Pallets in fields

smstonypoint

Tractor
NH TN 55, Kubota B2320 & RTV 900, Bad Boy Outlaw ZTR
In my attempt to learn more about the location of the OP, sparc, I checked http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/members/sparc.html.

It turns out that Bob is retired, he lists "Staying Alive" under "Interests," and he was on TBN as late as 9:15 PM today. How selfish is that?;) Although he may risked life and limb in doing so, he could have asked the farmers about the purpose of the pallets.

Steve

TomSeller

Tractor
JD, Massey, Kubota, Case
He said "You're right, I'll get right on that first thing next year. :)".

Maybe he is keeping to his word and we will hear after tomorrow.

mikehaugen

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 1070
Unless he finds out about the alien reason and is forced to become part of the conspiracy.

TomSeller

Tractor
JD, Massey, Kubota, Case
Maybe he has been abducted by the aliens and they don't have the Internet on the spaceship.

smstonypoint

Tractor
He said "You're right, I'll get right on that first thing next year. :)".

Maybe he is keeping to his word and we will hear after tomorrow.

I think we have to question Bob's priorities. He posted five messages on TBN today between 6:01 AM and 8:49 AM. (http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/members/sparc.html). Instead of frittering his time away, he could have advanced science by making inquires about the pallets.;)

Steve

k0ua

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

smstonypoint

Tractor
Its true, he does not seem to be as dedicated to solving this important scientific inquiry as some of us.:D

James K0UA

And to add insult to injury, he initiated our quest for knowledge by posing the problem in the first place.

Steve

PS Does your choice of emoticon imply that you think I have become fixated on this issue?;)

k0ua

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kioti DK35se Hydrostat
And to add insult to injury, he initiated our quest for knowledge by posing the problem in the first place.

Steve

PS Does your choice of emoticon imply that you think I have become fixated on this issue?;)

Not really, it has been good fun, but I am not sure we are ever going to "really know" why that farmer stacked those pallets that way. But in the big scheme of things.....

murphy1244

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota 1120 RTV Kioti DK-40, MF-135, Ventrac 4500Y
Jeepers! At this rate we may never know the meaning of the Pallets. Maybe get a Roundtable together and go on a Quest?

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
Is it always two pallets?

Maybe it is mating season.

k0ua

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kioti DK35se Hydrostat
Is it always two pallets?

Maybe it is mating season.

Could it be that pallets are like coat hangers, you put two of them together and pretty soon you have a closet full of them?:)

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
Shelter for brick flocks:

pallets.jpg

Wagtail

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4105 / JD Z355E (48" deck)
Well... it's just gone past 4 in the afternoon on the 1st of January, 2014.

The OP said he'd report "first thing in the new year". What's going ON?!?

I've set-aside 4 pallets IOT make two "formations" if required... for whatever the reason(s). Standing-by for this latest TBN "project".

PS: Tasmanian Devils do not require a structure such as this, therefore I would discount the Jersey Devil theory. [source, Tasmanian Parks and Wildlife Service)

Jim Shooz

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2350
From way out of left field:could these pallets have something to do with a flight path for drones ????

TomSeller

Tractor
JD, Massey, Kubota, Case
From way out of left field:could these pallets have something to do with a flight path for drones ????

Yes, if the drones are remotely operated by aliens.

RobertBrown

Elite Member
Tractor
Bolens G192/TS1910 Ford/New Holland 1920
Maybe he's in jail....arrested and charged with illegal dumping......of pallets, on private property.

Gunny

Veteran Member
Tractor
B2920, D1850FD
Well, if someone is going to the trouble to stack pallets in an open field, there has to be some beneficial reason to do so. Sooooo, even though I can't figure out why, I surely wouldn't want to miss out on whatever those benefits might be, so I'm going to set up a few stacks in my fields and wait to see what befalls me.

But since I don't know exactly what those benefits are, how will I know whether it works or not?

jimmyj

Elite Member
Tractor
Allis Chalmers 616 (Two) and a Kioti CK30 HST with loader and backhoe
Bahahahaha! It's me, I confess. I have been stacking these pallets across north America randomly to see if anyone notices!!! Mwahahahahahahaha

B7510HSD

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2601
WOW long thread for pallets in the field!! :shocked: They mark the fields for the crop dusters!! :airplane:

dave1949

Super Star Member
Tractor
Hanomag
We'll never know.

The aliens have abducted the OP and taken over his identity. You all think he will post an answer someday, but it will be whatever the aliens want us to believe. :D

smstonypoint

Tractor
We'll never know.

The aliens have abducted the OP and taken over his identity. You all think he will post an answer someday, but it will be whatever the aliens want us to believe. :D

Has anyone met Bob (the OP)? If so, is he this guy?

tin foil hat.jpg

Steve

TomSeller

Tractor
JD, Massey, Kubota, Case
Well I could not stand it and sent SPARC a PM. Here is what he said

sparc said:
I will if I do find out. I do not know who owns these fields and there are no houses near them.
Haven't seen anyone out on the property or I would stop and ask them.

I'm really surprised that no has seen this done anywhere else. I was thinking it was a decoy of
some type to keep birds or some other animal off the land. From a distance and when viewed
from ground level it might fool them into thinking its a coyote or fox.

smstonypoint

Tractor
WOW long thread for pallets in the field!! :shocked: They mark the fields for the crop dusters!! :airplane:

That sounds like a very good possibility.

It does sound kind of reasonable doesn't it?*

Now we have a "dusterist" faction.

I have two questions for you.

1. Why do farmers hire crop dusters rather than using their own spraying equipment?
2. In what season(s) of the year does crop dusting usually occur?

* James, you seem especially fickle when it comes to your support of competing pallet theories.;)

Steve

k0ua

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kioti DK35se Hydrostat
Now we have a "dusterist" faction.

