Oil & Fuel Oil capacity 2130 different

/ Oil capacity 2130 different #1  

Ausmac

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 188, JD 2130, Fiat 650
Hi all. Just changed a lift pump out on the 2130 and dropped the oil as it had been taking on diesel. The book says 9 quarts oil capacity. Can anyone tell me why mine only took 6.5 quarts? I did not change the filter and verified the dipstick is correct AT21534 stamped on. Also verified the oil pressure warning light works and was not lit when running.

/ Oil capacity 2130 different #2  
Maybe it has 2 oil drain plugs......:confused3:

/ Oil capacity 2130 different
Just went and had another look. Definitely one sump plug.

/ Oil capacity 2130 different #4  
Generally the oil capacity is given for a completely empty engine - like new or freshly overhauled. That could account for some of the difference. Not replacing the oil filter could account for a bit more.

Thanks. I was wondering if the sump pan maybe had a lot of sludge on it displacing the oil and therefore taking less?

/ Oil capacity 2130 different #6  
Trying to determine if there is sludge in the oil pan may be worthwhile, for peace of mind if nothing else.

The part drawing looks to be compartmentalized a bit, and I see that the pan gasket is still available.. part # R49515, if you went ahead and removed the oil pan.. sludge won't be helping the oil pump in that pan if very bad.

Attachments

• 2130_oilpan.jpg
    2130_oilpan.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 291
   / Oil capacity 2130 different #7  
JD2520 RC utilizes same engine oil pan & dipstick & it lists engine oil cap @ 7qts

/ Oil capacity 2130 different #8  
The oil filter will be some of the oil not accounted for. Does your tractor have an engine oil cooler? That could also account for some of the oil.

7 quarts Jim? Maybe I am wrong then. Checked a few sites yesterday and they all said 9 (or 8.5 litres). Zebra I have a section on the radiator which I thought was trans cooler? The sump pan is a simple drop off job right? New gasket and away I go?

/ Oil capacity 2130 different #10  
7 quarts Jim? Maybe I am wrong then. Checked a few sites yesterday and they all said 9 (or 8.5 litres). Zebra I have a section on the radiator which I thought was trans cooler? The sump pan is a simple drop off job right? New gasket and away I go?

JD parts shows an adapter at the oil filter for an oil cooler. I've never actually seen one. The cooler to right of the radiator is a transmission cooler.
I would not drop the oil pan. It is simple unbolt and new gasket.