Oil for rotary mower gearbox

/ Oil for rotary mower gearbox #1  

aarolar

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX4800
What oil s needed for a rotary mower gearbox? I bought my gearbox and built my deck and frame so I have no manual. Will just any good gear oil suffice?

/ Oil for rotary mower gearbox #3  
My mower gearbox uses 80/90 as SSdoxie recommended.

/ Oil for rotary mower gearbox
Figured thanks

/ Oil for rotary mower gearbox #5  
Yep, any good gear oil.

I use 85/140 on one of mine, and 00 grease in another. Light weight grease is usually okay too.

/ Oil for rotary mower gearbox #6  
Yep, 80w90 or 75w90 synthetic. I usually have the latter on hand because of commercial truck use.

/ Oil for rotary mower gearbox #7  
Yep, 80w90 or 75w90 synthetic. I usually have the latter on hand because of commercial truck use.

I like the synthetic too on new ones. I put it in and forget about it. On new ones (and surely upper end old ones) I like the fact that OEMs have started using ventilating fill plugs which allow the gearbox to breathe and take the pressure off the output shaft seal. Going to bet that a lot of current leakers wouldn't be leaking if the pressure was allowed to vent when it builds up.......for those reading and wanting one rather than the conventional ½" pipe plug, auto parts stores carry them, especially the neighborhood mom and pop shops in farming communities.

/ Oil for rotary mower gearbox
I like the synthetic too on new ones. I put it in and forget about it. On new ones (and surely upper end old ones) I like the fact that OEMs have started using ventilating fill plugs which allow the gearbox to breathe and take the pressure off the output shaft seal. Going to bet that a lot of current leakers wouldn't be leaking if the pressure was allowed to vent when it builds up.......for those reading and wanting one rather than the conventional ½" pipe plug, auto parts stores carry them, especially the neighborhood mom and pop shops in farming communities.
Thanks for the idea