Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires

/ Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires #141  
I suggest that his community service be tree planting on the burned over land. Tree planting on forest land is rather strenuous exercise, especially if there is a 1000/day quota set!
Good idea! Should write in to the Columbian in response.

/ Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires
The summers between my JR & SR year in high school - I worked for the US Forrest Service. When we were not fighting wildfires we were either cutting firewood for the endless number of recreational areas or planting baby pine trees. Now that I think about it - I'm really surprised that they let "kids" fight wildfires. Man - we drove those big 'ol red Dodge Power Wagons with the 475 gallon water tanks, single blade hydraulically operated 36" disk, out back and backfire ignitor. We never fought fires in the timber - only across the grasslands & sagebrush. You just gotta see what a lightning strike on a barbed wire fence can start. I've seen an INSTANT mile and a half front start from a single strike on a barbed fence.

Anyhow - that was almost 60 years ago and things do change. What I remember about planting pine trees - one God Almighty sore back and upper leg muscle cramps. And that was when I was a 16 or 17 year old kid. Be so dam tired when you got back to the barracks - just fall in your rack and pass out. Wake up in the middle of the night with upper leg muscle cramps - you could swear you were gonna die. But those were the good old days..............

/ Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires #143  
Charges on another fire.

Three men accused of starting Summer Lake wildfire; Fire allegedly began from shooting at homemade exploding targets

Three men are facing felony charges for allegedly shooting at homemade exploding targets in July that sparked the Ana Fire, which burned more than 58,000 acres in the Summer Lake area.

"All three of them were involved," she said. "They added pyrotechnics to the exploding targets."

Exploding targets such as Tannerite are legal in Oregon, but attaching fireworks and shooting at them recklessly in dry summer conditions is not, Forster said.

Bruce

The Watermelon Hill Wildfire - July, 2014 - was started by a couple fellows shooting at that Tannerite stuff. At the very last moment - the wind changed and that fire missed my west property line by less than 100 yards.

/ Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires #145  
The summers between my JR & SR year in high school - I worked for the US Forrest Service. When we were not fighting wildfires we were either cutting firewood for the endless number of recreational areas or planting baby pine trees. Now that I think about it - I'm really surprised that they let "kids" fight wildfires. Man - we drove those big 'ol red Dodge Power Wagons with the 475 gallon water tanks, single blade hydraulically operated 36" disk, out back and backfire ignitor. We never fought fires in the timber - only across the grasslands & sagebrush. You just gotta see what a lightning strike on a barbed wire fence can start. I've seen an INSTANT mile and a half front start from a single strike on a barbed fence.

Anyhow - that was almost 60 years ago and things do change. What I remember about planting pine trees - one God Almighty sore back and upper leg muscle cramps. And that was when I was a 16 or 17 year old kid. Be so dam tired when you got back to the barracks - just fall in your rack and pass out. Wake up in the middle of the night with upper leg muscle cramps - you could swear you were gonna die. But those were the good old days..............

I spent about 6 months on a tree planting crew for Wa. DNR in the Sedro Woolley area in the late 70's (as well as few times prior to that in HS and college), it is job that will get you in the best condition of your life! Most of the areas we planted were pretty much stood on edge!

/ Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires #146  
I spent about 6 months on a tree planting crew for Wa. DNR in the Sedro Woolley area in the late 70's (as well as few times prior to that in HS and college), it is job that will get you in the best condition of your life! Most of the areas we planted were pretty much stood on edge!
I spent my fair share of time in the mountain woods building hiking trails as a scout. That was back breaking work as well. Of course they didn't let us use power tools... at least there was a small crew in front of us blasting.

/ Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires #147  
Judge orders Vancouver teen in Gorge fire to pay full $36M | The Columbian

A judge has ordered a 15-year-old Vancouver teen to pay more than $36 million in restitution in damages caused by the 2017 Eagle Creek fire.

According to the Oregonian, Hood River County Circuit Judge John A. Olson wrote in an opinion released Monday that the court awards restitution totaling $36,618,330.24 on behalf of victims including the U.S. Forest Service and Oregon Department of Transportation. Olson also authorized juvenile authorities to set up a payment schedule.

At a hearing Thursday, the lawyer for the 15-year-old defendant urged the judge to impose a "reasonable and rational" amount of restitution. The attorney, Jack Morris, said ordering a boy who is indigent to pay $37 million is "absurd."

I think everybody was satisfied that the "guilty party" was identified. This judge must be out of his ever-loving mind. Unless the teen is a close relative of somebody like Bill Gates and has a REAL WINNING story - restitution will NEVER happen. This judge knows how to squeeze blood out of a stone - ????

/ Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires #149  
I bet he's gonna get some spanking when he gets home.

He should become a rapper, no talent required and they make good money.:cool2:

/ Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires #150  
I think everybody was satisfied that the "guilty party" was identified. This judge must be out of his ever-loving mind. Unless the teen is a close relative of somebody like Bill Gates and has a REAL WINNING story - restitution will NEVER happen. This judge knows how to squeeze blood out of a stone - ????

They, the parents are immigrants, a real FAT chance that this judgement will come to fruition.