Oil Filter, Oil TC45D

/ Oil Filter, Oil TC45D #1  

Vinto

I am looking for optimal maintenance procedures for a NH TC-45D. It has 275 hours already. I have the both the NH Oil Filter for $8.99 and the Walmart ST16/Fram PH16 cross reference for $2.04. I am using Delvac 1 (Mobil 5W-40W synthetic) and plan on 50 or 75 hour oil changes. Anyone have any thoughts on maintenance routines. I am a former Mech commander used to owning the maintenance on a battalion of M2/M3 Bradley diesels, and M1 Abrams turbines and the wife is a former Army helicopter attack pilot/maintainer so we are a bit strict about OCI's and maintenance procedures.

/ Oil Filter, Oil TC45D #2  
So based on your experience and the guidance offered in the operator's manual, choose a maintanence program that suits you and use it. This group will not offer collective responses that will amount to a consensus. I doubt you will do your tractor harm. Personally, I am more concerned with hydrostatic transmission oil and filters than engine oil and filters.

/ Oil Filter, Oil TC45D #3  
I agree with RickB. Just follow the guidelines in the Owner's Manual (You did get a manual, didn't you?). Those Manual guidelines will ensure your tractor is maintained properly. Any additional maintenance you do or "better than recommended" products will be your own personal preference and you should do whatever gives you the best feeling of confidence. I cannot remember one single instance here on TBN where I've heard of someone following NH's recommendations and subsequently have a failure due to lubrication issues. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Oil Filter, Oil TC45D #4  
I would only suggest you don't use the Fram filter cross reference. If you want to cross, go to either the Wix or Purolator web site and get their recommendation and a little higher quality filter.

/ Oil Filter, Oil TC45D #5  
No offense to you Vinto, but sometimes I wonder why people want to complicate their lives.

People drop tens of thousands of dollars into a tractor and want to save a few bucks on a filter. I don't understand this. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

My life is made much simpler by:

1. Following the recommended maintenance schedule in the Operator's Manual.
2. Using oil that meets, or exceeds, New Holland's recommendations
3. Using New Holland filters.

And I have to drive a 30 mile round trip to the dealer. So, when I make the trip, I stock up with enough supplies for a year.

/ Oil Filter, Oil TC45D #6  
When I first purchased my TC-40D I remember asking the same question and getting the same response. All my filters have been supplied by New Holland ever since and I use synthetic oil for peace of mind. I could do these things cheaper but I elect not to, it's just not worth the risk in my opinion.

/ Oil Filter, Oil TC45D #7  
Mike, I guess I'm one who complicates things a bit./forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I do perform mainenance at (in fact, often before) the recommended intervals, but I have a hard time using NH's filters. No different however than not using GM's or Ford's or Chrysler's. NH doesn't make their own filters in much the same way as the auto companies don't. I still can get a good quality filter and in many cases, even better by cross referencing to Wix or Purolator which I can obtain locally - my dealer is about 40 minutes away.

Have you seen the ridiculously small filter NH now puts on these machines? I have a 40D and the replacement was even smaller than the original. Heck, the filter for the TC 29 and 33 is the same one used on my Craftsman lawn tractor? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Anyway, my point is, that just like many other components on other equipment, equavalents and ofter superior choices are out there, often at significantly less $$$. ... just my humble opinion.

/ Oil Filter, Oil TC45D
I actually used a three way Wix/Baldwin/Purolator cross to find the filter. The ST filter offered by Walmart are made my Champion Labs, "Champion Auto parts" and are reputed by UOA's to be much better than Fram which is not very high quality. With the money saved in filter costs you can about halve the oil change interval which is much more useful in extending small diesel engine life if you are using a good HDEO.

We will pull a UOA at 50 hours and and see if the filter is worth using. We cut a used NH filter in half and the effective surface area of it's filter media is pretty small. Yes, I am probably making it too complicated but all of my cars and trucks are running well past 300K miles due to stringent maintenance and I want to maximize the utility of my tractor's lifespan as well. I had hoped that there might be some collective experience about engine oil issues to watch for with the TC45 engines. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Oil Filter, Oil TC45D #9  
I could not agree with you more. Years ago, I began using the Motorcraft FL-300 on my Ford 1720 and have continued to use that filter and those that cross to it on my TC 40D. Recently I've used the Wix 51068, STP S16, AC PF20 and Purolator L14670. Each of these cross to the FL300 and all have has similar bypass pressure characteristics, much larger filter area, same thread and same seal in a larger diameter and slightly longer length can than the miniature filter NH now uses.

/ Oil Filter, Oil TC45D
We have run the TC-45D's engine 40 hours pretty hard since changing to the Walmart ST16 Filter and Delvac 1 oil and the oil is still amazingly clear. The previous owner ran Rotella Synthetic for the first 250 hours but I am surprised at how clean the oil remains. The engine in the TC-45 is the cleanest running diesel I have ever seen. Including my 2005 CPassat TDI and a 2003 Peugeot Van with a "clean" 2.0L common rail diesel I owned while working in Germany. We will run the oil to 75 hours before pulling a UOA.