Pallets in fields

/ Pallets in fields
#2,051  
Stuckmotor got off to a good start then veered off into lunacy himself.

Some questions for the "Sprinkler" theorists.

1. What sort of commercial ag. irrigation system uses ground-level sprinkler heads spaced "500 to 700 feet apart"?
2. The pallets show up in the fall. Wouldn't the pallet formations interfere with the springtime planting of the crops that are to be irrigated in the summer?
3. Sparc makes no mention of having seen the fields in question being irrigated. Would we not expect that he would have considered that to be a relevant fact?

Steve

To update, I noticed this week that they have all disappeared, at least all the fields I have passed in the past week which is when they appear to have been taken up. Those fields are starting to show some green this week too.

Still have not found anyone here who can answer they why about this practice, but when I do get an answer I will post it here.

I noticed that some of the fields silhouette cutouts of coyotes and even a bald eagle as you can see in the photos below. Maybe the pallets are just an inexpensive way of accomplishing the same thing because those are now gone too. In the first photo you can see an eagle cutout in the upper left corner, and a coyote in the foreground. Another coyote cutout in the second photo. We do have coyotes here in southern new jersey, I have seen them a number of times, as well as red fox.

View attachment 369149 View attachment 369150

/ Pallets in fields #2,052  
Oh no! The vortex up and swallowed the pallets! Now we will have to look for those too!

/ Pallets in fields #2,053  
I noticed that some of the fields silhouette cutouts of coyotes and even a bald eagle as you can see in the photos below. Maybe the pallets are just an inexpensive way of accomplishing the same thing because those are now gone too. In the first photo you can see an eagle cutout in the upper left corner, and a coyote in the foreground. Another coyote cutout in the second photo. We do have coyotes here in southern new jersey, I have seen them a number of times, as well as red fox.

View attachment 369149 View attachment 369150
The cut outs are probaly to scare geese away?

/ Pallets in fields #2,054  
To update, I noticed this week that they have all disappeared, at least all the fields I have passed in the past week which is when they appear to have been taken up. Those fields are starting to show some green this week too.

Still have not found anyone here who can answer they why about this practice, but when I do get an answer I will post it here.

I noticed that some of the fields silhouette cutouts of coyotes and even a bald eagle as you can see in the photos below. Maybe the pallets are just an inexpensive way of accomplishing the same thing because those are now gone too. In the first photo you can see an eagle cutout in the upper left corner, and a coyote in the foreground. Another coyote cutout in the second photo. We do have coyotes here in southern new jersey, I have seen them a number of times, as well as red fox.[

The cut outs are probaly to scare geese away?

sparc, thanks for the update.

I agree with Green Power that the eagle and coyote decoys are in place to scare away Canada geese and thus prevent the damage they can do to crops.

However, I am skeptical about the use of the pallets as a deterrent. Here's some info from Rutgers:

Several harassment and deterrent techniques are effective as a relatively short-term management tool, and they require no special permit provided there is no intent to injure, harm or lethally remove geese. Passive harassment measures include: flagging (garbage bags fastened to posts driven into the ground), "eye-scare" balloons (tethered helium balloons with decals that resemble eyes), and predator decoys (dog silhouettes or coyote replicas). While these tactics may elicit an immediate response, geese will soon habituate to them and re-inhabit the area. Moving the devices every few days may slightly extend their effectiveness,

Strategies for Resident Canada Goose Control and Management in...

and from Penn State:

Waterfowl can be repelled by almost any large foreign object or mechanical noise-making device. Frightening devices should be in place before the start of the damage season to prevent waterfowl from establishing a use pattern. To improve their effectiveness and prevent birds from becoming accustomed to them, these devices should be moved every two to three days and used in varying combinations.......

Visual repellents such as flags, balloons, and scarecrows can be used at a density of one per 3 to 5 acres before waterfowl settle in the area. If birds have already become accustomed to using an area, an additional one or more per acre may be necessary. Because geese can quickly become acclimated to visual repellents, reinforcement with audio repellents such as automatic exploders, pyrotechnics, or distress calls will be necessary.......

Scarecrows also can be used. Three concepts should be incorporated into scarecrow design: movement, bright colors, and large eyes. For maximum effect, the arms and legs should readily move in the wind. Scarecrows can be made of almost any material that has bright colors, such as red, blaze orange, or safety yellow.

Geese, Ducks, and Swans — Wildlife Outreach Center — Penn State Extension

Steve

/ Pallets in fields #2,055  
Now, our esteemed collegue, Steve, is spouting the practicle, likely, and boring theory that the pallets are simply a type of scare crow. All is lost :-(.

/ Pallets in fields #2,056  
No, all is not lost. It just fell into the vortex. It is something that some volunteer needs to go follow and see where it all leads. :laughing:

/ Pallets in fields #2,057  
Now, our esteemed collegue, Steve, is spouting the practicle, likely, and boring theory that the pallets are simply a type of scare crow. All is lost :-(.

You need to reread my post. I was being polite to sparc in saying "I am skeptical about the use of the pallets as a deterrent" and I cited evidence that the pallets would not work as scarecrows.

We do not want to alienate sparc -- we need the information that only he can provide.

Steve

/ Pallets in fields
#2,058  

That is what I suggested in the beginning.

As far as these types of deterrents not working, I can tell you that
in the fields where the pallets were present and those with the
predator silhouettes I never saw geese but in adjacent fields the
snow geese were everywhere.

You can all make fun of this all you want, won't scare me away.
The fact that no one from the thousands of members on here knows
is what I find strange. Or is someone having a good laugh while we
all try to figure it out. Either way I don't care and if I never know I
won't lose any sleep over it.

Just think of all the ad impressions that this site is racking up as this thread
continues to grow. And all the targeted ads you will be exposed to as you
browse the web. Thank you Google. :(

/ Pallets in fields #2,059  
And POLITE too. It's even worse than I thought.
You need to reread my post. I was being polite to sparc in saying "I am skeptical about the use of the pallets as a deterrent" and I cited evidence that the pallets would not work as scarecrows.

We do not want to alienate sparc -- we need the information that only he can provide.

Steve

/ Pallets in fields #2,060  
And POLITE too. It's even worse than I thought.

SECRET MESSAGE FOR STUCKMOTOR

Do I have to spell everything out for you?:banghead:

We have to humor sparc and his quaint idea that somehow stationary pallet formations are capable of warding off geese. We need sparc to inquire of the farmers as to the reason they put the pallets in place.

Steve