One step closer to zero emission power equipment

/ One step closer to zero emission power equipment #81  
I had to go to a board meeting in Jackson this summer and the running joke was seeing all the tesla's from California with gas generators charging them...

Common sense is good to have, but self awareness is even better.

/ One step closer to zero emission power equipment
There will be some positive side effects from the law I'd think. Improved battery technology for one and possibly more standardization. If the law targets equipment with less than 25 HP, that isn't hard for the rider or ZTR user to find. Some of the other aspects, need some modification....

/ One step closer to zero emission power equipment #83  
The market rarely needs government mandates to improve technology. If people want it (one would assume Californians do) then demand will inspire supply. Standardization is often bad for businesses. That's why apple always makes things that are proprietary. Not an advocate, just pointing it out.

/ One step closer to zero emission power equipment #84  
There will be some positive side effects from the law I'd think. Improved battery technology for one and possibly more standardization. If the law targets equipment with less than 25 HP, that isn't hard for the rider or ZTR user to find. Some of the other aspects, need some modification....
Agree, but it would be better without the “law” (it’s really a mandate).
Let the free markets decide what’s better, rather than jamb it down people’s throats

/ One step closer to zero emission power equipment #85  
CA legislates for city folk. Too bad everyone outside the city gets screwed. I am all for battery powered tools, most of mine are these days. About the only gas powered tools I have left are chainsaws and a generator. At my altitude carburetors are a pain. I have to adjust them from 8600 to 9000 ft, which means I am adjusting them just about every time I go out to cut stuff. Battery has no such issue, but right now I dont have a viable option. I currently have a smaller Stihl and a Milwaukee battery Saw. They just wont last Long enough or cut big stuff.
That's the big problem right there. Urban areas pollute the most....legislate where the problem is, not the whole state

/ One step closer to zero emission power equipment #86  
I'm no fan of EV cars or trucks, but they get 150-250 miles of range. Plug in hybrids are a much better alternative for many purposes. You get the best of both worlds. It will be another year or so before Toyota starts selling that truck, though.

Besides, you just use your other battery while one charges. There are plenty of good arguments for some people to use gas tools, but if battery life is your problem, you just bought the wrong brand.
Or your wallet can't afford all day batteries... plus... some battery packs simply are in short supply if available at all.

/ One step closer to zero emission power equipment #87  
This is so awesome, I think I will go buy a new battery chainsaw, cut up some small branches, and put it on the charger and wait 6 hours...then go do all over again.
Nah...EGO Chainsaws with a 5.0A/h battery go for quite a while. I've dropped some smaller (6" (or so) trunks. Mostly used for trimming branches though. Recharge, on the fast charger, takes about 30 minutes
The 5.0A/h battery provides both pretty good "life" and good balance of the saw.
Now, I wouldn't consider this a good saw if you need to fell a number of trees or bucking a number of fallen trees (unless you have 3-4 batteries on hand), but for residential/farmette use, a battery chainsaw can be a good investment.
Now, I'm not a greenie or tree hugger...I bought this saw for ease of use and no worries about mixing gas and 2 stroke oil

/ One step closer to zero emission power equipment #88  
It’s not just battery life. Blade/chain/tip speed, whatever you want to call it is sorely lacking.
The speed of my electric saw compared to a high revving 2 stroke? Not comparable.

/ One step closer to zero emission power equipment #89  
My dead ash are so big, even this gas saw had trouble and I had to get a bigger one.
I can imagine changing batteries every 15 minutes while taking 4-5 hours to make each cut with an electric saw.
I do have electric string trimmer and pole saw. Takes three batteries to do each area around my house with the string trimmer. I have a lot of areas to do and cycle batteries through the charger to keep up.
Saw20in20210902_175134.jpg