Out of the norm question

/ Out of the norm question #41  
A tractor has no provisions for automatically controlling the brake controller or trailer, BUT, if you just ran the power, you could still grab the manual control and stop your trailer effectively.

You probably dont need it, though. Having said that, I don't really see how a tractor is going to work all that much better than a truck for porting this lift around the house.

/ Out of the norm question #42  
"The manlift weighs roughly 5,000 pounds. I'd like to get a "right sized" tractor to pull the lift around the house."
I have a 42' towable man lift for work around my house (big log home), probably even heavier than yours. I easily tow it with a John Deere 4300, which is a 32hp compact tractor. You could probably do it with half of that, but I don't think HP is the limiting factor. It seems that traction will be more of an issue than HP, so you probably don't want a physically small and light tractor or the tires might just spin. Heck, I've pulled a hay wagon with a 15HP Craftsman lawn tractor! Hard to get it moving, but no problem after that.

I also don't think you need to worry about using the lift's brakes. My tractor has no issues with stopping the lift. You really won't be going very fast anyway. I use a simple homemade ball hitch that attaches to my 3-point. I can take a photo of it if you wish.

A couple of asides: First, maneuvering the lift with a tractor is WAY easier than when I did it with my truck. Second, my lift ruts my lawn way worse than the tractor does. The ruts puff back out by the next spring from freeze/thaw. but I can definitely feel them the first summer when I mow.

/ Out of the norm question #43  
A tractors 7 pin or trailering pin connector won’t have a brake controller to activate any trailer brakes.
Your tractor dont have a brake controller anyway. We move 30-40 thousand pound trailers with a 5610 around here.

/ Out of the norm question #44  
I own a large Victorian house, and to maintain it purchased a tow behind manlift. The manlift weighs roughly 5,000 pounds. To get to the spots I want to work on, I currently hook the trailer (similar to a two wheeled boat trailer) to my truck and pull it around my house. Once there I unhitch and get to work. There are some restrictions in my yard which prevent my truck from getting through with the lift and it ruts up the yard pretty good. Not to mention it looks pretty bad to the neighbors with the truck parked in the yard. Getting to the lower lawn there is a downhill grade that drops roughly 10 feet over 200 feet. Once there, the lawn is flat all around the house.

I'd like to get a "right sized" tractor to pull the lift around the house.
What size tractor could pull and safely stop the 5,000 pound trailer? The manlift has electric brakes so could the tractors be set up with a 7 pin towing connector to match the manlift? Really don't want to get the manlift rolling and discover I cannot stop it.

Appreciate any help offered.
Best regards
Two other options you might consider are a shed mover/mule and walk behind skid steer (dingo, bobcat MT 55, etc)

Last edited:
   / Out of the norm question #45  
A tractor has no provisions for automatically controlling the brake controller or trailer, BUT, if you just ran the power, you could still grab the manual control and stop your trailer effectively.

You probably dont need it, though. Having said that, I don't really see how a tractor is going to work all that much better than a truck for porting this lift around the house.
Yeah, I dont know how that skid steer will move that dirt better than a shovel and a wheel barrow will.

/ Out of the norm question #46  
I do have some "experience" with tree removal. When you have a lift parked in your yard there is always someone looking for a favor. Normally don't mind but when total strangers ask to "borrow" it, it gets a little weird. Wonder if I could walk up to their house and ask to borrow a car?

Either way thank everyone on this forum for the helpful advice. I see there is a New Holland Boomer 50 with 3300 hours for sale within a few hours of my home. Knowing there are a lot of variables, what is the expected life of a small tractor?
We have a 1981 model still going strong. Never been to the shop. We are a commercial farm, so ot gets used. For years, that was the only tractor we truck patched a forty with.

/ Out of the norm question #47  
I have a JLG T350 (a little lighter than your Nifty at 3400lb vs 4400lb) and move it easily with our B7500 with FEL and R4 tires, but out property is pretty flat.
I have a 2" hitch receiver welded to a 3 point quick hitch so can keep it level without problems.
Second that the lift tires compact the grass/soil area, but you already knew that. Maneuverability will be improved with the tractor over the truck, but can still be a challenge. Replacing grass (which you may have to do anyway) and disconnecting the truck to put out of sight is cheaper than a tractor unless you have other uses for it (sacrilege here I know...)

/ Out of the norm question #48  
A man lift… what height ?
I can get to 15 ft with a $600 fork lift attachment. It’s a 4’x4’ work platform… but if your going higher than that then a man lift of some type is necessary.
good luck

/ Out of the norm question #49  
I used the 5000 lb winch on my truck with a wireless remote to do the same as you for the same reason only over 50ft and a bit steeper, I also put a heavy duty 10"X4" jockey wheel on the trailer, with a winch you don't need to worry about breaks. Might be a bit cheaper than a tractor.

/ Out of the norm question #50  
Tractor tires are more unfriendly on a yard than a truck unless you run turf tires. Not sure a tractor is going to get what you want.
That is an opinion that I have proved untrue.