Novice wants a MIG, advise ?

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #91  
I've been welding for years. I have had or used all the name brands.

So far, I'm loving my Titanium 170 from harbor freight. Quite impressed.

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #92  
My 2 cents. I arc welded farm stuff for years with a Lincold tombstone and my uncles Hobart engine drive. I broke down and bought a Hobart Handler for home shop use about 15 years ago. It was a great machine for 3/16" and under. I bought a bush hog needing some repairs and ran into it limitations and decided to upgrade to a Hobart Handler 210MVP and have never looked back. It is 120/240V switchable by swapping the included plug. A 30 second swap if needed. I use almost exclusively C25 gas and 10lb sppols of .030, although this weekend I did take it to a buddies house, used 120V and a four inch spool of flux core.

Two points as I see you are rureal, all of the supplies needed for this model are available at most any farm store. I pick contact tips, etc at Tractor Supply here. I don't need to run to a big city weld supply. (I don't like buying online).

To answer OP's question, the 210MVP uses the 240V 50A socket that you pictured. Also uses the standard 120V socket although it really needs a dedicated 30A breaker circuit for high amperage 120V useage.

I recently inherited a Millermatic 200 from my father, and while it is a nice welder I think I'll keep my Hobart as I really like the versatility and it welds everything I'll likely do. (I still have my uncle's Hobart GW-222 that I restored and I use it a bit.)
Here's a video after restoration

Brian

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #93  
Wow. For me Flux core was nothing but frustrating. I needed to weld thin steel and all flux core did was burn holes in it.
Flux core has it's though for welding thicker steel like on a trailer chassis.

If I really needed BOTH, I would buy a nice MIG like a MillerMatic and a cheaper flux core welder I could carry around. I have a Lincoln 110v welder that was a Flux Core when I purchased it. But they offered a upgrade kit to convert it to a MIG. Kit was about a 100 bux, but it was still cheaper than buying a MIG welder off the shelf. To convert it to a MIG I had to switch the polarity, and switch the liner in the "whip" as they call it.
I have a smaller inverter style stick welder I use to weld anything heavy. IT is pretty light so that is handy to carry out to whatever is broken in the field. I don't mind stick welders since I learned on a Lincoln tombstone welder when I was a young lad. ITs harder to get a pretty weld but they do work.

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #94  
I am still researching a MIG. So far, I am sticking with the "name brands" that I know: Lincoln, Hobart (Miller) and Everlast. What I **think** I want is a 110/220 capable machine and
- can use large spools (8")
- capable using flux core in addition to (argon+co2) with wire
- do NOT need stick or TIG capability (already have a Miller stick)
- 10' leads would be nice

So far, considering a Hobart 140, Lincoln 140 (or maybe Lincoln Handy Mig k2185-1?) and Everlast 200ES. Checked a larger Miller / Lincolns locally, the next sizes up almost 2x prices. As mentioned, the Hobart, Lincoln and Miller are sold local, so any "options"/ parts... would be available.

Honestly, I am somewhat frozen by all the specs and features. I'd really like some opinions. This machine is mainly for Hobby use. Thin gauge tubing / thinnish rebar (wire, maybe up to 1/2"). So, trying to stick with a name brand, one that is easy to load spools, adjust and as trouble free as possible.
Perhaps, the ones I mentioned are all about equivalent? But I would appreciate advice from "experts" before buying and having regrets. :)
I can recommend the Millermatic, it’s well worth the money!

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #95  
I am still researching a MIG. So far, I am sticking with the "name brands" that I know: Lincoln, Hobart (Miller) and Everlast. What I **think** I want is a 110/220 capable machine and

So far, considering a Hobart 140, Lincoln 140 (or maybe Lincoln Handy Mig k2185-1?) and Everlast 200ES. Checked a larger Miller / Lincolns locally, the next sizes up almost 2x prices. As mentioned, the Hobart, Lincoln and Miller are sold local, so any "options"/ parts... would be available.

