Normal set up of front end loader controls

/ Normal set up of front end loader controls #1  

FordnMassey

Silver Member
Tractor
ford 3000 and MF35
Hi,

I have a Massey Ferguson 35 that I am fitted with a front end loader. It has single action lifting cylinders and a double action bucket cylinder controlled by two spool valves. Currently, pulling the lift lever back lifts the arms. Pulling the bucket lever back tips the bucket forward. The bucket action seems opposite to what I expected. I haven't used a loader in 30 years and can't remember the normal set up. What is the normal set up for the action of the control levers?

/ Normal set up of front end loader controls #2  
Set it up how you like it. All you have to do is swap the hose(s). I like pushing forward to dump the bucket and close the grapple. I like pulling back to raise the loader arms. Make it work the way you want. (y)

/ Normal set up of front end loader controls #3  
Hi,

I have a Massey Ferguson 35 that I am fitted with a front end loader. It has single action lifting cylinders and a double action bucket cylinder controlled by two spool valves. Currently, pulling the lift lever back lifts the arms. Pulling the bucket lever back tips the bucket forward. The bucket action seems opposite to what I expected. I haven't used a loader in 30 years and can't remember the normal set up. What is the normal set up for the action of the control levers?
Yep that's opposite on curl.

Your intuition is correct, you want the implement to move towards you when you move the lever towards you. On a single stick, dump is pushed to the right (away), curl in is to the left (towards you). Lift is pull back, and lower is pushed away, forwards and backwards. For a two stick, you would dump by pushing away on the second stick, forwards, and curl towards you by pulling back.

Swap the two hoses at the valve you should be good to go.

/ Normal set up of front end loader controls #4  
Many years ago I was an accident investigator for the Canadian government.
I was sent to the scene of a farm accident where the tractor operator was crushed and suffocated by a large hay bale.
He had been working on the loader and reversed the bucket hoses.
He thought he could mentally compensate for the reversed action. However, at the end of a long day when his very tired his muscle memory took over and the large bale was rolled back unto the operator. Before he could be freed he suffocated.
It is not something to play around with!!!
Dave M7040

/ Normal set up of front end loader controls #5  
Yep that's opposite on curl.

Your intuition is correct, you want the implement to move towards you when you move the lever towards you. On a single stick, dump is pushed to the right (away), curl in is to the left (towards you). Lift is pull back, and lower is pushed away, forwards and backwards. For a two stick, you would dump by pushing away on the second stick, forwards, and curl towards you by pulling back.

Swap the two hoses at the valve you should be good to go.
Yep. Pulling the lever back should curl the bucket. Yours is backwards from the rest of the world. You should swap the hoses.

/ Normal set up of front end loader controls
Thanks rScotty And Dave M7040. The accident described is exactly what I'm hoping to avoid. I haven't been on a loader in many years, so I could learn how to use any set-up. But then I get on another loader or someone gets on mine and if it's not setup the common way, people get hurt. I'll set it up the standard way you describe. Thanks again for the info.