Out of state guys that have bought from Barlows?

/ Out of state guys that have bought from Barlows? #31  
As a child I used to listen to Paul Harvey on the radio. He specialized in telling both sides of the story rather than just the obvious one side. And he used to end his commentaries with . . . "and now you've heard the rest of the story".

This thread reads quickly but the storyline was predictable.

Stand by for news.

Good day

BTW: as I remember it, the evening show; The Rest of the Story; didn't really have sides; it told you a story about something, then surprised you at the end with who it was about

Bankrupt failed blacksmith: John Deere
Drug king pin family: Roosevelt

Failed inventor who killed himself rather than face his worthless failed invention of an engine: Ernst Diesel

/ Out of state guys that have bought from Barlows?
I would like to close by saying I would have bought from Barlows if not for the deal and proximity of this dealer. I think everything I learned (Positive) about Barlows and buying out of state from them was answered - Thanks to the informative posters.

Axle, I am not surprised a guy with your ego would have to attempt to have the last word and parting shot. Predictable.

Bill

/ Out of state guys that have bought from Barlows? #33  
Bill,
My opinion probably won't be popular . . but I believe it needs to be said. I copied parts of your post for readers to reference if needed.

I think you made a non-positive situation into a negative one that didn't need to happen.

1. It sounds like you sensed a local dealer was bad mouthing every other product but his own.

2. You contacted another dealer and found a much better situation (price and quality of sales style).

3. So then when the poor dealer recontacts you . . Instead of dealing with his short comings . . you use the 2nd dealers name and pricing as your defense.

Bad form in my opinion. You didn't need to put the 2nd dealer into the situation with the poor dealer. You "sacrificed" the innocent instead of taking the heat yourself.

So what do I mean? When you had the recontact from the poor dealer . . I believe you should have indicated:

a. as yet you haven't made a decision

b. My 1st contact with you (poor dealer) was not a positive one because I don't like negative selling and your price was not very desirable.

c. I think you (poor dealer) are trying to intimidate me rather than impressing me.

Now why do I have this opinion? Because you have the right to be a prospect to whoever you want to be involved with. But defend your right . . don't hide from it.

Now Brady Barlow and Barlow's and anyone else shouldn't be your shield for your rights because they are innocent of anything. You used them as a lever against the poor dealer instead of being straight about the poor dealers actions and pricing in my opinion.

Now that action on your part doesn't help mske the poor dealer a better dealer . . but it also can have negative issues for good dealers.

Why? Easy. Because the negative dealer considers themself the victim and complains to their Kubota rep.. The poor dealer feels no sense of bad behavior and if they try to negative sell you or scare you about future service issues . . think how they will blame Barlow's for their situation.

All these dealers at some point come in contact with each other at regional meetings etc.. All of them have a reputation to defend to customers and kubota hierarchy.

You put a target on Barlow's that they didn't deserve.

My point is this . . each of us that are good prospects deserve the quality, fairness, and pricing we can accept and desire. But as good prospects we should not (not) use good vendors like a crowbar to avoid defending our needs with poor vendors in my opinion.

Be a man or woman and bare the heat of your needs. Talk to 25 dealers if you desire . . but hold each one individual from the others (yes tell them you are condidering others . . but don't name them or use their quotes as leverage).

My opinion on fairness. In a sentence . . Require of those who don't produce . . desire those who do produce. (an Axleism).

I don't normally stick my nose into arguments, but I think this post was out of touch with the facts and out of line. To me, the local Kubota dealer blew his chances at a sale by poor behavior, a bad attitude, and a lack of attention to detail (quoting a new price that was higher than the original is a sloppy way to do business and makes him look like a bozo). The customer and Barlows has nothing to do with it at all. And the customer shouldn't have to go through an exhaustive process to make the situation right. It's up to a dealer to do things right to earn business, plain and simple. This wasn't even a case where the customer was being difficult. The dealer just blew it, period.

/ Out of state guys that have bought from Barlows? #34  
Be a man or woman and bare the heat of your needs. Talk to 25 dealers if you desire . . but hold each one individual from the others (yes tell them you are condidering others . . but don't name them or use their quotes as leverage).

