Odd situation with shear pins and my blower

/ Odd situation with shear pins and my blower #1  

RobertEH

Silver Member
Tractor
LS MT235HE
Tractor: LS MT235HE
Blower: Land Pride SB1574 three point snow blower
Shear pins: Two; a grade five 1/4x1" on the auger shaft, and a Grade two 5/16's x 2" on the PTO shaft

Had an odd situation a couple weeks back. Temp was about zero F give or take a degree or two. I was blowing some snow and snagged something that caused the PTO shear pin to snap. I replaced it and then thought I should also check the auger shear pin. Here is the odd part...

The shear pin had broken and the shear pin holes were 180 degrees out of rotation. I tried to rotate the auger to line them up, but it would not budge. I tried to turn on the PTO to move it and the auger ran fine and it blew snow even though there was no shear pin in place. I figured it was frozen so I sprayed a bunch of window de-icer on it and pinged it with a hammer. It would still not rotate. I was worried it had some how welded to itself. I had about 100 feet of nice dry snow left so I used it to blow that out of the way and parked it. It warmed up to around 30 degrees F a few days later. I went out to check it and it now rotated freely. So clearly it was somehow frozen to itself.

Has anyone seen this happen? It was cold out, but not 40 below! Any suggestions on how to unfreeze it should it recur? I suppose I could have hit it with a torch.

20240129_153210.jpg

Last edited:
   / Odd situation with shear pins and my blower
A solid down jacket was cheaper than a cab... however, I do end up looking like a flocked Christmas tree due to blow back when I fail to account for wind from time to time!

/ Odd situation with shear pins and my blower #4  
Again no comment on the frozen bits. But I tried for a season blowing without a cab and my controls would get covered and then freeze on my Kubota. I thought I might break something even adjusting the throttle. But it is pretty cold here.

Two seasons here with temps in single or negative digits so far and no real negative effects. Fingers crossed that continues!

/ Odd situation with shear pins and my blower #6  
Two seasons here with temps in single or negative digits so far and no real negative effects. Fingers crossed that continues!
Good. Last time I ran the blower, in my cab tractor, it was -26°F outside.

/ Odd situation with shear pins and my blower #7  
Doesn’t seem possible that the auger would rotate properly with the pin sheared, does the auger maybe somehow have more than one shear pin ?

Doesn’t seem possible that the auger would rotate properly with the pin sheared, does the auger maybe somehow have more than one shear pin ?
I 100% agree, but no, just one shear pin. Blower worked excellent without it and then once it warmed up, I needed the shear pin installed to move the auger.

/ Odd situation with shear pins and my blower #9  
I don't know about your blower - Robert. My blower had two pins also. On the auger shaft and on the PTO shaft.

Some times the auger pin would blow for no good reason.

Rotate the entire assembly - by hand - to ensure it's not frozen up somewhere. I ended up purchasing bags of grade 2 and grade 5 machine bolts.

I have a mile long gravel driveway and ran the blower on an open station tractor. Drifting, blown snow was never fun.

I have a much bigger tractor and HD rear blade now. A whole lot easier, faster and less strain on my neck and shoulders.

/ Odd situation with shear pins and my blower #10  
Tractor: LS MT235HE
Blower: Land Pride SB1574 three point snow blower
Shear pins: Two; a grade five 1/4x1" on the auger shaft, and a Grade two 5/16's x 2" on the PTO shaft

Had an odd situation a couple weeks back. Temp was about zero F give or take a degree or two. I was blowing some snow and snagged something that caused the PTO shear pin to snap. I replaced it and then thought I should also check the auger shear pin. Here is the odd part...

The shear pin had broken and the shear pin holes were 180 degrees out of rotation. I tried to rotate the auger to line them up, but it would not budge. I tried to turn on the PTO to move it and the auger ran fine and it blew snow even though there was no shear pin in place. I figured it was frozen so I sprayed a bunch of window de-icer on it and pinged it with a hammer. It would still not rotate. I was worried it had some how welded to itself. I had about 100 feet of nice dry snow left so I used it to blow that out of the way and parked it. It warmed up to around 30 degrees F a few days later. I went out to check it and it now rotated freely. So clearly it was somehow frozen to itself.

Has anyone seen this happen? It was cold out, but not 40 below! Any suggestions on how to unfreeze it should it recur? I suppose I could have hit it with a torch.

View attachment 849436
A kerosene fired space heater will melt all the ice and snow out of the
snow blower in a half an hour and dry it out at the same time.