Oil question for front axle

/ Oil question for front axle #12  
So it is ATF automatic transmission fluid in there but prolly not as good as automotive ATF? So confused about all these tractor specific fluids..in the old days I would 100 percent just throw some gear oil in that front axle...
Buddy of mine and I were sitting around drinking a beer or three when he told me about when he was the lead Mechanic for a big Farm. I'm talking thousands of acres. Thousands.

They had all kinds of pickers, harvesters, combines and other equipment that they used and he was responsible for keep it running. All of it.

He told me how they had an old Pickup that they kept two 55 gallon drums in. One for Oil, one for Hydraulic Fluid. So they could do field changes and additions. Sometimes the shop was many, many miles away. Over 200 at times.

The Hydraulic Drum of Oil needed to be replaced because it had been emptied so they sent it back to the shop area. The guys at the shop saw which one was empty and because it was so dusty they didn't realize it was hydraulic fluid and replaced the drum with engine oil.

He said they ran it all summer and when they replaced the drum the next time, they noticed.

Nothing ever happened. Nothing. We're talking million-dollar equipment here.

Do I recommend it? Nope. Just a funny story.

/ Oil question for front axle #13  
80w90, can't go wrong.

/ Oil question for front axle #14  
Engine oil will work just fine in your hydraulic system a few backhoe owners around here used it exclusively for yrs.
I would suggest anyone saying 80/90 W oil over trans hydraulic in the front axle is only expressing an opinion not a fact.

/ Oil question for front axle #15  
Hoping there might be an oil expert that can answer this but if kioti factory filled my front axle with hydrolic oil could I not use this ATF when I do thee 50 hour service? I was always under the impression that ATF was superior to hydraulic fluid and wasn't used simply cause of cost. I have 3 crates of thiss ATF and no use for it. I also have a crate of synthetic 80-90 but feel that the viscosity of ATF would flowView attachment 782846View attachment 782847 better and lubricate the axle turning spindles better as they are integral to the axle.
remember that the "80w90" of gear oil is on a different scale than your engine oil - 80w90 is similar to 20w50 engine oil, as far as viscosity goes:
1675816837500.png

/ Oil question for front axle #17  
Engine oil will work just fine in your hydraulic system a few backhoe owners around here used it exclusively for yrs.
I would suggest anyone saying 80/90 W oil over trans hydraulic in the front axle is only expressing an opinion not a fact.
I admitted as much. But it is opinion based upon quite a bit of study (at lubrication provider sites, not blogs) and conversations with mechanics and mechanical engineers who specialize in reliability.

There’s a reason that “gear oil” is named gear oil, and perhaps it’s use in low speed gears like the front axle mechanism is one application.

As for why it comes from the factory with hydraulic oil - that is to aid in exactly the opposite; you want a lower viscosity, lesser film forming material to help flush away break in particles.

Kioti allows both so by definition it will go to opinion as to which each user chooses. A well informed opinion will likely end up with the use of 80w90, but to each his own. I am only responsible for my own machine

/ Oil question for front axle #18  
I admitted as much. But it is opinion based upon quite a bit of study (at lubrication provider sites, not blogs) and conversations with mechanics and mechanical engineers who specialize in reliability.

There’s a reason that “gear oil” is named gear oil, and perhaps it’s use in low speed gears like the front axle mechanism is one application.

As for why it comes from the factory with hydraulic oil - that is to aid in exactly the opposite; you want a lower viscosity, lesser film forming material to help flush away break in particles.

Kioti allows both so by definition it will go to opinion as to which each user chooses. A well informed opinion will likely end up with the use of 80w90, but to each his own. I am only responsible for my own machine
What does Kioti use in the rear end differential??

/ Oil question for front axle #19  
I believe it's the hydraulic fluid, at least on the HST.

/ Oil question for front axle #20  
I believe it's the hydraulic fluid, at least on the HST.
And which one is bigger and badder? I'd say, the rear. Just a guess. :)

But Kioti does bias the front drive by a lot. 17% I read somewhere. That's a lot. Which, to me, would mean there's a lot of stress on the Front Diff.

OTOH, I'm not in 4WD unless I have to be. Some people have to be in 4WD a lot, I guess.

I would say, for them, using a good Diff Lube is a good idea.

Or not. I just don't know for sure. Engineers? Chemical Engineers? I'd take their word over mine but they're not all that and a happy meal. I'd be more inclined to take a Mechanic's word for it. The Company Engineer is more interested in keep it together until it's out of warranty.

And the Factory Fill is Hydraulic oil......!

I'd say that if you use your tractor hard, use a good 80w-90 gear lube in the front end. Using the very best in lubricants is never a bad idea, IMHO. Don't know if you can use a Synthetic or not. I don't see why not, there's no synchronizers in there, AFAIK. No 'yellow metals'...... Right? (Synthetic gear oil is hard on 'yellow' metals)

The OP was asking if he could use some ATF he's got laying around in his front diff. To that end I say, "Why Not?"

As usual, we can get off-topic pretty easy. When I say 'we' I include me.