Open Station AC/FAN

/ Open Station AC/FAN #1  

TractorGuy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 4310 CUT, Ford New Holland 575E Industrial Backhoe, John Deere F725 Front Mount Mower
This has turned into just a fancy fan but it works good still. Just thought I would share my half failed attempt at an open station AC unit.

The original idea was some way to get cool air blowing on me as I work. I acquired a under dash evaporator unit off of eBay for about $75. I looked at several and selected one with all the vents in the front that had the highest CFM fan I could find. Next I ordered two 90* fittings that would connect to the evaporator less the expansion valve. Not having any space for a compressor I intended to pump ice water through the evaporator. I removed the expansion valve and connected hoses from a 360 GPH bilge pump to the evaporator. I powered the pump through the thermostat so it could cycle if it got too cold.

At the end of the day it worked as intended but it would melt down 20 lbs of ice in about an hour. Not being practical to refill with ice every hour I ended up removing the cooler and pump and just using the fan. I had to add some face masks to the fan inlets so it didn't pick up dust and blow it back in my face.

Here is a photo of the under dash evaporator unit. I made a deflector to redirect the air down to me.

ac&bu-cam.jpg

Here is the cooler setup. I have since removed the cooler but left the frame in case I get desperate and revisit the pump idea. It did get old peeking through the gaps when hooking up attachments.

ac-cooler.jpg

/ Open Station AC/FAN #2  
Thanks for the photos. I had planed to use a 12v radiator fan mounted above me and standing off the top about 4-5" to just move some air around. The problem in South Texas is that air is/was 104 degrees today. It is often worse. Might feel cool with the sweat but I was looking for something better. I have a few horsepower to spare for an AC compressor. I just can't figure out how Ford mounted it on the cab versions. I can fabricate just about anything in metal but space is at a premium up front. Thanks again for the "spark". I knew I couldn't be the only one looking for a cool air solution for an open station tractor. :)

/ Open Station AC/FAN
The compressor mount on my backhoe looks like a poor homemade piece. Not sure of the history on it but I know it came with factory air.

When I bought it the compressor was missing. I had to adapt a idler from a Mustang and do some creative shimming to get the belt to run square.

/ Open Station AC/FAN #4  
This may sound dumb, but heat works too.

My Kubota Wheel loader has no air and actually has the machine radiator in the cab. I drive with the doors open all winter.

I can't stand the heat, no way shape or form. And thought I would die in that cab in the summer. Not true. The heat of the machine reduces the humidity and I have never felt like I am uncomfortable in there. I do have a bus driver style fan. Getting in and out of an AC cab is NOT Healthy anyways.

It's like a huge steel warehouse I knowof that is heated all year round to reduce (increase?) the dew point.

/ Open Station AC/FAN #5  
I've always wanted to install some sort of a fan to blow down on me too. It would sure help to keep the mosquito's away in summer too.

/ Open Station AC/FAN

I did try a single chip Peltier cooler but it wouldn't keep up. They actually work okay in a cooler but for trying to cool circulating water is a much larger task.

That one in your link calls for a 50 amp power supply. :eek:

If I were doing it over I would have probably just got one or two of these fans from Amazon.
Amazon.com: Schumacher 122 12V Turbo Fan: Automotive

/ Open Station AC/FAN #8  
This may sound dumb, but heat works too.

My Kubota Wheel loader has no air and actually has the machine radiator in the cab. I drive with the doors open all winter.

I can't stand the heat, no way shape or form. And thought I would die in that cab in the summer. Not true. The heat of the machine reduces the humidity and I have never felt like I am uncomfortable in there. I do have a bus driver style fan. Getting in and out of an AC cab is NOT Healthy anyways.

It's like a huge steel warehouse I knowof that is heated all year round to reduce (increase?) the dew point.

Come on! You folks up there don't know what heat is. Yesterday, it was 104 degrees. Don't even mention heat reducing humidity. :rolleyes: The heat index displayed on my weather station was 120 degrees! Blow some of that around your face! :laughing: In the morning, it gets down to 75-80 degrees. The heat index pushes 90+. Hurricane Laura is pulling dry air out of the west for us today. It's 76 with a heat index of 82 as I'm typing. Down right chilly morning today. :D

/ Open Station AC/FAN #9  
Come on! You folks up there don't know what heat is. Yesterday, it was 104 degrees. Don't even mention heat reducing humidity. :rolleyes: The heat index displayed on my weather station was 120 degrees! Blow some of that around your face! :laughing: In the morning, it gets down to 75-80 degrees. The heat index pushes 90+. Hurricane Laura is pulling dry air out of the west for us today. It's 76 with a heat index of 82 as I'm typing. Down right chilly morning today. :D
I lived in lubbock, so know heat and humidity and blowing dirt. Thats why i live in north idaho now. But i do have ac in my cab tractor and love it. I was mowing brush for 4 hours sunday. Was only 86 outside but kinda muggy. Was maybe 65 in cab. I was in heaven. I had to turn ac down or get out a sweater.

/ Open Station AC/FAN #10  
I did try a single chip Peltier cooler but it wouldn't keep up. They actually work okay in a cooler but for trying to cool circulating water is a much larger task.

That one in your link calls for a 50 amp power supply. :eek:

If I were doing it over I would have probably just got one or two of these fans from Amazon.
Amazon.com: Schumacher 122 12V Turbo Fan: Automotive
the water circulation is for the hot side, the cold air comes from the fan side..