I'm not sure you understand the art of negotiation. I would go on to add that during a negotiation, one dealer may ask to see the other dealer's offer in writing, so they know you aren't just busting their balls. They may say something like "bring their offer in writing, and I'll match it". If you don't have a lower offer elsewhere, you cannot get the lowest price, unless you are lying about having a better offer somewhere else...

/ Out of state guys that have bought from Barlows? #35  
I put things out for bid all the time... sometimes I will be asked to forward a quote... 99% of the time I will black out the price... I need to work with vendors that consistently provide competitive pricing.

Just had a 10 ton Carrier HVAC replaced... the bids varied from 15k to 26k...

My vendor of first choice came in at $15,800... the CEO wanted a bid from an out of area firm and that bid was $15,050... same product/job... out of area has lower labor costs than Silicon Valley.

I work with a Real Estate Broker and at times I will say where do I need to be so have a fair shot... then I make my decision.

Some brokers are offended by this... looked at a warehouse property 2 years ago and said this to the listing Broker... he was offended... the price has steadily been adjusted downward since...

Not everyone does business the same way and if you have a ready market for goods and services... raising prices service to allocate your limited ability to furnish same..

Last edited:
   / Out of state guys that have bought from Barlows? #36  
So Bill ... What did you order?

/ Out of state guys that have bought from Barlows? #37  
I have been talking with Brady Barlow about a Kubota L2501 HST w/AG tires and a loader. All sounds good so far. What is the procedure once you have gotten in the pricing ball park? I have rough numbers but nothing laid out to a bottom line.

I assume he writes up a contract, especially since I would use the 0% Kubota financing. I am out of state so I am thinking delivery.

About two weeks before I started talking to Barlows I had been at my local Kubota. He basically was quoting me list, talking bad about LS, Kioti, Massey (real turnoff). Pretty much anyone who ever built a tractor. He offered me $1500 for my 9N but was not discounting past the posted rebates on line.

Yesterday he called me, kinda with the attitude of "why I had not called back?" He said he talked to Kubota and they said really my trade was worth only $600 but he would stick with the $1500 (nice guy). Ha. Then he said Kubota had discounted some and gave me a number $200 more than I had two weeks before. I told him that and then said I am talking to Barlows too. For the same tractor they are $2500 less than you. He got mad and said, "So when you need service, you taking it there?" I said, "Your a Kubota dealer, If my Ram breaks I don't need to take it where I bought it". He said, "Well I probably should not say it but you would be waiting till all our actual customers got serviced first". I am thinking A-hole but keep my cool. I said "OK, what can you do about price?" He said nothing and that "Barlows will do bait and switch. The tractor they deliver won't be with AG tires and HST like I want"....

Is this guy all wet, just a jerk or what?

It is OK to PM me if you don't want to post. Anyhow, I believe Barlows is VERY legit. There are way too many happy posters to prove it.

Really want to hear from Barlow buyers. What was the process and experience. I am a do unto others type of guy. This is what I hear about Barlows, good ppl. I have searched archives and have not seen a thread like this. It might help other potential Barlow purchasers.

I am usually a support your local dealer type but not when there is this much gap and such an attitude. If we were 200-300 dollars apart it would be different.

Thanks so much,

Bill
I think you need to re-read your original post. You ask more than one question in there and you were the one that went off topic by telling us about your local dealer. If you only wanted to know about Barlow's, than only post that question. Don't cloud the issue by adding extraneous information. Also, last I knew this is a public access forum and no member can dictate who answers and what they answer to a post.

/ Out of state guys that have bought from Barlows? #38  
I think you need to re-read your original post. You ask more than one question in there and you were the one that went off topic by telling us about your local dealer. If you only wanted to know about Barlow's, than only post that question. Don't cloud the issue by adding extraneous information. Also, last I knew this is a public access forum and no member can dictate who answers and what they answer to a post.

Actually, that's what moderators are for...

And, if you don't like his extraneous information, why would you bother reading it and then posting on his thread?

/ Out of state guys that have bought from Barlows? #39  
Actually, that's what moderators are for...

And, if you don't like his extraneous information, why would you bother reading it and then posting on his thread?
Probably the same reason you felt it necessary to reply to my post.

/ Out of state guys that have bought from Barlows? #40  
Don't forget to post a picture upon arrival and congratulations on the new addition!