Opinions on l60 vs l40, esp FEL hydraulics routing?

/ Opinions on l60 vs l40, esp FEL hydraulics routing?
Thanks, John.

So if you were to do it again, is that the lengths of hoses you would use?

Seems like then all I'd need to do is figure out how much longer the la1055 FEL is from the crosspiece to where the grapple mounts and add that to your numbers to come up with a hose lengths that ETA could convert to my grapple.

Is your grapple the 50 inch single? I am thinking of something a touch bigger for my l5460, but actually like the idea of the single clamp because I will be handling logs and such. Thanks, Bill

/ Opinions on l60 vs l40, esp FEL hydraulics routing? #62  
Thanks, John.

So if you were to do it again, is that the lengths of hoses you would use?

Seems like then all I'd need to do is figure out how much longer the la1055 FEL is from the crosspiece to where the grapple mounts and add that to your numbers to come up with a hose lengths that ETA could convert to my grapple.

Is your grapple the 50 inch single? I am thinking of something a touch bigger for my l5460, but actually like the idea of the single clamp because I will be handling logs and such. Thanks, Bill

Those are the finish lengths I should have ordered from Travis.

I actually went with their new economy grapple. They only rated it for 35 and under HP but I took the chance and its held up just fine to the abuse I've put it through. I plan on doing a write up on it when I get the time to organize some pics.

Thanks.

That grapple is pretty awesome looking and is what first got me interested in a grapple. I look forward to your writeup.

In one form or another a grapple is in my future.

Here's my new l5640 this morning at the dealer. The valves came in today, although since I changed me mind from 1 to 2 rear floaters it will set back picking up the tractor another week while they get them in.

Dealer will put on 3 chain hooks (at my wish and for free), still has to mount all valves, and fill the rears.

l5460_dealer.jpg

/ Opinions on l60 vs l40, esp FEL hydraulics routing? #66  
John,

Any more thoughts on a simple skidplate?

Bill,

Sorry I haven't gotten to it yet. I've got the metal and just need to make a cardboard cutout and then cut/ bend the metal to fit. Maybe if it stays cooler this weekend I'll get it done.

I plan on using 16 gauge sheet and anchoring it to the third function block and back to the undercarriage. If I can find a suitable anchor point at the rear 16 gauge should be plenty.

/ Opinions on l60 vs l40, esp FEL hydraulics routing? #67  
John,

Any more thoughts on a simple skidplate?

Bill,

Sorry I haven't gotten to it yet. I've got the metal and just need to make a cardboard cutout and then cut/ bend the metal to fit. Maybe if it stays cooler this weekend I'll get it done.

I plan on using 16 gauge sheet and anchoring it to the third function block and back to the undercarriage. If I can find a suitable anchor point at the rear 16 gauge should be plenty.

Thanks John, I am very interested in what you come up with.

Hopefully I will have my tractor within the week.

/ Opinions on l60 vs l40, esp FEL hydraulics routing? #69  
I agree that the routing of the loader lines are horrible on the new 60 series. Another food for thought that I don't think anyone touched on is that if you are/were looking at the 4240, your going to have to upgrade to the 4760 to get the same loader capacity as the older 4240.

One of the main reasons I went to a larger than l4060 model (ended up with an l5460) was I needed to go to the LA1055 FEL to get some extra lift for logs. Still wish I had more lift, but it is what it is.

I almost went with the l4760, but decide for not much more money I'd go with the l5460 which has cat I and II capability and a turbo.

I really hate the FEL routing on the l60s, but will try to learn to live with it (carefully). Wasn't finding an l40 available.