Off-set mowing options

/ Off-set mowing options #1  

Rowski

Veteran Member
Tractor
2004 New Holland TN70DA with 32LC loader, 2000 New Holland 2120 with Curtis cab, 7309 loader
I'm looking for an economical way to mow with some sort of a cutting device set of to the side of the tractor.

Currently I mow about 10 acres of very nice meadow(s). The grass can not be cut by farmers due the the size of the machines (the access is not possible, small bridges, narrow paths, etc). The problem is the customers don't want to spend money to have it cut multiple times. So I end up cutting it once when the grass is very high 5' to 6' and thick. My rotary cutter and tractor has no trouble cutting it but the cut is poor due to the grass being run over by the tractor.

I have another 15 acres that is rough with some rocks. The rocks are seen easily. The grasses are mixed with weeds and very small saplings (seedlings).

Another 5 to 10 acres that is very extreme (more rocks than grass). Very poor grass, lots of weeds, wet areas.

I have been asked by a few if I mow "road side" along driveways and right of ways (all private). This may be an opportunity here due to the fact that we have 110 customer for our snowplowing business. This is a rural setting so most drives have some length to them.

So that's my situation. I currently have a NH 2120 with 35 PTO hp and a Woods BB720. Very soon my TN0DA will be be here. That will have 60 PTO hp. I plan on keeping my BB720. I have thought about sickle bar but it seems they are high on the maintance end. The local towns are getting rid of the sickle bar mowers and are going into a drum type mower (???), it has many little knives (???). They say they cut faster and cleaner. My other option would be a ditch bank mower (rotary). Also a flail mower but seems very expensive and the cut doesn't seem that good in tall thick grasses.

Any other types of equipment ??

Thoughts and comments please!!

/ Off-set mowing options #2  
I believe some of smaller flail mowers can be side shifted. Have you looked at them?

/ Off-set mowing options #3  
Yeah they are referring to a flail mower. I use one at home and like it more than a rotary cutter or sickle mower. We had a sickle and ended up selling it and keeping the flail mower.

A good brand for a flail mower is John Deere. I have had mine for 12 years and no prob. It is a JD 25A with an offset of 8 inches.

The JD 390 is a flail mower which you can get an offset of 0 inches, 12 inches, or 26 inches. It is really slick with the 26 inch offset. You would want the 26 inch offset for you road side mowing. I set one up not too long ago and they are really well built. I like my John Deere mowers and parts will always be available. Also the knives are re usable once they get dull. We sharpen ours once per year. There are 36 knives that unbolt on my JD 25A. There will be more on the 390 and it requires a min PTO hp or 35. You will have enough to run it. List price is like 4 grand but worth it. The 25A is like 3 grand or so.

/ Off-set mowing options #4  
I saw a brochure for something that u are describing from Bush Hog...its an off set rotory cutter that uses a hydro arm off the rear and can cut those ditches and the like...check their web site and a dealer for more info...the county where I live uses something very similar to mow our ditches...seems to work very well and if a tree branch is in the way the guy just raises the mower and cuts it off...pretty neat thing.

/ Off-set mowing options #5  
I've been kind of interested in this myself. I am the trailmaster for a local snowmobile club and we have to brush the trails. Would love something to help out on the TC but I think she maybe too small (we have about 120 miles of trails).

I just saw that state Trails Bureau come by to take care of the old railroad bed. Not sure ont the tractor (I think it was a Case), but it had a Boom flail mower on it. Seems pretty common around here for that type of work. (Hey Jimg, they should be passing behind your house any day now I figure (if they haven't already).

I saw this on eBay last night and though of you Rowski..

Big flail mower

There was also a 39" hydraulic flail mower for sale in Keene NH that you could probably rig up.

Good luck, and keep us updated I am interested in hearing what you do.

/ Off-set mowing options #6  
I have a 80" Woods DO80. It is offset about 30" to the right. It takes some getting used to as when you turn, that offset really swings out. The thing is a beast. It's too big for my L3830 in trms of weight. It is a brush mower with 2 spindles, 4 blades and has 3 or 4 parallel belts driving the blades. They have never been replaced but still look new. Having the belts seems to aid in shock resistance.

/ Off-set mowing options #7  
Hi Dave,
Ive seen that unit a time or two and it sure does 'damage' on either side of the trail. I think youre right about the 24 being undersize...at least for most of the trail.

/ Off-set mowing options #8  
I haven't seen the work they've done with it. Do the just mow down the sides or do the also trim the trees of low hanging branches?

/ Off-set mowing options #9  
Both but not at the same time. A crew comes thru a saws down anything too big for the flail mower...volunteers I guess. The mower knocks down all the small saplings/grass/bushes 8' or so on either side of the trail.

/ Off-set mowing options
Done soon more searching and chatting with farmers and an equipment dealers.

Sickle bar is out the question unless I can get a free one. The are to fragile to mow road side and can clog up easily too.

Fail mowers to expensive and don't cut to well in very thick tall grass.

Disc mowers are very pricey but are supposed to be the best. They do not clog. Can cut at faster ground speeds and in wet conditions. The more expensive ones have discs that are running in parallel rather than series. That way if you blow out a disc drive you don't ruin the rest. A lot of state and municipal are switching to disc mowers, at least on my area.

Drum mowers look like the best option. Work on the same principle as the disc mowers but instead of having multiple disc the have two large disc. Also are a lot less money.

Rotary bank mowers I haven't had much time to look at yet. They look heavy and some what expensive but I haven't gotten a quote back yet.

Anybody have any experience with drum style mowers??