Now I have a beaver?

/ Now I have a beaver? #1  

WoodChuckDad

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti RX7320 Power Shuttle Cab, Komatsu PC130-6
This weekend we had a massive rain storm and my pond flooded up a bit from all the debris that came down the mountain thru the creek. I got it cleared and the water started to recede a bit. Toward the end of the days I saw a beaver swimming around. It's a massive thing. I got about 10 minutes of video of it swimming around my beautiful pond. I'm worried that it could dig tunnels in the dam and cause the dam to fail. I think I know what has to be done but don't really want to do it. Anyone ever have any success trapping and relocating a beaver?

/ Now I have a beaver? #2  
If anything, the beaver will reinforce the dam. My concern would be more about the trees it would take down.

We have a few beavers around here, and we just leave them alone.

On the way to Halifax, beavers made a large dam at the side of the highway. It’s kinda neat because you can see it from the highway.

/ Now I have a beaver? #3  
This weekend we had a massive rain storm and my pond flooded up a bit from all the debris that came down the mountain thru the creek. I got it cleared and the water started to recede a bit. Toward the end of the days I saw a beaver swimming around. It's a massive thing. I got about 10 minutes of video of it swimming around my beautiful pond. I'm worried that it could dig tunnels in the dam and cause the dam to fail. I think I know what has to be done but don't really want to do it. Anyone ever have any success trapping and relocating a beaver?

No success in trapping and relocating, but success in eradication.

A beaver established residence on a creek on my farm a few years ago. I learned that I could avail myself of an APHIS (Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service) program for beaver eradication. I think I qualified for the program because the beaver dam was upstream of a conservation pond that had been funded by the NRCS. Anyhow, an APHIS technician trapped the beaver and blew up its dam for $140.

Steve

Last edited:
   / Now I have a beaver?
State law here would allow me to take it out if it was causing damage. Its a beaver. It will cause damage.

/ Now I have a beaver? #5  
I have a family/colony of beaver that have established residence on my little lake. They have built a very low dam on the outlet that helps control seasonal water level fluctuations.View attachment 549454 Photo of my little five acre lake as seen off my front porch. Five acres of open water-five acres of cattails on the far end-it is the sole source of water for a much larger lake that it drains into.

I seriously doubt that the beaver will damage your dam. More likely - as marchanna indicated - he will take steps/measures to reinforce the dam. He is there because your pond is a safe place for him.

/ Now I have a beaver? #6  
I seriously doubt that the beaver will damage your dam. More likely - as marchanna indicated - he will take steps/measures to reinforce the dam. He is there because your pond is a safe place for him.

Also likely that he, or his offspring, will build another dam upstream of your dam.

/ Now I have a beaver?
I will be keeping a tight eye on it.

/ Now I have a beaver? #8  
Also likely that he, or his offspring, will build another dam upstream of your dam.

The beaver on my farm was a female.

My impression was that she built the dam in anticipation of a mate showing up later.

Steve

/ Now I have a beaver? #9  
turn it into a hat

/ Now I have a beaver? #10  
On the way to Halifax, beavers made a large dam at the side of the highway. It’s kinda neat because you can see it from the highway.
See it every day on the way to work just past exit 9 on the right, inbound there's two spots actually, they have one big lake made..............Mike