I have two questions for you.

1. Why do farmers hire crop dusters rather than using their own spraying equipment?
2. In what season(s) of the year does crop dusting usually occur?

* James, you seem especially fickle when it comes to your support of competing pallet theories.;)

Steve

Just having fun and keeping the pot stirred Steve! :stirthepot: I don't have a clue what they are for.

blueriver

Tractor
JD 5520 Montana 4340 Farmall Super A Montana 5720C
I am still mulling that over. I am flummoxed by one issue -- if we assume that aliens have a superior intelligence, why would they want to land in New Jersey? ;) Steve

Because if they landed anywhere else folks would know they are aliens and report them.

smstonypoint

Tractor
Well I could not stand it and sent SPARC a PM. Here is what he said

Originally Posted by sparc

I will if I do find out. I do not know who owns these fields and there are no houses near them.
Haven't seen anyone out on the property or I would stop and ask them.

All in all, I would say that's a lame excuse. Can he not inquire at the Register of Deeds office as to the ownership of the properties in question?

Steve

Last edited:

smstonypoint

Tractor
Jeepers! At this rate we may never know the meaning of the Pallets. Maybe get a Roundtable together and go on a Quest?

As a followup, I am surprised that no one has mentioned the possibility that the pallets were deposited by fully laden swallows.:)

Steve

TomSeller

Tractor
JD, Massey, Kubota, Case
The Jolly Green Giant left them there as markers to find his way back to his Jolly Green House

Attachments

• image-4097805561.jpg
    image-4097805561.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 72

Midniteoyl

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti CK3510SE HST, Ford 3400, Gizmow ZTR, Simplicity 7016H
Thinking the 'bird cover' is the best bet.. prolly for turkey?

hr3

Veteran Member
Tractor
7610 hst
If they were in the south I'd say moonshiner markers but being in Jersey,, hmmm

Depmandog

Elite Member
Tractor
2005 Kubota L5030 GST; Farmall 706, 756, 806 & 1086
Perhaps the farmer uses the pallets to mark which fields get lime applied by the local supplier. He might not lime every field every year - the pallets would make an easy visual to locate which fields are on the lime schedule.

Let the record reflect that I have already mentioned the possibility of the pallets being used to mark the field for the purposes of applying soil enhancements. Said enhancements (specifically lime) could reasonably be expected to be applied during the winter months.

I have never seen a crop duster apply his wares to ground without a crop....that would be ground dusting...and that I have never heard of.

k0ua

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kioti DK35se Hydrostat
Let the record reflect that I have already mentioned the possibility of the pallets being used to mark the field for the purposes of applying soil enhancements. Said enhancements (specifically lime) could reasonably be expected to be applied during the winter months.

I have never seen a crop duster apply his wares to ground without a crop....that would be ground dusting...and that I have never heard of.

Dean I am with you on this, I think that lime application is a good idea! What does this make for me 4 different allegiances.? One of these is bound to be right, and I am going to claim see I said in post #xx that is what I said! Heck we are never going to really know anyway!

James K0UA

Depmandog

Elite Member
Tractor
2005 Kubota L5030 GST; Farmall 706, 756, 806 & 1086
James you are right...I believe the Vegas odds that we learn the truth are pretty high right now!!

Wagtail

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4105 / JD Z355E (48" deck)
As a followup, I am surprised that no one has mentioned the possibility that the pallets were deposited by fully laden swallows.:)

Steve

African or European? I observed a swarm of Tasmanian "Welcome Swallows" just yesterday... but it's summer down here so the season is wrong for the pallet-stacking phenomena.

murphy1244

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota 1120 RTV Kioti DK-40, MF-135, Ventrac 4500Y
African or European? I observed a swarm of Tasmanian "Welcome Swallows" just yesterday... but it's summer down here so the season is wrong for the pallet-stacking phenomena.

And where are my Coconuts? And we will need the Holy Hand grenade.

Thomas

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota B2650HSD w/Frontloader & CC LTX1046 & Craftman T2200 lawn mower.
Pallets are nothing but decoy,so that we don't see whats going on the other side of knoll/woods..and its working. ;)

smstonypoint

Tractor
Perhaps the farmer uses the pallets to mark which fields get lime applied by the local supplier. He might not lime every field every year - the pallets would make an easy visual to locate which fields are on the lime schedule.

Dean I am with you on this, I think that lime application is a good idea! What does this make for me 4 different allegiances.? One of these is bound to be right, and I am going to claim see I said in post #xx that is what I said! Heck we are never going to really know anyway! James K0UA

We now have a "Markist" (not to be confused with Marxist) Theory.

Unlike the Dusterist Theory, Markism is consistent with standard agronomic practices.

However, there appears to be a flaw with the Markist Theory and other theories that state the pallets are used to demarcate fields/boundaries/fixtures on a temporary basis.

Let us think about the time and effort to transport pallets, erect them in an inverted V fashion, and then retrieve them some months later. This would require strenuous effort by one person -- it is likely that two people would be involved. Also, equipment must be used to transport the pallets to and fro.

Contrast this scenario with the use of a plastic step-in fence post (or similar device) and plastic flagging. The field/boundary/fixture is identified and the fence post can be set (or retrieved) in a matter of seconds by one person. A person could easily carry the devices or use an ATV for transport.

How do the Markists respond?

Steve

Last edited:

smstonypoint

Tractor

And where are my Coconuts? And we will need the Holy Hand grenade.

With my apology for thread drift, but I would love to attend one of their reunion shows in London this summer. Alas, I will have to wait for the DVD.

Are you fans of Rowan Atkinson?

Steve

Jim Shooz

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2350
Hang on a minute mate ! From this side of the world that is not an 'inverted' V. It's the right way up. