Old Mig wire

/ Old Mig wire #1  

MountainBuck

Silver Member
Tractor
Ventrac 4500P; Kubota RTV-X1100C
I've had some 70S3 mig wire that is greater than 5 years old.

It is still clean but wondering if the age is a problem. Maybe oxidation?

/ Old Mig wire #3  
Wires does not degrade over time..... BUT surface rust does make it a problem.... Keep it clean and dry and it should be good forever....
Flux core may be different if it gets damp it may cause flux to corroder (proper phrase?) from inside out ....

/ Old Mig wire #4  
Not really so long as the outer isn't corroded. I use a couple cigarette filters in line with my wire feeds to remove any corrosion when I run older wire and I buy mine in bulk anyway. I prefer INE wire, it has less spatter and welds cleanly.

/ Old Mig wire #5  
I don't use my wire welder very often so what is the best way to keep rust and stuff off the wire?

/ Old Mig wire #7  
I don't use my wire welder very often so what is the best way to keep rust and stuff off the wire?
I've been keeping mine in Zip-Lock bags and throw a desiccant bag in with it. Works for me.

/ Old Mig wire #8  
My MIG wire is over 10 years old. I don't do much to it other than keep it loaded in the machine which keeps it clean and free of rust.

/ Old Mig wire #9  
70S3 is not worth welding with to begin with. It's a budget wire and has little to no deoxidizers. It welds badly unless the metal is 100% clean and mill scale and rust free. Recycle it, because if it has rust, it won't be worth tearing up your liner to try to weld with it.