Off road diesel - How do you find locations?

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #101  
On the off road diesel if you have to drive some
place to get it and you only get around 10 gallons
you might just as well get the regular diesel the
little money your save getting the red juice will
cost more in fuel just to get it unless you have a
150 gallon tank they come and fill up free delivery

When I was on board a ship we dumped 150 5gal
cans of mineral oil over the side as nobody wanted
it such a waste but I was just following orders

willy

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #102  
These are special times. This is stuff they collect on like amnisty days. It would usually be handled as hazardous waste so by letting people take useable products and use them they do not have to pay hazmat disposable fees on that much product. The army bases I have worked at do the same thing. You can get anything they have in there for free, anything from bug spray, to oils, spray lives, house paint.
I keep hazardous waste around just because you can't buy the stuff any more, or it's very difficult to get. I have 5 lbs of lead arsenate in storage. I have 5 gallons of milsurp methanol in storage. I have so many dangerous chemicals I have cobbled together a laminar flow hood in the shop bathroom, which doubles as a vent fan. :cool:

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #103  
there are several places around me that sell off rd diesel.
Bought 300 gallons of the stuff last week

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #104  
Yes, this re-use policy is worthwhile. Waste Management - A nationwide trash hauling and recycle corporation - operates this under contract to the county. I think it diverts a lot of stuff that would otherwise go into sewers and then the river.

I've gotten a lot of paint there. For example Rustoleum quarts of white, black occasionally colors. Good enough for farm implements!

They used to have 5 gallon buckets of free graffitti-cover latex that they blended down to concrete color from off white junk but it disappeared. I think those go to county maintenance crews now.

Nearly everything is excess from recent jobs. I ignore anything that looks old. Another useful category is Simple Green and similar, for my pressure washer. Its amazing what people get rid of when they move.

Every community should do this. The alternative to re-use is unnecessary local pollution.

---
Added: I forgot these categories. I see them there but I never get them: Bags of garden and lawn care stuff - fertilizer and fertilizer/weed killer, and rose spray etc. Legal pesticides including wasp spray and indoor bug bombs. Quantities of pool chemicals that look to be past their due date. Tile prep primers and cleaners. Spackle, putty, and window glazing putty. Car polish and headlight restorer etc. It looks like people hoard this stuff then finally drop it off.
One reason for such discarded items is professional moving companies like Mayflower or Two Men & A Truck will not transport certain items like aresols, fuels, cleaning supplies, etc. Anything that might go ‘boom’, leak, or be hazardous.

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #105  
Found an old photo, where I used a lot of salvaged Rustoleum. Half full quarts of red primer and white finish coat. But I finally had to go buy a $10 quart to finish the project :confused:. Otherwise all free materials, paint and thinner.

HF's paint mixer propeller, then their fine-mesh cone filters, prep'd the paint. I thought old paint might clog the gun or dry slowly or something, but it went the same as using fresh materials. There was more patio furniture than shown in this photo.
kimg1753rpaintironfurniture-jpg.477002

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #106  
Re off road diesel I bought some Friday and noticed the price difference here is $0.60 less per gallon.

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #108  
Re off road diesel I bought some Friday and noticed the price difference here is $0.60 less per gallon.
What was the price in Cal.?

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #109  
What was the price in Cal.?
Looking at my receipt I paid $3.999/gallon for red diesel. $0.60 off the posted $4.59. No upcharge for credit card. At a small local chain. Chevron's posted price is $4.69. Those are the only stations in town with red diesel.

I see on Gasbuddy $4.41 and $4.45 (cash price, credit card $4.48/$4.62) for two more stations within a reasonable distance but they don't sell red diesel. $4.35 for Costco members is the lowest I see within an hour round trip. Region: an hour north of San Francisco.

This is tourist country (Sonoma/Napa/Mendocino vineyards, wineries, tasting rooms) and everything is expensive. Over in the ag region, the Central Valley, I see $3.67 minimum and many under $4.00.

(updated)

Last edited:
   / Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #110  
Looking at my receipt I paid $3.999/gallon for red diesel. $0.60 off the posted $4.59. At a small local chain. Chevron's posted price is $4.69. Those are the only stations in town with red diesel.

I see on Gasbuddy $4.48 and $4.62 for two more stations within a reasonable distance but they don't sell red diesel. $4.35 for Costco members is the lowest I see within an hour round trip.
OUCH!