Pallet forks to move round bales

/ Pallet forks to move round bales #1  

Silly question

Tractor
Kioti
Hi guys, We have a small property so we have only baled small rectangles previously and I'm giving rounds a go this year for ease of handling (Kioti RX 7620). I have a set of pallet forks and considering I am only doing this as a trial this year I'm wondering whether I could get away with just using the pallet forks to move and stack the bales. I will have somewhere between 40 and 60 (4' x 5') bales, and will be moving them over some bumpy ground and up a hill to stack in a shed. I plan to get an old 3pl bale spear to carry one bale on the back for ballast, but hoping to get away with using the pallet forks on the front. Does anyone have any recommendations on this?

/ Pallet forks to move round bales #2  
Hi guys, We have a small property so we have only baled small rectangles previously and I'm giving rounds a go this year for ease of handling (Kioti RX 7620). I have a set of pallet forks and considering I am only doing this as a trial this year I'm wondering whether I could get away with just using the pallet forks to move and stack the bales. I will have somewhere between 40 and 60 (4' x 5') bales, and will be moving them over some bumpy ground and up a hill to stack in a shed. I plan to get an old 3pl bale spear to carry one bale on the back for ballast, but hoping to get away with using the pallet forks on the front. Does anyone have any recommendations on this?

Are they net wrapped? Or string? What size? 5’ wide?
If net, you can, but spread the forks pretty wide and be VERY careful. If they are narrow set, you’ll either tear through the net, or dig up dirt under them.

If it were me, I’d look for a cheap, used spear on FBM or CL and be done with it. Bale spears are about the least expensive FEL attachment. After a couple ripped-open round bales and the mess it makes, you’ll see why.

OR, If it’s only 40-60, why not just move all of them with your rear 3pt hitch spear?

Last edited:
   / Pallet forks to move round bales #3  
Slow going but it can be done. I’ve had better luck using forks on the flat side. If the forks are removable, I made up a spare fork hangar with a spear cuz I was too cheap to buy the whole thing.

/ Pallet forks to move round bales #4  
If you get wide and go under both sides .O. you can get them.

I kind of went the other direction on my last build and put hay spikes in place of the forks, to set round bails into my above ground feeders I have to poke into them higher.

60CCA284-3472-47C1-9DC0-E475AEFD27A4.jpeg
D59CFD53-E5D4-4F5E-A78D-0AC973D37756.jpeg

But I can still use them for things I would otherwise pick forks for.

1C97C8AF-833D-4661-87B7-BAB76849846E.jpeg

/ Pallet forks to move round bales #5  
Back when I stored my rounds in the Clearspan (I don't any more, they get picked up from the hayfield by my hay customer, I stacked them all on end, 3 high in the barn and always used my forks to stack them and nothing else. Takes a bit of a learning curve but once mastered, all is good. If I moved them, I always set the forks at the widest point (like Hay Dudette said). That way they cradle the bale and don't rip the net or displace the twine, if twined.

/ Pallet forks to move round bales #6  
It takes some practice to get good at it, but I can pick up 4x5's without even stopping and move them to a trailer.

You do have to be careful not to break strings when going under the bales.

SR

/ Pallet forks to move round bales #7  
Forks will work, when picking them up in a field going in along the sides with the forks spread some what wide works very well.
If they are going to be stacked on end it is a bit more difficult unless you are on concrete. On dirt you will tend to get into the dirt and carry dirt along with your bale.
If you end up handling a lot of round bales the squeeze grapples for round bales are the best way to go.
1702392747468.jpeg

/ Pallet forks to move round bales #8  
When I stored them in the barn, I always stacked them on plastic pallets, never on the ground. If you stack them on the ground (bottom bale), it will draw moisture from the ground and ruin the bottom bale. My Clearspan has a sand floor so pallets are / were a necessity.

Nice thing about stacking on end is, the bales stay round and not made oval from the weight of bales on top of them when stacked horizontally. Makes for a much nicer looking bale and customers appreciate that, plus, when stacking on end, they take up less floor space. I used to stack mine 3 high.

/ Pallet forks to move round bales #9  
The inherent issue with a 'squeeze' is, you still have to 'upend' the bale to grab it, why I never bought one. I find the SSQA pallet forks to be easier (once you master the technique that is). Besides, I have more than enough 'implements' around now.

/ Pallet forks to move round bales #10  
The inherent issue with a 'squeeze' is, you still have to 'upend' the bale to grab it, why I never bought one. I find the SSQA pallet forks to be easier (once you master the technique that is). Besides, I have more than enough 'implements' around now.
No you don't, a bale laying on it's side you just drive up to it curl your squeeze down and set it down over the bale, squeeze, lift and curl now it's ready to be set on end.