Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #61  
Picked up an original Bark Buster from the original purchaser for $100, to use on my '47 Ford 8N & my 1980 Kubota B7100. Masked off decals & painted, looks new. It works great in spite of all the safety hoopla I've heard & read about for years. I have a 5hp Super Split (another awesome splitter by the way, Google Super Split)) at home but wanted the Bark Buster at our summer cottage where we live for 6 mo. of the year. A bit of common sense using any powered equip. goes a long way.

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #62  
I took a look at a YouTube video of the Bark Buster. It looks as hazardous as the old "back on" splitter that I re-fabbed! There is nothing much to keep the log from doing wild things, plus the screw is running at 540 rpm.

Even with the one, which I copied from the Hy-Crack, it would allow the log to spin, occasionally, until I added the wedge below the screw. The wedge enters the split and prevents the log from spinning, if it rises from the table or you are splitting a small diameter log.

I don't like the safety issues of the Bark Buster, at all!

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #64  
i dont want to handle every foot of wood multiple times... i want to split from the backhoe seat, lengths of 2 to 3 meter, which i can stuff into the Mottimaster. The mottimaster has an output of 5 to 8 cubic yards per hour. That is, if you can keep up with it.
With that backhoe, its more efficient to put the diesel directly into the heater... ;)

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #65  
I keep reading on here about how dangerous the bark buster is. I picked one up off craigslist for 150$ and after sandblasting it, and painting it, it works great. I 'NEVER' run it at 5400rpm, there is no way I'd stick my hand anywhere near it running that fast. Just like using an auger, I use it at 'idle' and it works like a champ. You're never going to stick the cone of the bark buster down the middle of a huge log, but rather peel it from the side like an onion, so idle is all the power you'll need. I've split sections of wood that were over 2' in diameter and as long as you split them properly (ie. from the outside in) it works great and isn't all that dangerous.

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #66  
Regarding the atom splitter on a 3 pt hitch...... Can you screw into the end of a fell tree then drag the tree out to a nearby processing area? Would the scew let go or bend up the shaft?

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #67  
I think a electric clutch between the PTO and auger would make these far safer, maybe a pedal or some sorta quick release, With a electric clutch and pedal it would only spin when you hit the pedal, and there designed to cycle thousands of times without issue. Or maybe a paddle on the table thats activated by weight.

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #68  
For sure there is a chance. :rolleyes:

More-so if one sticks his gloved hand on the rotating screw or wears loose clothing around the spinning PTO and screw head. And if a person thinks there is that chance for him/her, then my opinion would be that it is not a good tool for them. ;)

Now I cut the right thumb finger off (when using the wood splitter) of my good pair of leather gloves last week. My wife sewed it back together. Now will I stop splitting wood? NO!!
Will I be more careful with my next pair of good leather gloves? YES!!

I don't see them being as efficient as a splitter, but I do find it ironic that those who find it acceptable to use one of these contraptions, are the same who would not condone removing the piece of safety equipment the below label belongs on.

Attachments

• 800px-PTO_warning_label_01.JPG
    800px-PTO_warning_label_01.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 442
   / Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #69  
I rather like the video of the electric motor version for the smaller stuff.
Would t be better to have a foot operated spring loaded switch on it? then if anything went wrong it'd simply quit turning, and couldnt accidently snag anyone while setting up.

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #70  
I mentioned my re-fabbed screw splitter last fall. I wouldn't have gone this route, if I didn't already have the splitter or if I wanted to be more serious about splitting firewood. Here's a video, which I created of the splitter in action.[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6flPvAKLOlI"]splitter in action.[/ame]

Last edited: