Overheating issue, please help

/ Overheating issue, please help #11  
I agree with the others. Check if the thing is actually getting hot before doing any major work. Even just touching the hydraulic tank should give you some indication.

You could also locate the temp sensor for the hydraulic fluid and check if there is anything obviously wrong with it like a bad wire or something.

/ Overheating issue, please help #12  
Overheating can be a bad sensor (really not overheating), restricted air flow in the cooler (seems like that is not an issue), insufficient flow through the cooler which could be a bad priority valve (would need to see the hydraulic schematic to determine), a worn out pump or one or more valves, or a relief valve not working properly. Worn out pump or valve(s) let high leakage bypass generating heat.
paul

/ Overheating issue, please help #13  
You know Eddie - if your hydraulic temperature sensor doesn't work any better that my fuel gauge sensor...................

/ Overheating issue, please help #14  
   / Overheating issue, please help #15  
Can you see light through the oil cooler fins if you hold it up to a light?

/ Overheating issue, please help #17  
I have not measured the temp, or tested the sensor. I'll have to do that. Any recommendations on a good tester?

I just did a quick search on Amazon and saw this. https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Las...d=1588442707&sprefix=laser+tem,aps,323&sr=8-4

If I bought it, or one that somebody says is a better one to buy, where would I measure the temperature?

Does anybody know what the temperature is supposed to be so I can know if my hydraulics are too hot?
I have one that looks similar, 180F-200F is probbaly about right for max temp before the "oil overheating" sensor trips.
Any chance that a valve is stuck open and is pushing all flow past the pressure relief (should be making a squealing sound if this is the case)?
Do you have someplace where you could tee a pressure gauge in before the hydraulic control valves?

I see three likely sources for your problem:
1. Dirt/crud blocking the fins of the oil cooler and preventing airflow through the air side of it.
2. Bad sensor thinking that its too hot when its not (we had that last year on a tractor at work).
3. Valve stuck "on" and pushing all flow past the pressure relief.

Aaron Z

/ Overheating issue, please help #18  
Have a friend who was having similar issue on an excavator and it was with a pressure relief in the system. Check the pressure and get the infrared thermometer as has been suggested. Cool temp shows lack of oil flowing.

Hey the infrared thermometer has many more uses: can check the temp on a cooking surface or a grill with a top or for insulation issues with walls or water leaking in a wall. Can check for bad bearings on wheels or an engine. Right handy device and think still about $20. We keep ours beside the stove so I know when a frying pan is the right temp.

Last edited: