OK, you geniuses

/ OK, you geniuses #21  
Just over 21000 is my guess but yes I suspect there is some cryptic answer here.

Hey, are the bricks laid using the 3"x6" face up?

Let us know........

/ OK, you geniuses
The absolute correct answer is none, since you are in the planning stages. As CSAW and others said, wanting is not doing. But, if we over look that important fact, the answer would be one. You need one to start the project, and the last one finishes it. In between, you'll find the rest of them. And no, you can't have my DENSA hat. So there. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ OK, you geniuses #23  
Ok Mike You win.

But I have to admit, that was a stupid question in that case /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

The real answer should be approx 22570 from a Quantity Surveyor's point of view anyway /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ OK, you geniuses #24  
I won't stop until I have a hat. I'm getting up early tomorrow just to go find one./w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

/ OK, you geniuses #25  
None. Bricks don't finish jobs.

RonL

/ OK, you geniuses #26  
I'm right behind you CSAW for the hat. I know a winner and you were right on the money. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ OK, you geniuses #27  
First off, Mensa, if memory serves has only one membership requirement and that is that a candidate have acceptable documentation that they are in the top 2% of the population in the IQ category. Various forms of "proof" are acceptable not only recognized IQ tests. For example, sufficiently high scores on the graduate record exam are qualifying. There are plenty of Mensa types who can't poor water out of a boot unless the instructions are written on the heel. IQ doesn't equate to common sense, social Q or a host of other desireable qualities. It ranks right up there with height, eye color, and other at least partially inheritable traits over which we have little control.

Given the well above average intelligence of the majority of the TBN folks, I'd be safe in guessing that whether or not many of us are members, quite a lot of us meet the requirement. Really, top two percent is not THAT high. Elliminate the computer illiterate etc. who are under represented here and you enrichen the mixture. I'd be amazed if at least 10% of us couldn't qualify.

Now as to the answer... As this is an old, old, question, I knew the "right" answer but dissagree with it.

Since NO JOB is finished until the paper work is done the last brick doesn't finish the job, the paperwork does.

Now you must consider the number of bricks required to "do the work" prior to being able to finish the job by completing the paperwork. Several folks took a stab at that. Running bond? Why? Same number of bricks, just too much work with the brickset at the ends of the rows.

One parting comment: There are other sources for brain teasers than Reader's Digest.

Patrick

/ OK, you geniuses
Patrick, you a Mensa member?????? Just wondering, sounds like you were put off by this.

First off, only IQ tests are recognized. <font color=blue>Mensa has no other eligibility requirements other than IQ testing. </font color=blue> This is taken right from their web site.

An old old question? Could be, it came from my psycology professor way back when. It was posed to make us think about the question, not the bricks.

One parting comment: did you see this in readers digest, or are you making the assumption? Never mind, don't answer that. But, you do take the fun out of things.

/ OK, you geniuses #29  
No, I am not a member of Mensa. I was not put off by your question in any manner. I enjoyed reading the responses. I tried to participate with regard to my "non-standard" answer regarding paperwork. As I thougt the original a tad dated, its having been in Reader's Digest within the last year, I think. My Reader's Digest comment was not a slight. I suscribe and find it a very welcome read. My one regret and continuing challenge is to get a perfect score on the "Word Power" quiz. So far I think I did it maybe twice in my life.

Mensa. I have been invited to join a few times but declined as I thought I didn't really need anything they could do for me. I have read their newsletter (borrowed from an aquaintance) and then still thought it wasn't for me. Loved their advertisements from members. Stuff like "Buy insurance from me I'm a Mensan" or "Let me pump your septic cause I'm a Mensan" or "get into this (insert name of favorite pyramid scheme here) ground floor opportunity to retire wealthy in a couple minutes of your spare time while working at home". Please, Mensans, exercise your sense of humor and not castigate me for any perceived afront. I'm JOKING! I'm sure for many folks, Mensa provides a positive environment, I just didn't think I wanted to join.

Supposedly it puts you in contact with folks with things in common regarding interests, humor etc. I find plenty of intellectual stimulation on TBN and other sources. Most folks here are not humor impaired. Even with the difficulty of communicating nuances such as I just experienced with you, I still think TBN is more fun and useful than a Mensa meeting.

Mensa recognized IQ tests, including their own, are qualifying. That information is correct. I assure you that it is, or at least was, possible to qualify solely through your GRE (Graduate record Exam) scores if they are high enough. I did. Different scores are required depending on the date of the test and maybe some other specifics but I don't remember. As my first bout in grad school did not require taking the GRE (same school as BS) I didn't take the GRE until 1994 when I went back to grad school in Instructional Technology at a different university. Of course, subsequently, Mensa may have changed their policy. As of 2000 or early 2001 I think it was still that way, as I recall.

What your psych prof was doing before it had been given its current name was to introduce "Thinking outside the box."

As far as my taking the fun out of things... I don't get it. I enjoyed the question, the answers, the opportunity to try to offer an answer that too was thinking out of the box. What part took away the fun, the part where in response to your thinking outside of the box question, I responded outside of the box you expected/wanted?

If I, in fact, I reduced the fun for the participants by responding in kind, then I appologize for that and promise to do it again when a similar opportunity presents itself.

V/R,

Patrick

/ OK, you geniuses #30  
<font color=blue>Elliminate the computer illiterate etc. who are under represented here and you enrichen the mixture.</font color=blue>

Interesting. Please help me with this. I am having trouble grasping this concept.

Al