Ouch!!! Fertilizer prices.........

/ Ouch!!! Fertilizer prices......... #1  

CumminsLuke

Silver Member
Went over to MFA today to pick up a cart of 27-9-18 so I can get a start on hay ground. Didn't quite get the cart full and have over $2,000 worth in it!

/ Ouch!!! Fertilizer prices......... #2  
CumminsLuke said:
Went over to MFA today to pick up a cart of 27-9-18 so I can get a start on hay ground. Didn't quite get the cart full and have over $2,000 worth in it!

I had $3500 worth of bagged 34-0-0 and 10-10-10 delivered yesterday. It didn't take near as much space to stack $3500 worth as it did a few years ago, for sure. Hay prices went through the stratosphere this summer because of our drought. With current fuel and fertilizer prices it might not return to earth any time soon.

/ Ouch!!! Fertilizer prices......... #3  
:) yes, ouch...how many pounds did your $2K buy? I pre-bought and know prices are going to be more before I pick it up later this month. Im sure its only going to get worse...so this time next yr maybe memories of this yrs prices will seem like the 'good old days'. :)

/ Ouch!!! Fertilizer prices.........
That was a little over three ton. I am going to spread that over just under 50 acres. I wish that was all I had to do. More pain to come after that load.

/ Ouch!!! Fertilizer prices......... #5  
With gas price increases so go the fertilizer prices. They are saying here in NY we will be paying $4 a gallon by memorial day. I am thinking about a 50 cent a bale increase from last years prices. The customers will love that.

/ Ouch!!! Fertilizer prices......... #6  
pengs68 said:
With gas price increases so go the fertilizer prices. They are saying here in NY we will be paying $4 a gallon by memorial day. I am thinking about a 50 cent a bale increase from last years prices. The customers will love that.
There will be no more cheap hay in the Carolinas, KY, TN, GA & AL. Because of the drought there are not hay stocks left. Now production costs of hay has increased dramatically and demand will be at a premium you can expect 4x5 round bales to start in the $50 range for grass hay. Small square bales of grass hay will bring in the $8.00 range this summer. I have seen small square alfalfa bales sell for $20 each this winter. Fertilizer looks cheap at $660 a ton when 5x5 round bales are bring $100 each now.

/ Ouch!!! Fertilizer prices......... #7  
CCI said:
There will be no more cheap hay in the Carolinas, KY, TN, GA & AL. Because of the drought there are not hay stocks left. Now production costs of hay has increased dramatically and demand will be at a premium you can expect 4x5 round bales to start in the $50 range for grass hay. Small square bales of grass hay will bring in the $8.00 range this summer. I have seen small square alfalfa bales sell for $20 each this winter. Fertilizer looks cheap at $660 a ton when 5x5 round bales are bring $100 each now.

I saw an add on Craigslist this morning where a local is selling "mixed grass" 45lb small squares for $8 each, and his "premium" alfalfa & orchard grass 45lb'ers @ $11 ea. 4X5 rounds of mixed (which probably means weeds) @ $125 with a "limit of 5 per customer" on the rounds.

I've got 400 small squares of timothy, about 60lb bales, stashed in the barn. Looks like it's just about time to bring 'em out. (Or put 'em in a bank vault ;) )

/ Ouch!!! Fertilizer prices......... #8  
The last long range weather forecast I saw for the southeast didn't look very encouraging for the summer. As CCI said if that forecast comes true then that fertilizer might look pretty cheap if you have any early moisture.

/ Ouch!!! Fertilizer prices.........
So far we are starting out the season with a lot of moisture in the ground. I am looking for a good year.

/ Ouch!!! Fertilizer prices......... #10  
We make 45-50 pound bales and got $3.50 per bale and $145 a ton. And sold everything by December and could have moved a lot more. Thats the soonest we have moved everything out of the barn in a long time. A couple of neighbors held onto there hay and are getting $160 a ton now and running out. In another month there isnt going to be any hay left in my area outside of Albany NY as a lot of its been going to North Carolina. So I dont see hay prices dropping anytime soon.