Pallets in fields

/ Pallets in fields #2,061  
smstonypoint;3732650ad: We have to humor sparc and his quaint idea that somehow stationary pallet formations are capable of warding off geese. We need sparc to inquire of the farmers as to the reason they put the pallets in place. Steve[/QUOTE said:
I'm confused. You quoted this from Penn State: Waterfowl can be repelled by almost any large foreign object ...

While I agree that sparc asking the farmer who placed the pallets originally would be insightful, it seems he may be using the pallets as "foreign large objects" to keep the geese wary of the field. Now it appears, the farmer has replaced the pallets with other temporary deterrents.

The geese, we must remember, have a choice: land in a field with pallets, or land in a field with no pallets. Also, it must be considered that it doesn't matter when the pallets are placed, only that they are present when the geese are making their choices.

Are there agricultural economist studies that analyze the trade-offs between geese eating and pooping, and no geese? Surely, this would get you a Nobel? :D

/ Pallets in fields #2,062  
We have to humor sparc and his quaint idea that somehow stationary pallet formations are capable of warding off geese. We need sparc to inquire of the farmers as to the reason they put the pallets in place.

We don't have to humor Sparc, he has been of little use in our endeavors so far.
It's clear to me that he is deathly afraid of coyote silhouettes.
Consider that the placement of the pallets is what is actually being repelled, and the decoys were set to intimidate those who would seek to mark the entrance.
Strange how Steve's return coincided with the appearance of the silhouette, very strange.

/ Pallets in fields #2,063  
Steve,
It worries me when you're polite and yes, you have to spell out everything for me. What happened to the place where you called me a baghead, what's a baghead, and what happened to my reply. If the baghead police took my message down, I think Steve was kidding and I know I was. This is a fun thread.

SECRET MESSAGE FOR STUCKMOTOR

Do I have to spell everything out for you?:banghead:

We have to humor sparc and his quaint idea that somehow stationary pallet formations are capable of warding off geese. We need sparc to inquire of the farmers as to the reason they put the pallets in place.

Steve

/ Pallets in fields #2,064  
What is the difference between a towel head and a bag head?
Would a bag head prevent bed head?
What would happen if a bag head and a cone head were to.......reproduce.
Would the offspring be a cog head or a bone head?

NO! THIS IS NOT A TRICK QUESTION......ITS SCIENCE.

/ Pallets in fields #2,065  
My only guess as to a representative bag head is Bart Simpson, the break-out star of the hit TV show. My wife is related to the Simpsons on her mother's side. Steve didn't call me any of the other names so I'll not think too hard on those.

/ Pallets in fields #2,066  
smstonypoint;3732650ad: said:

Steve

First, why are you reading my secret message to stuckmotor? Have you no respect for privacy?:mad:

I'm confused.

In an amazing display of self-restraint, I will forgo the opportunity to comment.;)

You quoted this from Penn State: Waterfowl can be repelled by almost any large foreign object ...

While I agree that sparc asking the farmer who placed the pallets originally would be insightful, it seems he may be using the pallets as "foreign large objects" to keep the geese wary of the field. Now it appears, the farmer has replaced the pallets with other temporary deterrents.

What constitutes large? What constitutes foreign?

Massive%20snow%20goose%20lift-off%20by%20red%20barn-Horz.jpg

The geese, we must remember, have a choice: land in a field with pallets, or land in a field with no pallets. Also, it must be considered that it doesn't matter when the pallets are placed, only that they are present when the geese are making their choices.

So, if farmers saw that their neighbor was using pallets to effectively divert geese from his fields to theirs, would they not use pallets to the same effect? If the pallets are effective for that purpose, would we not expect to see all farmers in the area placing pallets in their fields if they are growing crops subject to damage?

Are there agricultural economist studies that analyze the trade-offs between geese eating and pooping, and no geese?

You surely have days when you wonder about damages to agriculture caused by geese. Invariably, you come back to the same old realization: "I need the advice of an economist. An economist would know how to answer my question."

And you would be correct. See https://www.google.com/webhp?tab=gw&q=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en#hl=en&q=geese+externality&start=0

Steve

/ Pallets in fields #2,067  
What happened to the place where you called me a baghead, what's a baghead, and what happened to my reply. If the baghead police took my message down, I think Steve was kidding and I know I was. This is a fun thread.

My only guess as to a representative bag head is Bart Simpson, the break-out star of the hit TV show. My wife is related to the Simpsons on her mother's side. Steve didn't call me any of the other names so I'll not think too hard on those.

Wait a minute.

I have never called anyone a "bag head," either here on TBN or anywhere else. I just looked up the term to find out what it meant.

I did agree that those engaged in empirical pallet research should wear bags over their heads so as to avoid investigator bias, but I did not use the term "bag head."

In catching up on the scientific literature upon my return to civilization, I did notice that the discussion must have veered off course during my absence and that some messages were deleted. The epithet may have been used then, but not by me.

However, I stand by my declarations that some folks are delusional, that they suffer from lunacy, and/or that they are crackpots. ;)

Steve

Last edited:
   / Pallets in fields #2,068  
Hey! Who are you calling a cracked pot? :laughing:

/ Pallets in fields #2,069  
Dave: I'm confused.

Steve: In an amazing display of self-restraint, I will forgo the opportunity to comment.

I tried for humble, for once, and this is my reward. :D

/ Pallets in fields #2,070  
We may never know ... They appeared and now he says they have disappeared ... Months of study and they are now disappearing ... That may carry us though the summer till they re appear this coming fall .. Now what?