Outdoor dog house heater?

/ Outdoor dog house heater? #21  
put the Kennel of your choice in a pallet.
Put a 50-65 watt bare light bulb under one portion of the kennel between the floor and the kennel. (In the pallet space beneath the kennel)

Fill the kennel with clean straw. Watch to see where the dog makes it's nest. Even that may be too warm.

Protect the lamp chord as though your new dog's life depends on it. It DOES!

/ Outdoor dog house heater? #22  
The shelter wouldn't take her because they didn't reside in the county. Then the dog was found running loose
There's a special place in hell for this type of people.
I get a lot of dropoffs because of where I live; never a dog (yet) but I've acquired woodchucks, cats, and I suspect that's where the rat came from. There's never "one rat", except here.

/ Outdoor dog house heater? #23  
There's a special place in hell for this type of people.
I get a lot of dropoffs because of where I live; never a dog (yet) but I've acquired woodchucks, cats, and I suspect that's where the rat came from. There's never "one rat", except here.

I'm confused. You actually took in multiple "stray" woodchucks and a rat? You somehow knew that they used to be someone's pets?

/ Outdoor dog house heater? #24  
I'm confused. You actually took in multiple "stray" woodchucks and a rat? You somehow knew that they used to be someone's pets?
:eek: Oh My !

/ Outdoor dog house heater? #25  
No. People like to take the animals they don't want, or don't want to kill out to "some back road" and dump them. I live on that back road. I suspect the rat was somebody's pet as you never see just one; but I haven't seen it in almost a year.

The worst though, was the time I took a shortcut to a friend's house one cold January night. I saw something in the road, when I got there it was a kitten sitting in the middle of the road, way too young to be alone. He hadn't even been there long enough to get cold so it's likely the dropper was right in front of me.
Probably a good thing I didn't think of that, back then I was might prone to do something stupid.

/ Outdoor dog house heater?
I was driving back home in the dark one evening and saw two baby kittens right in the white line dividing the road that somebody had obviously just dumped. I scooped them up and took them home. They both had eye infections along with giardia. The giardia took about 5-6 months of strong meds to clear up before we found them a permanent home with a little girl who probably is in her 20's by now.

As for the shelter dog, the shelter director and I talked today about them getting the dog spayed to help calm her down and keeping her in their care for permanent adoption, but I will be going to the shelter to give the dog extra attention as a volunteer.

Last edited:
   / Outdoor dog house heater? #27  
No. People like to take the animals they don't want, or don't want to kill out to "some back road" and dump them. I live on that back road. I suspect the rat was somebody's pet as you never see just one; but I haven't seen it in almost a year.

The worst though, was the time I took a shortcut to a friend's house one cold January night. I saw something in the road, when I got there it was a kitten sitting in the middle of the road, way too young to be alone. He hadn't even been there long enough to get cold so it's likely the dropper was right in front of me.
Probably a good thing I didn't think of that, back then I was might prone to do something stupid.

OK, I think I get it now. There are two related subjects. One is people dumping unwanted pets. The other is people trapping and releasing unwanted animals, such as groundhogs, on or near your property. Is that correct?

/ Outdoor dog house heater?
Here is the dog during an exercise run outside at the shelter today.

M play.jpg

/ Outdoor dog house heater? #29  
I'd be leary of heat lamps and heating pads for an outdoor dog. Only because I have a sibling that put out a heating pad for a cat, and it somehow caught fire and burned the side of their house. 10 minutes later and they would have lost the house. Fortunately, they smelled it and put it out with a garden hose.

Other thing is, I just read an article yesterday about some folks that had a heat source for a pot bellied pig. The pig pushed the bedding up against the heat source, it lit up, and they had extensive damage to their property.

So if you do get a heat mat, make sure it's designed for outdoor use, pet use, water proof, etc.

Almost everyone I knew that ever kept dogs outside just went the ample straw bedding route in a smaller dog house with no supplemental heat source. Block it from the wind well.

Good luck. I admire your determination to help that animal. (y)