Off Road Diesel

/ Off Road Diesel #1  

MadDog

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
After reading several threads on TbN (plus wrestling with refilling my tractor using a 5 gal jerrican filled with on-road diesel from my local gas station /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif), I decided that it would be more economical, and also more convenient, to find a better way.

As suggested here, I got a 30 gal. poly drum with standard bungholes and adapted one of the pallets that some piece of equipment had come on by making a well to hold the base of the drum. I bought a $30 hand pump from TSC. Fits right into the back of my Suburban and provides excellent practice in the precision operation of the FEL. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Will post a pic of setup sometime tomorrow or Thursday.

Then all I had to do was find a source for off-road diesel. This was a lot harder than I thought it would be. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Those local oil companies that have off-road diesel charge a delivery fee on a small drop like 30 gallons that would wipe out the tax savings. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Also, they had a hard time understanding that I was willing and able to bring my drum to them. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Finally, however, I found an oil co 5 minutes from my house with off-road diesel that would sell to me at their yard. They have low sulpher dyed (it doesn't seem to be worth their while to get high sulpher for just the off-road market, which is fine with me). I picked up my first load this morning, spread vs. taxed was $.30/gal. I figure I'll save $50-$75/year and should recoup costs of drum and pump system w/in first year. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Of course, the savings are relatively insignificant; the real advantage is that now I can refuel without slinging a 5 gal container around. Plus it's fun loading and unloading the palletized drum with my pallet forks. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Off Road Diesel #2  
MadDog, Sounds like a great set up and what a convenient location, 5 minutes away, pretty lucky. I would like to do the same thing just because the only source of off road for me is about 20 miles from the house. Just food for thought, do you condition the fuel in the drum, I don't know how much you burn, but I know we condition the fuel in the tanks on the job (500 to 1000 gal) and it aleviates a lot of problems. Did the hand pump you bought at TSC have a filter on it?

/ Off Road Diesel
I'm estimating that I will be refilling the drum about every two months, so it probably won't need a stabilizer. I do use PRI on my stored gasoline and may use it on diesel also if I find that the time between refills is longer than that. (From what I have read, there is less of a stability issue with diesel.)

The pump doesn't have a filter, but I run fuel through a "Mr. Funnel" on its way to the tractor.

The pallet is pretty simple, but gives the drum good stability while it is in the back of my truck. I'll try to take the pic tonight and post it tomorrow.

/ Off Road Diesel #4  
I got a 55 gal plastic drum from a friend for free. Got a hand pump from Northern tool.
I have ZD21, L3830, and an L245 w/ a Woods FM. I do a lot of mowing and bush hogging in the summer months. Last summer the 5 gal jugs were a real pain in the @#s!
I use my FEL to move a full drum from my truck and set the drum on a furniture dolly in my shop. It is such a time saver, back saver, and much cleaner, etc.
In the summer, I fill it up about every 2 months. I never put more than 50 gallons in the drum.
In the cooler months I fill it every 4 months.
I highly recommend this type of setup, even if you have to buy taxed fuel.

/ Off Road Diesel #5  
If you can, dont use off-road diesel. Regular is more eco friendly.

/ Off Road Diesel #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If you can, dont use off-road diesel. Regular is more eco friendly. )</font>

Huh? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Most places just dye the low sulfur stuff. Didn't read very many threads here did ya?

/ Off Road Diesel #7  
MadDog,

Where did you get the 30 gal poly drum? I have been trying unsuccessfully to find one around here. I think I found a source for 50 gal drums but a 30 would be ideal.

/ Off Road Diesel
Hi, MadRef: There are a bunch of places that sell poly drums online. It pays to shop around for the best price. You should be able to pick a new one up for $40-$50, maybe less.

The real trick is finding someone who has and will sell off-road. Prior poster is dead right; down here, at least, it is ALL low sulpher, they just dye it for off-road. It doesn't pay an oil co to make a 30gal delivery and the delivery charge will offset the tax savings; that's why I palletized mine so that I can take it to the oil co for refilling. I keep forgetting to post a pic, will take one tonight.

/ Off Road Diesel #9  
MadDog, please PM me with the name of the place you got the poly drum from.

My home heating oil company is also really big into off-road diesel. They have contracts with several large construction companies and the off-road is always fresh. They have it trucked in special from somewhere in NY near Canada.

/ Off Road Diesel
Herewith, links to the pics that I finally got around to taking of my diesel fueling set-up.

diesel fuel station

diesel pallet

The drum recesses in a hole in the plywood sheet on top of the pallet and rests on the 1x4s at the base. Thus the bottom 5 1/2" of the drum are in the well, which gives the drum more stability when transporting it in my truck.

All layers are glued (outdoor glue) and screwed with #10x3" screws. When my FEL pallet forks are set 21" apart, they fit with about 1" total play and extend completely through the pallet.

Handpump is from Northern Tool; cost about $29. I put a ballvalve shut-off and screw cap at the end of the fuel line as double protection against leaks.

I'm still working on an improvement to tell me when the tractor tank is full without having to leave the pump to check. I am thinking of making a small float to run through my Mr. Funnel, rigged so that the top of the float appears at the top of the funnel when the tank is full. Should be pretty easy to make....