Opinions from you true synthetic oil users.

/ Opinions from you true synthetic oil users. #1  

Charolais

Platinum Member
Tractor
Deutz Fahr Agrofarm 100, Stoll loader, bucket, forks & root grapple
I've been an Amsoil user since the late 80's. I drive enough miles per year to enjoy the extended drain deal. I also use it in farm tractors and switched to the synthetic hydraulic oil 3 years ago in the first tractor. Been thinking on how to extend the life of the hydraulic oil. I've also seen some post here about problems with hydraulics and some because of the filter cost if I'm reading those post correctly.

What I've been working towards is to filter the hydraulic oil down to 3 micron. Not a filter that stays on the tractor but one I can connect say every so many hours or when I fill up with fuel.

I found a filter assembly that will take 3,000 psi. I can connect two hoses, remote couplings and plug it in to the hydraulic system at the remotes. One tractor has just under 10 gal. and the other just under 5 gal. They both put out 9 gpm. So it won't take long to circulate all the hydraulic oil in the tractor through this 3 micron filter. I'll still use the filters that are on the system and change them every 12 months. I know one of those filters is 32 micron. The other one should be pretty close to that.You can't go much lower on the suction side. I'll also use a pressure gauge on this remote filter. When I see a pressure rise from normal on the input side I'll change the 3 micron filter. I'll also have a sample tested on the first 200 hours.

OK you synthetic guys. Opinions please???? Hope I didn't leave anything out. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Opinions from you true synthetic oil users. #2  
Nothing to add, yet, but anxiously awaiting your final conclusion.
I have used full synthetics since the mid 80s but did not become an Amsoil user until 2000.
Are you contemplating an Amsoil bypass filter solution??

/ Opinions from you true synthetic oil users.
<font color="red">Are you contemplating an Amsoil bypass filter solution?? </font>

<font color="black">Yes. The industry I work in uses something in the same order. We have a portable pump and filter system that we can connect to any hydraulic tank and clean the oil. Then top off with new oil. Also back in the mid 80's a plant called Virginia fiber used pretty much the same type system on screw compressors. They never changed the oil. Just clean and top off after filtering. </font>

/ Opinions from you true synthetic oil users. #4  
Nothing to add ....but very interesting. Please keep us posted if you try this.

Moon of Ohio

/ Opinions from you true synthetic oil users. #5  
The main hassle with any long term synthetic hydraulic oil useage is water content as the condesation accumulates. I believe 0.5% is about the maximum limit.

/ Opinions from you true synthetic oil users. #6  
why not even bother with a by-pass? I was going to get on on my oldtruck but the testing, reg filter and bypass it was not worth it.

I think the filters are going to eat up some much $$$, it would just be cheaper to chg the fluid.

/ Opinions from you true synthetic oil users. #7  
I'm sure your aware of the the full flow return line filters. These can go all the way down to 2µm with 99.9% effiency. Parker, Gressen, Pall, etc, make many spin on versions. As far as I know only the Pall filters to 2µm at 99.9%, the no name replaements are about $30, the Pall version is more. Many of the spin-on's are rated for over 20 gpm.

If your crafty and don't mind tinkering with filters and oil, I'll bet you could get one of the bypass tp (toilet paper) or string wound filters to work on the return lines. These would shunt about a 1/2 gallon/min through the filter and the rest would return to the tank. So after some amount of run time the whole volume would be filtered. These do filter to a very low level, but none have any absolute or nominal rating like a hydraulic filter. Filters are cheap since its only a roll of Scotts TP and they do remove water because they are cellulose.

Of the top of my head a few others than Amsoil come to mind: Parker, Pall, Motorguard, Frantz, Trasko. If you want more let me know.

Have fun.

I must apologize to all of you that replied to this thread for being late in my reply. Sorry about that. Got busy in a plant outage for 7 days/12 hour shifts and just forgot it for a while. Plus I'm getting old too. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif The last one is a good excuse. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Works most of the time.

I did read each reply and a couple got me to thinking.( sometimes that isn't good) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

My son an I got this filter/filters contraption plumbed in and working today. Now keep in mind this is a stand alone unit and will be used on two tractors. It plugs in the remotes and uses the tractor pump to circulate the hydraulic oil.

SkyPup and Schultz got my light bulb burning on the water content. So now there are two filters. The high pressure filter is a Schroder Bros. D3. It's 3 micron. I added a NAPA/WIX filter and head with a flow control and capture some of the oil before it goes in the high pressure filter. The NAPA filter(1551-10 micron) is a cross from a Zinga number and is a water/moisture absorbing filter. The NAPA filter is being dumped back in the fill plug for the Hyd. oil reservoir. The reason I ran the NAPA filter in another direction is it 's only rated 100psi. and I use the flow control to make sure I didn't burst that filter. It's a spin-on.

Got it connected to the tractor and started the oil flowing. Ran it for 15 minutes and sure enough it cleaned the oil right up. Color wise that is. The pump is rated 9gpm on both tractors. One holds 5 gal. and the other is 9.8 gal. so it doesn't take long to get all the oil through the filters. The oil now looks like it does right out of the pail.

Schroder filter is $12 and the NAPA is $7. The filters on the tractors are $14 and $38. So if I can run the oil longer and those higher priced filters longer I think it'll pay back pretty soon. I saw no pressure increase on the inlet side from this first run. I plan to use this external filtering at every fuel fill up. I'll pull hyd. oil samples in March or April. Then we'll see what's in there and if this is working.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. They're always welcomed. Got anymore, just speak right up. I may have missed something. Like I was about to miss the moisture deal. Thanks guys.

/ Opinions from you true synthetic oil users. #9  
I think your just having too much fun. It would be cool to set something like that up but if I did it, I would be up to my ankles in hydraulic fluid. I'm sure others would like to see pics of your set up if you have a digital camera.

I still have to make a mounting bracket and get some longer hoses on it. I have everything I need but might be a couple of weeks getting to it. As soon as I get it mounted at the fuel storage tank I'll try and post a picture. Haven't posted pictures here yet so that may present another learning experience. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I ran it on the other tractor today. Right now I'm just hanging it on what ever is close enough by to make hose connections and keep the filters upright. And I did find one little leak today. I'll get another round or two on that fitting.

Happy New Year.