Paintless dent repair

/ Paintless dent repair #1  

buck12

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota 5460HSTC
Has anyone had any experience with paintless dent repair? The board covering the attic access in my shop fell on the hood of my truck. It has three shallow dents. The truck is less than a year old. I would love to get it repaired without any painting involved. I have never been happy with the results of any body work that included paint on any vehicle we have owned.

/ Paintless dent repair #2  
I am in the Auto repair business, and I do paintless dent repair on occasion.

The quality of the finished product, depends on several factors.

The location and severity of the dents.

The color of the vehicle.

The eye of the owner.

Unless the dents can be removed to the point a light sanding, and buffing, will remove the final traces of the repair, there will be some sort of visible clue.

How visible depends on your eye. I have seen some that looked like a bag of frozen peas, painted the color of the car, and people thought it was perfect. :confused2:

Most of the time they can remove minor dents to the point you really don't notice them.

The technician doing the repair, will usually tell you what to expect. And, if your not happy with the results, you can always have the repair done conventionally.

/ Paintless dent repair
I am in the Auto repair business, and I do paintless dent repair on occasion.

The quality of the finished product, depends on several factors.

The location and severity of the dents.

The color of the vehicle.

The eye of the owner.

Unless the dents can be removed to the point a light sanding, and buffing, will remove the final traces of the repair, there will be some sort of visible clue.

How visible depends on your eye. I have seen some that looked like a bag of frozen peas, painted the color of the car, and people thought it was perfect. :confused2:

Most of the time they can remove minor dents to the point you really don't notice them.

The technician doing the repair, will usually tell you what to expect. And, if your not happy with the results, you can always have the repair done conventionally.

It is pearl white which I have been told painters don't like.

/ Paintless dent repair #4  
Yeah, it's a nightmare.

Paintless repair should be pretty invisible on a white vehicle.

Next time, no matter what, don't get white pearl. :thumbsup:

/ Paintless dent repair
Yeah, it's a nightmare.

Paintless repair should be pretty invisible on a white vehicle.

Next time, no matter what, don't get white pearl. :thumbsup:

My wife's car is white pearl and is a magnet for deer and teenagers that can't drive. When I bought this this truck I didn't like Ford's blue so I got the pearl white. I will be busy tomorrow but plan to have the local Dent Dr look at it Tues.

/ Paintless dent repair #6  
The "dent guy" uses a golf bag filled with various rods and levers.

If he can find leverage, he presses back on the dent, from the inside.
If the dent is located on the side of the car, they are very hard to detect once pushed back out. You mentioned the hood? I would think it might be more visible, but a big old dent is pretty visible too!:D

The skill of the dent guy is important. I like to use the guy that has the most experience, and is usually the dent guy for the local car dealers use. Cost can be as low as $40 for a quick, easy job, to $100 if the work is more difficult.

/ Paintless dent repair #7  
We had a pearl white Toyota and had a Paint-less repair done on the rear quarter panel. It was always slightly visible to me but most would not catch it.

For the hood I think you are going to find it very visible. Dealing with a large flat surface that is horizontal versus a small area that is vertical is two completely different things. I think the only way to fix it right is to paint the whole hood.

I personally love the Ford Pearl White. My next truck may very well be that color.

Chris

/ Paintless dent repair #8  
There is a paintless dent shop next to me. I've seen him do some amazing things. What he has told me about his repairs (paintless) is that so long as there is no crease he can get the dent out without someone knowing. Now he said that you the owner will always have your eye look at the spot where the dint was and you will probably notice something as you know where to look. He also told me that he hates silver and metal flake as when he fixes a dent it (his words) stretches the paint and the silver or metal flake will not be as uniform as when originally sprayed.
The worst thing you have going for you is that it happened on the hood. Many trucks now have aluminum hoods and tailgates. It is much harder to remove dints from aluminum as it has no memory. I know he says that aluminum parts are much harder and sometimes imposable to fix.
Wish you luck.

/ Paintless dent repair #9  
I've had it done and even bought the kit to do it myself, works fine.

/ Paintless dent repair #10  
I've had it done to two vehicles and was very pleased with the results. Hail dents and I still own one of the vehicles and to this day all seems good. :thumbsup: I'd do it again.:)