On the way in or out?

/ On the way in or out?
The chinese vs. Grey market was actually what prompted me to start this thread. The dealer that I bought my grey market from is now selling Jinmas exclusively...No more grey market tractors. He says that he's a little more comfortable selling the jinmas because the future is a little more secure.

He was selling both at the time I bought mine, and I got the grey market. I thought that it was a better value all around.

/ On the way in or out? #22  
FWIW I think you made the better choice. I would question how much this dealer truly "knows" about this market. We, and other dealers who have been in this market for years, see a great future as more and more parts become available aftermarket, as well as ROPS, and general information support. The Chinese tractors were marketed by the Alamo Group as "Rhino" back in the 90s. Most dealers soon discovered that all they were was temporary reservoirs for oil (much of it ending up on a dealer's lot even before the unit could be sold). Now how many 10 year old Rhinos do you see working out there, versus 25 year old Japanese compacts? How many do you see in the used market? I imagine they have improved their product to some degree, but the Japanese compact is a known quantity of significant quality, and one line in particular has excellent aftermarket parts support. So who is taking the bigger risk? And which future is more secure?

/ On the way in or out? #23  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( "Rhino" back in the 90s )</font>

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gifIn '95, before I eventually bought a new Kubota, I was looking for a used tractor that I could buy cheaper. One Sunday afternoon, I happened to be driving by a Cub Cadet tractor dealer's place and noticed two of what I thought appeared to be old used tractors that I might be interested in, so I stopped to look (place was closed, of course). It turned out that they were just rusty old new Rhinos. I think that may be the only Rhino tractors I've ever seen.

Of course, what we saw 10 years ago may, or may not, have little or no relation to the current crop of Chinese tractors.

/ On the way in or out?
Here are my thoughts about the grey market vs. chinese choice...

The Japanese tractors are made by the manufacturer to be sold to the Japanese farmers who make at least part of their living with these tractors. Anyone who makes their living with a piece of machinery is going to insist on quality, dependability, performance, and service.

The chinese tractors, on the other hand, are made to be sold in the US to hobby farmers (like myself). Lets face it...Most of us hobby farmers could do without the tractor if we had to. We don't have to "farm", but it makes our hobbies easier, more efficient, and fun. We're just looking for something cheap enough to get us into the seat and get the job done a few times a week.

Chinese tractors are meant to be cheap.

The other issue for me is that the greys are used. I have never been able to convince myself to buy a new vehicle because of the immediate depreciation of the value. It's like I've told my father-in-law who always buys new vehicles..."You pay for a new vehicle and I pay for a used vehicle, but today we are both driving a used vehicle." I believe that my grey market will hold its value better than the Jinma so that I have more options when it comes time to upgrade.

/ On the way in or out? #25  
Hi All,

Thanks again for the input.

As I had said, I was just curious if the Chinese tractors had had a negative impact on Grey Sales.

Also was really curious if the emissions issues for 2006 would have any impact on importing Greys.

So, as I understand it, little or no impact by Chinese tractors on the sales of Grey Market tractors and the emission issues do not apply to the importation of used tractors. That I find real interesting.

Anyways, thanks for you time and thoughts. Is greatly appreciated.

Hope I did not step on anyone's toes.

Have a great evening

Tom