One more year and I'll be a Free Man!

/ One more year and I'll be a Free Man! #1  

CJBOTA

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620 & MX5100
No I'm not in prison, but sometimes I feel like it. I'm 62 years old and I've been at my job 27 years. I am one of our company's top managers. I appreciate my job but man do I have to put up with a lot of crap. Sometimes I don't know which is worst, the workers under me, or the owners over me. If I get real lucky, I get heat from both sides about the same thing at the same time. After 27 years I came close to just walking out today.
I started a small farm three years ago (peach orchard) on the side. And yes it is alot of work but I really enjoy the fruits of my labor. ( pun intended ) Next year I plan to retire from the rat race, and just do the farm. I can't wait. I really like being my own boss and working outside. Even the physical labor feels better then the mental stress I've endured for 27 years.
The farm has had some ups and downs but at the end of the day I sleep well.

/ One more year and I'll be a Free Man! #2  
I hope you make it, and get to enjoy it. :thumbsup:

I can't identify with your job situation. I've been self-employed most of my life. But, I can relate to your feelings about the farm. I farm because I love it, and I work so that I can farm. :D

/ One more year and I'll be a Free Man! #3  
I read a quote somewhere recently that said that fun was doing work you enjoy. I'll go along with that as it has a side benefit of a sense of accomplishment.

Enjoy your retirement. For me, it has been the best time of my life!

Russ

/ One more year and I'll be a Free Man! #4  
Food for thought. Many people retire and draw their Social Security checks at 62. Often this is a mistake, because for every year you delay, your benefits increase about 8% plus an inflation adjustment to the pay on which your benefits are calculated. But if you take the SS right away, raises are just the cost of living increase, which has been zero the last 2 years, but is more typically around 2-3%. So would you prefer an 8% raise for a few years or a 2-3% raise?

So for people who can get by without drawing SS at 62 and have no reason to suspect they will croak at an early age, it's generally better to delay.

/ One more year and I'll be a Free Man! #5  
I can appreciate your commentary regarding the employment squeeze...getting it from both directions and not enjoying the outcome.

Having done what I did for as long as I did, I too found that the internal crap was the real downside to being a manager. Dealing with outside problems was what I was prepared for, but the internal stuff wears you down.

Hang in there, let the year pass, and focus on the retirement, the peaches and as you say, the freedom. I feel sorry for the guys that can't re-invent themselves from their careers.

As you have doubtless discovered, life doubles in velocity from the decade before...your next 40 years will go by even quicker then the previous 27. :thumbsup:

/ One more year and I'll be a Free Man! #6  
I felt a lot of pressure at work in IT the last couple of years. I just didn't enjoy it as much because of the politics and management.

Hang in there. Try to let some of it wash off like water off a duck's back if you can.

Retirement is all that it is cracked up to be. Best wishes. Enjoy what you can, the farm, family, etc. Life is too short to let the bassards get you.

/ One more year and I'll be a Free Man! #7  
I can relate to your situation. I worked 41 years for the same company. I enjoyed the work I did but the management kept getting worse and I was getting tired of the 62 mile drive each way. It's been 8 months since I retired. I'm glad that I did retire most of the time. I've gotten some projects done that should have gotten done a long time ago. But I also miss my old job sometimes. I guess I miss having people asking what I think and how should we fix a problem. But its not like my wife won't tell me what to do. They say it gets easier after awhile, just hang in there.

/ One more year and I'll be a Free Man! #8  
I am 48 , and self employed , like my job , look forward in years to come just taking a few days off here and there . I watched a movie last night that had a lot to do with this subject . I thought about it a lot today . Movie name about Schmidt ...... I think . Starred Jack Nicholson , 66 year old insurance executive , retired , wife died soon , daughter married jerk . I encourage eveyone to watch it .:thumbsup:

/ One more year and I'll be a Free Man! #9  
Food for thought. Many people retire and draw their Social Security checks at 62. Often this is a mistake, because for every year you delay, your benefits increase about 8% plus an inflation adjustment to the pay on which your benefits are calculated. But if you take the SS right away, raises are just the cost of living increase, which has been zero the last 2 years, but is more typically around 2-3%. So would you prefer an 8% raise for a few years or a 2-3% raise?

So for people who can get by without drawing SS at 62 and have no reason to suspect they will croak at an early age, it's generally better to delay.
That may have applied 10 years ago but with all the talk about SSI going broke I think I may want to get something of what I paid in rather than 8% more of something that may not be there. On another note, if you really don't need it why not leave it for someone that does! I am years out from collecting but have my doubts whether it will even be there. "our" politicians seem to have borrowed that money a long time ago and never really told anyone. Anyone please correct me if I am wrong in my assessment!

/ One more year and I'll be a Free Man! #10  
Retired 7 years ago at 62. Best thing I did after 40 years of doing my job. Having to work in the auto industry doing field service has a lot of mental pressure on a person. Retirement has been the best for my mental stability.
Count your days. The year will go faster than you think.