Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions

/ Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions
The electric PTO had quit working, after I got off 1 time to move something. I traced it to the push/pull switch. Local auto parts had a Made in USA replacement very similar to original. $33.

$393. + 33.00
= $426. New running total.

/ Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions #122  
The electric PTO had quit working, after I got off 1 time to move something. I traced it to the push/pull switch. Local auto parts had a Made in USA replacement very similar to original. $33.

$393. + 33.00
= $426. New running total.
Not exactly gonna break the bank on that one, huh, Kyle?(y)

I spent more than that on a hydro oil and filter change last time on the tractor. :oops: :rolleyes:

I haven't posted on the Beast for a while. I've used it multiple times to mow since July myself, (my daughter and son use the Deere riding mower usually).

I must've bought the last 3 oregon blades like these, because they show unavailable now. NOTE: These blades are correct length as posted, but the stock blades are maybe a bit shorter than advertised. Maybe about 1/8" - 3/16". Well, 24 3/4" is TOO long. The design of these decks have specific blade sizes, and I guess the stock blades are slightly shorter than what they spec. They are THAT close when mounted, and they are not timed and syncronized. I ended up putting new blades on the 2 outer spindles, and put the best stock blade I had back in the center. These blades are 1/4" inch thick, so they are fairly beefy.
Amazon.com: Oregon 3 Pack 391-731 Gator G6 Blade 24-3/4" : Home & Kitchen

Maybe I could have loosened the spindles and moved them farther apart even a bit would've helped the blade clearances.

When the hydraulic fluid gets hot, you have to rev it to max to lift the heavy 72" mower. I believe maybe the sundstrand pump could use freshening up. The problem is the thing is very difficult to get out....and like I've mentioned, no one seems to have a true Steiner 230 service manual. I have an owner's manual but not a service manual. It will still lift the deck, but only at higher rpm's.

Don, I still haven't bent up a new grill yet.

I'm quite happy with it.

Was mowing a couple of acres Saturday and when I was about finished, I first noticed the steering getting "notchy". Headed back up to the barn and barely made it...one of the steering hoses had burst. Went ahead and had the supply company make both of them "while I'm in there". $51 each

Had to jack it up to snake the hoses through the body. Job took about 3 hours or a bit more.

So add $102 to the total...

$426.
+102. hoses
= $528
+ $85. for the Oregon blades (no longer available as of now)
$613. New running total.

/ Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions #125  
Well, Kyle, you're spending a bit more on the Steiner now, but you've also seen the potential it holds and hopefully don't mind spending the money so much.

/ Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions #126  
I have a Steiner 525 sitting out back with several implements that I need to just put on ebay. In the garage, I have several replacement belts that I ordered in case I needed them. I will tell you, that cheap belts aren't worth it. I have two of the 72" decks and when cheap belts are used, it shows.
Does the 230 use the same front pickup/hookup design as the others? A blower and a 10K generator are nice to have....
David from jax

I have a Steiner 525 sitting out back with several implements that I need to just put on ebay. In the garage, I have several replacement belts that I ordered in case I needed them. I will tell you, that cheap belts aren't worth it. I have two of the 72" decks and when cheap belts are used, it shows.
Does the 230 use the same front pickup/hookup design as the others? A blower and a 10K generator are nice to have....
David from jax
not 100% sure, but I believe most of the Steiner/Ventrac stuff is compatible. Others please chime in if I'm wrong.

There are multiple Facebook groups, that buy and sell Steiner/Ventrac and attachments. 525's go for pretty good money on tractorhouse.

I bought my 72" deck's belt maybe from the V-belt guys online. So far, so good. The main belts that matters IMO are the PTO and on the arm to the attachment.

/ Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions #128  
not 100% sure, but I believe most of the Steiner/Ventrac stuff is compatible. Others please chime in if I'm wrong.

There are multiple Facebook groups, that buy and sell Steiner/Ventrac and attachments. 525's go for pretty good money on tractorhouse.

I bought my 72" deck's belt maybe from the V-belt guys online. So far, so good. The main belts that matters IMO are the PTO and on the arm to the attachment.
I had the most problem with the belt that drives the spindles.
David from jax