Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires

/ Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires
Winter wheat is up plenty far enough around here - now we need a snow cover to protect it from freezing.

/ Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires #132  
I think the cooler wet season is here to stay until spring. It should help the fire situation.

/ Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires #133  
As of October 20, ODF has officially declared the end of wildfire season in Oregon.

Certainly no doubt about the wet season over here. I'd much rather deal with the mud it brings than the nasty smoke, etc.

/ Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires #135  
It is nice to have clear air now, but with cooler weather, we are starting to see smoke from woodstoves... not that it is bad, but when I smell it, it triggers memories from the fires... Family farmhouse and couple of barns were lost in fires a couple years ago, perhaps a half mile from us.

/ Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires #136  
Vancouver teen pleads guilty in massive Gorge fire | The Columbian

HOOD RIVER, Ore. – The Vancouver teenager accused of starting the Eagle Creek Fire pleaded guilty to all 12 charges he faces in court Friday.

His punishment is 3 to 5 years’ probation and 1,920 hours of community service.

In court, the teen addressed the victims saying, “I now have to live with my decision… My actions can have serious consequences… I will have to earn for your forgiveness… I apologize to everyone in the gorge.”

The judge said the teenager could not receive any more of a punishment because there was no evidence of intent of wrongdoing. Given his age, he will only face probation and community service.

Thanks Bruce. I would have never seen that article. Feel sorry for the kid because it wasn't an intentional action. Hard and costly way to learn a lesson.

/ Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires #138  
Thanks Bruce. I would have never seen that article. Feel sorry for the kid because it wasn't an intentional action. Hard and costly way to learn a lesson.
Yes, thanks also. I feel sorry for the boy too, but I just don't understand how people can be so stupid. I am beginning to think that Jr High school should include some kind of mandatory wilderness/survival training. Obviously, he was no Boy Scout!

/ Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires #139  

HOOD RIVER, Ore. The Vancouver teenager accused of starting the Eagle Creek Fire pleaded guilty to all 12 charges he faces in court Friday.

His punishment is 3 to 5 years probation and 1,920 hours of community service.

In court, the teen addressed the victims saying, 的 now have to live with my decision My actions can have serious consequences I will have to earn for your forgiveness I apologize to everyone in the gorge.

The judge said the teenager could not receive any more of a punishment because there was no evidence of intent of wrongdoing. Given his age, he will only face probation and community service.

Thanks. There was a similar one here last summer. couple of teems lit a campfire, thought it was out, left. wind came up blew embers and caused a multi thousand acre fire on both banks of the Snake River. Sounds like the sentence will also be similar, probation and community service. The teens have ben working with the farmers rebuilding fences that were burned even before the formal sentences were discussed.

/ Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires #140  

HOOD RIVER, Ore. – The Vancouver teenager accused of starting the Eagle Creek Fire pleaded guilty to all 12 charges he faces in court Friday.

His punishment is 3 to 5 years’ probation and 1,920 hours of community service.

In court, the teen addressed the victims saying, “I now have to live with my decision… My actions can have serious consequences… I will have to earn for your forgiveness… I apologize to everyone in the gorge.”

I suggest that his community service be tree planting on the burned over land. Tree planting on forest land is rather strenuous exercise, especially if there is a 1000/day quota set!