Honestly, I am somewhat frozen by all the specs and features. I'd really like some opinions. This machine is mainly for Hobby use. Thin gauge tubing / thinnish rebar (wire, maybe up to 1/2"). So, trying to stick with a name brand, one that is easy to load spools, adjust and as trouble free as possible.
Perhaps, the ones I mentioned are all about equivalent? But I would appreciate advice from "experts" before buying and having regrets. :)
Hey Spike,

I bought an Everlast Storm Storm 215c after lots of research. It was a long needed upgrade and I couldn't be happier. This is a unique multiprocess unit that has Mig / stick / plasma cutter. Most multiprocess offerings out there are Mig/stick/Tig, but you really have to pay to get AC Tig. Most are DC Tig. You will need AC tig to weld aluminum. I have not Tig welded before but would like to learn although the learning curve for Tig seems very steep. I will invest in a spool gun if I want to pursue this. All this lead me to the Everlast as it includes a plasma cutting feature that no other multiprocess machine does.

I lover the Mig on this machine. It works great. I can weld thin material without burning through, or crank it up and penetrate pretty deeply on thicker material. I do like my old Lincoln tombstone for stick welding, but now I only need one unit. Cant do without stick and I can seamlessly switch between the two with this machine. No wasted resources on the Tig. I have a plasma cutter too and while this is a 40A cutter compared to my existing 50A unit, it works just fine. I'll drag out the torch if I need to cut something heavier that this cutter can handle.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #96  

My suggestion is to first enroll in a Trade School and take their Welding Class. That will make you much more knowledgeable. It is unlikely based on your enquiry that you will ever weld 1/2" plate. Keep it real.

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #97  

I purchased a Harbor Freight Omni Pro 220 recently, and have been overly impressed with the welding results. It operates on either 240 or 120 (automatically adjusting) with or without gas, you enter what you are welding, the gas, size of the wire, and it automatically adjusts temperature, speed.... I've welded up to 1/4" and one of my sons has welded 26 gauge without burning through. I have a Miller 200 which I keep for a spare, but haven't broke out since getting the HF unit. It also can weld stick. Optional accessories are TIG, TIG footpedal, aluminum spoolgun.
I believe even an idiot could make a good weld with this machine.

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #98  
Wow. For me Flux core was nothing but frustrating. I needed to weld thin steel and all flux core did was burn holes in it.
Flux core has it's though for welding thicker steel like on a trailer chassis.

If I really needed BOTH, I would buy a nice MIG like a MillerMatic and a cheaper flux core welder I could carry around. I have a Lincoln 110v welder that was a Flux Core when I purchased it. But they offered a upgrade kit to convert it to a MIG. Kit was about a 100 bux, but it was still cheaper than buying a MIG welder off the shelf. To convert it to a MIG I had to switch the polarity, and switch the liner in the "whip" as they call it.
I have a smaller inverter style stick welder I use to weld anything heavy. IT is pretty light so that is handy to carry out to whatever is broken in the field. I don't mind stick welders since I learned on a Lincoln tombstone welder when I was a young lad. ITs harder to get a pretty weld but they do work.
DrRighteous,

The wire you use makes a huge difference. I use flux core wire most of the time as it is convenient. I found that INE wire made in Italy gives me WAY better results. Self-shielded flux-cored wire for welding carbon and C - Mn steels | INE SpA

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #99  

Ive sparked enough welders to know you get what you pay for in brands and value. I will not buy another off brand welder for the replacement parts not available. 200+amps is required in stainless or aluminum in mig and the mess is as best you can. the best is TIG but every application can require a different kind of welding brazing or what ever. A bad idea is the ALL in ONE welder with a plazma cutter One part brakes and shuts down production of the other work fixing one problem. Gas torch set , micro torch set for fine detail , We didn't have all these fancy spool gun welders.

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #100  
If you read the reviews, they are all over the place. However, there is one thing I noted when watching a lot of pro welders online…an awful lot of them used Everlast machines. After a brief foray into a Yeswelder Mig 250 (avoid at all costs!) I bit the bullet and ordered an Everlast 230i. Best welder I’ve ever used. I repair trailers and fab up attachments so I use it a lot. It’s relatively simple but with enough useful features to make life simple. Can run a spool gun for Aluminum, 120/240, flux and gas and a verg good stick section with 6010 capabilities.
Oh, and yes, yes you DO want stick. There are times when only stick will work. Never limit your repair options. Thicker dirty, rusty painted metal outside in 40 mph wind? Check. Toss on a 6010 root to burn through the nasty and cap with 7018. Plus, stick builds skills and it’s cheap. I actually enjoy running it.