Novice wants a MIG, advise ?

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #121  
Word is that HF solid wire is rebranded INE ... not sure what their fluxcore is.
I think the Vulcan flux core also uses INE's unique method of securing the outer end of the wire, melting it into the flange of the plastic spool instead of threading it through a hole. Vulcan 10 lb spools show 'Made In Italy'.

So - possible.

Has anyone here compared them one after the other?

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #122  
Look up prime weld.com it is a 110/ 220 welder flux core or gas come standard with a spool gun for aluminum for $500 keeps up with the Lincoln and Miller I've used all brands it is very nice welder. I have Lincoln, miller, htp for the price you can't beat it good luck on your venture.

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #123  
Man, 13 pages of novice advice. Ooofdahh. I bet it will hit 20.

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #124  
I get a lot done with an old Miller 130 unit, which only claims to go up to 1/8" but can still yield satisfactory results to 1/4" (obviously with a very low duty cycle). I'm not suggesting it, or something that small, but you'd be surprised at how much you can do with a small unit.

Still, I'll eventually get something bigger if I can justify it, just everything I've built so far (using E71T-GS flux core wire) has turned out great.

(my unit came with an 8" roll, and when I got some 2# rolls I had to kluge it to fit them. strange, i'd expect the opposite with a small machine!)

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #125  
A couple of years ago I bought a Hobart 210 Handler. I use it with 230v but it will run on 115v with reduced amperage capability. I use gas but it will also use flux core wire if you need to carry it on site somewhere. Consumables are easy to find. It will use the larger 8" wire spools. It has worked flawlessly and I've used it quite a bit. If you are a professional welder or money isn't a factor I'd go Miller. Otherwise I think you will find the Hobart 210 meets your requirements. Not familiar with the Lincoln line but they are probably on par with the Hobart. Avoid the Chinese cheapo's. My 2c anyway...

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #126  
I am still researching a MIG. So far, I am sticking with the "name brands" that I know: Lincoln, Hobart (Miller) and Everlast. What I **think** I want is a 110/220 capable machine and
- can use large spools (8")
- capable using flux core in addition to (argon+co2) with wire
- do NOT need stick or TIG capability (already have a Miller stick)
- 10' leads would be nice

So far, considering a Hobart 140, Lincoln 140 (or maybe Lincoln Handy Mig k2185-1?) and Everlast 200ES. Checked a larger Miller / Lincolns locally, the next sizes up almost 2x prices. As mentioned, the Hobart, Lincoln and Miller are sold local, so any "options"/ parts... would be available.

Honestly, I am somewhat frozen by all the specs and features. I'd really like some opinions. This machine is mainly for Hobby use. Thin gauge tubing / thinnish rebar (wire, maybe up to 1/2"). So, trying to stick with a name brand, one that is easy to load spools, adjust and as trouble free as possible.
Perhaps, the ones I mentioned are all about equivalent? But I would appreciate advice from "experts" before buying and having regrets. :)
I am still researching a MIG. So far, I am sticking with the "name brands" that I know: Lincoln, Hobart (Miller) and Everlast. What I **think** I want is a 110/220 capable machine and
- can use large spools (8")
- capable using flux core in addition to (argon+co2) with wire
- do NOT need stick or TIG capability (already have a Miller stick)
- 10' leads would be nice

So far, considering a Hobart 140, Lincoln 140 (or maybe Lincoln Handy Mig k2185-1?) and Everlast 200ES. Checked a larger Miller / Lincolns locally, the next sizes up almost 2x prices. As mentioned, the Hobart, Lincoln and Miller are sold local, so any "options"/ parts... would be available.

Honestly, I am somewhat frozen by all the specs and features. I'd really like some opinions. This machine is mainly for Hobby use. Thin gauge tubing / thinnish rebar (wire, maybe up to 1/2"). So, trying to stick with a name brand, one that is easy to load spools, adjust and as trouble free as possible.
Perhaps, the ones I mentioned are all about equivalent? But I would appreciate advice from "experts" before buying and having regrets. :)
I’m happy with my Hobart IronMan 240.
Got it on sale at TSC, took advantage of their low interest three year financing.

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #127  
I was in the same situation about a year ago. After looking at many options (Hobart 210 to HF to YesWelder) I opted to go with the ESAB EM 210. It was in the same price range as the Hobart Handler 210 and Vulcan MigMax 215. I chose it because it's from a reputable company while offering a few more features than the HH210. So far I've been very pleased with it for the random repairs/odd jobs I've used it for. I've run it on both 115 and 220.

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #128  
I'm with Yomax... 13 pages of advice for a novice... Being a novice (mig welder) in the same state as Original Poster, that you already have and are reasonably competent with a stick... and now wanting to broaden your capability and take on tasks you wouldn't dream of tackling with a stick welder.

The real answer for which welder works for you depends on what you are planning on doing with your MIG welder? Are you hoping it will relegate your stick welder to the bush? Or are you going to use the mig for off-position and thin-material jobs that your stick-welder is not suited to? A mig welder that can put your stick welder in the corner never to be used again will be pricey, like a couple few thousand... A 140~180 amp mig that can tack 1/8 mild steel together and do body panels and thin stuff should be several hundred dollars.

The "whip" on your mig welder is a fixed length, probably 8 feet, maybe 10 feet, maybe 12 feet. The longer the whip, the more expensive that part is, both to purchase, and to refurbish when worn out. The wire-drive "pushes" wire through the whip. The shorter the whip, the less "piling up" of wire you will experience, and the smoother the wire will feed. But the most important thing for how your whip functions is how that whip is cared for. Do not jerk the welder around the shop by the whip. Do not kink, walk on, or horror of horrors drive on your whip. When your whip goes sideways, it doesn't really stop working, it just feeds wire jerky and you get crappy welds and sticking and annoy the hell out of you welding. An old (now late) welder told me to treat your mig-whip with as much care as you treat your manhood.

One thing that is sure to annoy you is the cheap-ass booster cable clamp pretend ground clamp every welder comes with. Replace it with a screw-type clamp that makes sure your ground connection to the work-piece is sound.
1672976267605.png

Happy welding...

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #129  
I've been considering Forney. I heard that Home Depot sells them. Does anyone know anything about Forney? Isn't it an old brand, too?

I was considering a Harbor Freight MIG, but I read an article once that said they come with a very short lead.
Much Forney stuff is just re-badged stuff from various manufacturers. I don't know who makes Forney MIG welders but I would be surprised if the info wasn't available online. Yup, Forney welders are made in Italy. There are at least two Italian companies making welding machines.
Eric

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #130  
I’m no expert but have used A Lincoln 110 v with gas and it did a great job. I have a Campbell - Hausfeld 110v for home use which is a flux core wire machine and it’s ok nothing to write home about and my favorite was a miller 210 which was superb.
What I’m really saying is you get what you pay for. It is worth spending a bit more for the capability when you need it.