Off road diesel - How do you find locations?

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #91  
Hey Ponytug!

I think we're West County neighbors. Compare your avatar photo to the photo linked in my footer.

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #92  
If off-road doesn't give much of a tax discount in your state, consider running #2 heating oil. I don't know enough about the recent emission control diesels to tell if that would be a problem, but any traditional diesel will run fine on it.

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #93  
If off-road doesn't give much of a tax discount in your state, consider running #2 heating oil. I don't know enough about the recent emission control diesels to tell if that would be a problem, but any traditional diesel will run fine on it.
All the diesel and HHO is the same these days.

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #94  
Or if you're really cheap - every month or so I stop by the 'free for re-use' table at the county's hazardous waste/recycle dropoff point.

Often there is Tiki Torch fuel which is just scented kerosene. Yesterday I got 3/4 gallon of torch fuel and a tiny unopened can of two-cycle oil to use with it. And a gallon of Coleman Fuel (white gas) I can run in the car.

Plus more than enough quarts of unopened 5-20 and 10-30 oil for an oil change in the 20 year old Subaru. Yeah I'm cheap. That's how I retired a decade earlier than most.

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #95  
If my memory serves me correctly, in Washington State off road fuel is taxed at the local sales tax rate whereas on road fuel is only taxed with the per gallon price. At some point it is ultimately the same price for both (by spring of 2022 maybe?). In some counties you would pay a 10% sales tax rate and at $4.00/gallon the tax on off road would be 40 cents per gallon and the on road would be 49 cents per gallon.
I buy bulk off road at 500 gallons at a time delivered but I would not drive too far for just 10 gallons of off road.

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #96  
HAY California you say your CHEAP do you squeak?????
I would do that too but we don't get to take anything out
of the land fill or dump!
I was thinking about getting an oil burning stove and
going around to the eating places and sucking the oil
out of their waste cans

willy

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #97  
HAY California you say your CHEAP do you squeak?????
I would do that too but we don't get to take anything out
of the land fill or dump!
I was thinking about getting an oil burning stove and
going around to the eating places and sucking the oil
out of their waste cans

willy
These are special times. This is stuff they collect on like amnisty days. It would usually be handled as hazardous waste so by letting people take useable products and use them they do not have to pay hazmat disposable fees on that much product. The army bases I have worked at do the same thing. You can get anything they have in there for free, anything from bug spray, to oils, spray lives, house paint.

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #98  
@California That's great! I have never seen it in our county, but reuse is way better than the cost and effort of special incineration. That is a huge service to the community. Huge.

All the best,

Peter

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #99  
If my memory serves me correctly, in Washington State off road fuel is taxed at the local sales tax rate whereas on road fuel is only taxed with the per gallon price. At some point it is ultimately the same price for both (by spring of 2022 maybe?). In some counties you would pay a 10% sales tax rate and at $4.00/gallon the tax on off road would be 40 cents per gallon and the on road would be 49 cents per gallon.
I buy bulk off road at 500 gallons at a time delivered but I would not drive too far for just 10 gallons of off road.

I was at a local station yesterday where they had both off road and road taxed Diesel side by side in the same pump.

The road taxed Diesel fuel was about $3.50 and off road was $3 per gallon.

Year and half ago I bought & stored few hundred gallons of off road Diesel when it was about half of today's price.

:cry:

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #100  
@California That's great! I have never seen it in our county, but reuse is way better than the cost and effort of special incineration. That is a huge service to the community. Huge.
Yes, this re-use policy is worthwhile. Waste Management - A nationwide trash hauling and recycle corporation - operates this under contract to the county. I think it diverts a lot of stuff that would otherwise go into sewers and then the river.

I've gotten a lot of paint there. For example Rustoleum quarts of white, black occasionally colors. Good enough for farm implements!

They used to have 5 gallon buckets of free graffitti-cover latex that they blended down to concrete color from off white junk but it disappeared. I think those go to county maintenance crews now.

Nearly everything is excess from recent jobs. I ignore anything that looks old. Another useful category is Simple Green and similar, for my pressure washer. Its amazing what people get rid of when they move.

Every community should do this. The alternative to re-use is unnecessary local pollution.

---
Added: I forgot these categories. I see them there but I never get them: Bags of garden and lawn care stuff - fertilizer and fertilizer/weed killer, and rose spray etc. Legal pesticides including wasp spray and indoor bug bombs. Quantities of pool chemicals that look to be past their due date. Tile prep primers and cleaners. Spackle, putty, and window glazing putty. Car polish and headlight restorer etc. It looks like people hoard this stuff then finally drop it off.

Last edited: