Now that the snow blowing season is over,

/ Now that the snow blowing season is over, #21  
My blower won't come off the tractor until late May or maybe even June. When it does it will be on blocks, outside, chain oiled, unpainted spots painted, driveline attached with a bag over the end.

/ Now that the snow blowing season is over, #22  
Quote:
Anyone have any thoughts on removing the PTO shaft and storing it inside rather than bagging up the free end?

How about draping the shaft with poly sheet (sort of like a mini tent) simply to shed water.
Either way, well greased (shaft and zerks) will shed water.

Mine has slept outdoors for probably 10/12 years and no problems other than routine maintenance.
Essentially I do as REB 954 does. ( above post)

Pay close attention to rust, ice and snow loves sticking to rusty chutes.

/ Now that the snow blowing season is over, #23  
Lol, nope but if it snows, I'll use the ATV. No need to take out the big guns in March :)

Thanks. It's outside, covered but I didn't think about raising it from the ground. Sounds like a good idea.
I think I only used my blower 4 times this year. But we're getting the biggest snow of the year today at 4-7. I plan on using it again tonight just cuz it's fun.

/ Now that the snow blowing season is over, #24  
I think that another important maintenance item is to change out the gear lube in the gear box. If the unit is new, it's a good time to change it out after the first season to remove all the break-in material. If the unit is new to you, and you don't have any maintenance records, now is a good time too. In both cases it is good practice to check the gear box for lube upon receiving the blower. Sometimes new equipment doesn't have lube oil installed, and used equipment might be low on oil, dirty or even dry. Shouldn't be, but you never know until you peek in. Never drain the lube until you know for certain that you can remove the filler plug, or even get at it to refill the gear box to the correct level. All the above is good practice for your Bush-hog or Finishing mower too... Below is a link to the Amsoil gear lube that I use. Probably the 75w90 would be best for a blower and maybe the 75w110 for a mower, but whatever viscosity the OEM would recommend would be best. Perfect time of year to tackle both pieces of equipment, Dutchy

/ Now that the snow blowing season is over, #25  
What should be done to prepare the blower (3PH) for storage?
It's MARCH! Big snows come in March and April....

jess say'in

/ Now that the snow blowing season is over, #26  
:rolleyes: I'm taking mine off tomorrow. A little easier to get my firewood without it on the back...
Dutchy🤞

/ Now that the snow blowing season is over,
I think that another important maintenance item is to change out the gear lube in the gear box. If the unit is new, it's a good time to change it out after the first season to remove all the break-in material. If the unit is new to you, and you don't have any maintenance records, now is a good time too. In both cases it is good practice to check the gear box for lube upon receiving the blower. Sometimes new equipment doesn't have lube oil installed, and used equipment might be low on oil, dirty or even dry. Shouldn't be, but you never know until you peek in. Never drain the lube until you know for certain that you can remove the filler plug, or even get at it to refill the gear box to the correct level. All the above is good practice for your Bush-hog or Finishing mower too... Below is a link to the Amsoil gear lube that I use. Probably the 75w90 would be best for a blower and maybe the 75w110 for a mower, but whatever viscosity the OEM would recommend would be best. Perfect time of year to tackle both pieces of equipment, Dutchy

It's new so I guess I'll be changing the gearbox oil, thanks.

jess say'in

We usually don't get feet of snow here at a time. Most we get is about 8" per day and storms rarely last over a day. Of course, since I said that, we'll probably get one the biggest snow fall of the decade soon. But if it does snow and can't wait until it melts, I'll use my ATV and walk behind blower like I did in the past.

/ Now that the snow blowing season is over, #28  
We have had 2' of snow in april . Jumping the gun a little . But in may when it's safe I always drain as much gas out of tank and pour in a ounce of stabil in tank and let it run dry. Same goes for every gas motor I store . when I do my prep for snow season I just ad fresh gas and two pulls it starts right up. Worked for the last 22 years.

/ Now that the snow blowing season is over, #29  

jess say'in
As Gomer Pyle would say...Surprise Surprise Surprise. ;)