do your car or truck, you will get to know how it needs to be run.

As to the 2x4 v. 4x4 question, that is as old as there is 4x4. I use 4x4 most of the time when I'm using the bucket or have a heavy implement on the 3 point hitch. If I'm mowing my yard I turn it off because of tight turns that have a tendency to bind up the gears. If the wife is using the tractor I make sure it's in 2x4 because she never remembers not to turn to tight and binds up the front end.
As you use your machine you will get to know when you want 2x, and when you want 4x. Anything you get from forums here is just advice, and how we use OUR equipment, don't take it as gospel on how you have to run yours. I've seen the results of that, there were tears involved, and many $$$ involved.

Good luck and have fun. One thing to remember, never put chains on your front tires.

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #47  
I also have a Branson you are not running your RPMs up high enough you should be running at least 2,100 RPM or more check with your Branson dealer also run off road in soft ground with four wheel drive in use two-wheel drive on hard surfaces

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #48  
4wd all the time except on paved surfaces or if going "fast"... for my two tractors (Kubota B3200HD and M5040) this means 10+ mphs.

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #49  
Inexpert reply here . . .

2 wd, high range, for belly mower.

2 wd, med range, for bush hogging, sometimes low range if Cogon grass.

2 wd, low range, for brush removal with the bucket on the FEL.

ALWAYS 2 wd in transit or on pavement - says so right in the manual! 4 wd on pavement makes for tricky steering and unpredictable handling.

When I start to get stuck or I need some extra grunt, shift to 4 wd.

When I'm really stuck, there's a diff lock under the seat, push down on that with left foot and back up.

High-sided on some Palmetto stumps once, used the FEL to lift the front, engaged 4 wd and diff lock, low range, backed right off.

Guy I know with a lot more experience than I have said he always uses 2 wd, so that he can engage 4 wd to unstick himself. He said if he goes in with 4 wd and gets stuck, he's already exhausted his options and will have to yell for help.

Then there are the people who say if you've never gotten your tractor stuck, you aren't working it hard enough.

Tractors aren't delicate, but they aren't indestructible either.

Best regards,

Mike/Florida