OK to wash the engine

/ OK to wash the engine #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
My 180 is pristine, thanks to a paint job, new tires & new dash. But the sprucing up did not extend under the hood. I want to sell it this spring. So I was thinking of hitting the engine & surrounding area with Simple Green, letting it soak a few minutes & hosing it off. I don't have a pressure washer.

1. Is it OK to wash a diesel?
2. Any better ways to clean up the engine area. Not looking for super clean, just want to make the painted parts visible.
3. Any areas that should not get wet?

Thanks.

/ OK to wash the engine #2  
I have used a pump sprayer & mineral spirits / kerosene to clean my engine .You shouldn't have any problems using what you are going to use

/ OK to wash the engine #3  
If it is grime, then Dawn dish washing liquid is great about removing oil and grease and not harm the paint. It is easy on your hands. Mix it 25/75 with water and saturate all the bad spots with a 50/50 mix. The 25/75 is for the light duty work. Start the engine first and get it warm. Spray the solutions on and let them work for at least a half hour. Then wash off with a powerful stream of water and watch the grime disappear. Repeat as necessary in the problem spots. A soft bristle paint brush is also helpful in the heavy grime areas to break it down.
Dusty

/ OK to wash the engine #4  
I use simple green and hose water. It keeps her clean. Do the same with my Dodge Cummins.

/ OK to wash the engine #5  
I'm another one who sprays on Simple Green, lets it sit a few minutes, then washes it with the garden hose. And that's for my cars and pickups as well as tractors. Then I usually blow off excess water with the air hose from the compressor, and I always then run the engine and drive the vehicle long enough to get it well up into operating temperature to dry out everything under the hood. The engine might be fairly warm to start with, but I do not hit a hot engine with cold water.

/ OK to wash the engine #6  
mfrost said:
I use simple green and hose water. It keeps her clean. Do the same with my Dodge Cummins.

Forgot that I use my leaf blower to get the water out of those little crevices and dry her out before I put her to bed. :rolleyes:

I think simple green is just a little bit more environmentally friendly than Kerosene.;)

/ OK to wash the engine #7  
Since the Government buys a lot of Simple Green, you all must be Government Employees.

Your best money is spent on a product called Greased Lightning for any type of Grease, Oil and Fuel stain cleaning; where regular detergent would not work. Very easy on the finish, works much better then Simple Green, ZEP degreaser or any Solvent product (Kero/Gas). As earth friendly as they come.

You can spray it on and hose it off, if you have any that is thick caked on, you can reapply and still get excellent results. You cannot get that with Simple Green. Back in 2000, I used what was supplied (Simple Green and Zep Degreasers). I used these products daily in the motorpool, one day I was told about Greased Lighting and was skeptical, then one of my Soldiers brought in some in. We cleaned the engine and wheels (white rims) on a 1998 Ford Louisville and I was sold. Greased Lighting was so good we switched and we went from using several products to 1.

Available from you GSA Catalogue, Commissary, or Local Wal-Mart.

The dawn dishsoap works well for light cleaning but I find it streaks the paint finish on my JD hood. Then you have to re-wax.

BTW, I have cleaned engines with Easy Off oven cleaner and it worked pretty good, especially on old caked/backed on debris, the engine needs to warm. If you don’t have, a pressure washer, load up the tractor and take it down to the car wash. I have done that on occasion, the tire cleaner soap works well for degreasing.

/ OK to wash the engine #8  
Is it OK to wash a diesel?

I would think about this before I did it.

Where is the oil and grime going to go when you wash it off? Thats correct, right onto your driveway or yard.

I have thought about cleaning oily surfaces on my tractor, and my cars, but I have a well. I have no idea which way the underground aquifers run, and I do not want old engine oil & grime working its way toward my water supply.

Accidents and drips I have to accept, but deliberately adding more is a question.

About the best solution I can think of is spray mineral spirits on it & catch the runoff in kitty litter in one of those whole-car drip pans. Then into the landfill.

/ OK to wash the engine #9  
I think simple green is just a little bit more environmentally friendly than Kerosene.;)

You still have to be carefull about run off of the greese & oil no matter you use as cleaning agent . Kerosene or simple green.

/ OK to wash the engine #10  
I like Greased Lightning for a lot of things, but degreasing an engine isn't one of them. It does contain a mild form of an acid I believe. I have come to this conclusion as a result of using it with my bare hands, and how it turns them red and they start to burn. If it isn't an acid, then it is an alkali, but either way, it might not be good for the electrical wiring. Have you had any problems of this nature and not known why?