OK...let's see those pyles!!

/ OK...let's see those pyles!! #11  
Some firewood, some pulpwood - tradeoff for help downing it. Most of it downed/cut up by end of May. Not great, but should be decently dry by time it's needed.

Attachments

• DSCN0640.JPG
    DSCN0640.JPG
    650.3 KB · Views: 77
   / OK...let's see those pyles!!
008-7.jpg

Somewhere around 40 cords. All Black Locust except for 4 cord Willow.

splitting.jpg

6-7 cords B. Locust waiting to be split and added to the big pile.

This is really cheating. I am retired and cutting wood is my recreation - out there at least once/week all spring/summer/fall. That is the accumulation of 3 years and my winters supply is already under cover. Trying to build a 'retirement stash' for when I get too stove up to do it anymore, 75 now and that time is coming on fast.

The B. Locust is due to the Locust Borer. It hit here about 10 years ago and is killing everythign to the West of me. Just finished Friday clear cutting a farmstead (that pile wating for splitting is from there).

Of course some of my neighbors think I am crazy, the rest _know_ I am.

Harry K
Harry K

Harry,

That's an industrial grade stack of firewood.

If there's a market in your area, that's gotta be worth a few pennies.

/ OK...let's see those pyles!! #13  
O.K. Here's some pics of last years pile in progress.

Attachments

• 139677d1252633815-firewood-gathering-power-trac-holz-hausen-01.jpg
    139677d1252633815-firewood-gathering-power-trac-holz-hausen-01.jpg
    442.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 139679d1252633815-firewood-gathering-power-trac-holz-hausen-03.jpg
    139679d1252633815-firewood-gathering-power-trac-holz-hausen-03.jpg
    472.1 KB · Views: 134
  • 139680d1252633815-firewood-gathering-power-trac-holz-hausen-05.jpg
    139680d1252633815-firewood-gathering-power-trac-holz-hausen-05.jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 147
  • 139832d1252793538-firewood-gathering-power-trac-holz-hausen-06.jpg
    139832d1252793538-firewood-gathering-power-trac-holz-hausen-06.jpg
    406.3 KB · Views: 118
  • 147074d1259472430-firewood-gathering-power-trac-holz-hausen10.jpg
    147074d1259472430-firewood-gathering-power-trac-holz-hausen10.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 458
   / OK...let's see those pyles!! #14  
Moss, that is cool! How do you get out of the middle once you build the walls all the way around? :p

Here is my woodshed. I must admit the pic is a cheat though as last year I had enough wood elsewhere that I did not have to use any from the shed so it's an old pic (but still true today).

Attachments

• woodshed.jpg
    woodshed.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 106
   / OK...let's see those pyles!! #15  
Well you gentlemen have put my 8 cords of wood to shame..artist & size & number of cords..but we all will be warm when snow piling and winds howling. :)

/ OK...let's see those pyles!! #16  
DSC00814.jpg

Here's my first woodpile, ready to be covered with a tarp and used next year. I had to google Heron's Formula to get the area of a nonright triangle and it's 1.875 cords. Not nearly as impressive as some of yours, I see, but I am nevertheless a proud woodpile-mom and splitting and stacking is my favorite hobby now.

Moss, that is cool! How do you get out of the middle once you build the walls all the way around? :p

With that stake in the middle I was thinking Joan of Arc. :laughing:

/ OK...let's see those pyles!! #18  
With that stake in the middle I was thinking Joan of Arc. :laughing:

Yea, my neighbors started asking who I was going to sacrifice when I stared building it. :laughing:

The rumor is that by stacking it that way it creates a chimney effect and draws air in and up, thus drying it faster. I don't buy that argument at all, but it sure does look nice, takes up a lot less space in the yard and is kind of fun to do. I liked it so much that I did it again this year. I will have to say, though, I was pleasantly surprised at how dry the wood was as I peeled it away over the winter. I keep a tarp over the top of it only. I put a tarp over the whole thing and all that did was trap in the moisture. Over the top keeps the snow out and the sides always seem to dry in a day after a rain. I like it! :thumbsup:

Yea, my neighbors started asking who I was going to sacrifice when I stared building it. :laughing:

The rumor is that by stacking it that way it creates a chimney effect and draws air in and up, thus drying it faster. I don't buy that argument at all, but it sure does look nice, takes up a lot less space in the yard and is kind of fun to do. I liked it so much that I did it again this year. I will have to say, though, I was pleasantly surprised at how dry the wood was as I peeled it away over the winter. I keep a tarp over the top of it only. I put a tarp over the whole thing and all that did was trap in the moisture. Over the top keeps the snow out and the sides always seem to dry in a day after a rain. I like it! :thumbsup:

One can pick up allot of clever stuff like this on these forums. Thanks for sharing.