Out of the norm question

/ Out of the norm question #51  
I have a Haulotte 3632 towable lift that is supposed to weigh 4400 lbs. I use it on my acreage for tree or building work by pulling it around with my Deere 4720 Compact Utility tractor. I even used it once at my son's house, pulling it around with his smaller Deere 3046R tractor, but that was a bit marginal on slopes - would have been fine on flat, as long as the ground was not mushy.

BTW, a tip on using a towable lift with a tractor. Use a ball-hitch adapter on your 3-point, and when you've positioned the lift where you want it, don't unhook it from the tractor. Just lower the 3-point all the way, and as the lift levels itself, it will lift the hitch up to whatever height it needs to level the machine, because the 3-point does not resist upward movement - unless you max it out at the limit of its lift, which won't happen unless you are on a significant slope.

I don't have any brake control from the tractor, because both were heavy enough to hold it. The 4720 with loader is probably 5000 Lb. The 3046R with no loader, but a belly mower, would have been less, maybe 3000+ Lb - you can look up the specs.

/ Out of the norm question #52  
Yeah, I dont know how that skid steer will move that dirt better than a shovel and a wheel barrow will.
So... you're just here to argue about stuff? cool, cool.

A 35-40 HP tractor with a front loader is generally almost as wide, and almost as long, as a pickup truck (depending on what truck he has). So what am I missing here.

/ Out of the norm question #53  
If you don't need the tractor for anything else, you might come out cheaper overall if you sell that lift and buy a spider lift. Self propelled on tracks and is great if you have uneven terrain.

spider.jpg
spider2.jpg

/ Out of the norm question #54  
Spider self propelled lifts can cost upwards of 80 to 100 grand.

/ Out of the norm question
If you don't need the tractor for anything else, you might come out cheaper overall if you sell that lift and buy a spider lift. Self propelled on tracks and is great if you have uneven terrain.

View attachment 701635View attachment 701636
I dont really have any other legitimate uses for a tractor. Although my wife would say I've been making up some good rationalizations....
Would also have to buy a bigger truck and trailer. not a bad thought but where would I live. :_)

/ Out of the norm question #56  
Quote:"Not to mention it looks pretty bad to the neighbors with the truck parked in the yard."

I'm just wondering why the neighbour's visual opinion is any reason to be worried about, when it comes to isolated maintenance on YOUR house?

(Where else can you park your truck anyhow?)
By 'truck' do you mean a pickup, or a 6 ton+ cargo carrying vehicle?

/ Out of the norm question #57  
My 35 hp tractor and the ones up to 50 hp (small frame) are rated to tow up to 7700 lbs. I know that the 20 to 30 HP are on the 6600 lbs mark and the 50 hp (bigger frame) and up will go as high as 14000 lbs or so.

I'm sure this might diverse in the US because of the hydrostatic transmissions.

While the turf and industrial tires do cause less destruction on the yard, they also provide less traction and may spin the tires pulling the man lift causing an even bigger mess.
I totally agree with this post. Ag tires will actually be safer as they get more traction ALL YEAR round. If you are careful.....you won't make mush of a mess.... Also. I used to pul a 2-wheel wagon everywhere...hills included, with 250 bales of hay. That is 250x50 lbs/bale ==>12,500 lbs on the drawbar.....no problem. My 45hp Yanmar weighs 3600 lbs and I would use it today to move around something like your lift. I have regretted putting TURF tires on the Yanmar ever since I bought it...so go with Ag tires.

/ Out of the norm question #58  
Hey there Manup, I actually just did this exact thing on our country property this weekend. The lift was the snorkel TL39 and weighed 3700 pounds. I used my BX25 with the loader on the front and the Bxpanded receiver hitch on the back. I needed to use a draw bar with a 6" lift to make the connection. I knew I would be under weight so I did not travel especially backwards on significant grades. I also placed the ratchet rake on the bucket so I had an extra "Emergency brake" ... :). Seriously though, consciously did not attempt to use on significant grades. The electric brakes were surge brakes so did not need a controller. However once on site in order to back up to a lift site (with the BX) I had to disengage the surge brakes. I allowed them to be active again when towing on the road.
The lift and tow vehicle worked great especially through our little forest trail where I was able to back the lift through (just) and deal with some large widow maker dead limbs. Can't think of any other equipment combo that would have allowed me to get up to 40' on the forest trail.
Anyway, that's my 2 cents ... With a heavier lift you will need a heavier tractor. Also placing the unit for work on gentle grades I would sometimes deploy the outriggers so they just made contact with the ground because I felt that the moment it came off the ball it wanted to roll. So placing the rear stabilizers before cranking the jack up was extra security that it wasn't going to roll away from or towards the tow vehicle.
I rented the lift from Friday through Monday morning (so 2 day rental) and was able to use it on three different sites. I just had to trailer my BX and then go back for the lift. Even though a powered all terrain lift would have performed better (especially on the house painting job) ... I certainly would not be able to use this rig on three properties in one weekend. Finally the combo of the 3700 lb snorkel lift and BX did not damage any lawns ... Even when I got nervous once and deployed the ratchet "brake". We all know the damage a convention all terrain boom lift will do to a finished lawn.
Good luck and be safe.

/ Out of the norm question #59  
I used to rent stuff on friday afternoon to get a break, usually only 1 or 2 day charge, made sense to me, both ways.

I tried to rent a trencher for the weekend a while back. At the last minute i asked when they would they bill my credit card etc etc. They said, we will bill you Monday, after we total the Hours!

What? I told them the reason I rented it was to use it maybe 14-16 hours a day saturday and sunday.

I did not rent their trencher, actually found a guy to do it pretty cheaply, 2600 ft for 2in water pipe.

I can never remember to ask enough questions.

/ Out of the norm question #60  
One other point to consider for the tractor is making sure you get the right kind of tires. Don't get ag tires, cause they will eat up your yard more than your truck it. Turf tires, or industrial tires would work fine.
Not to mention Ag tires are pretty directional, and tend to try to wedge the tire up and off the ground surface if being pushed from behind hard enough. That being said, this grade isn't exactly enough to do that.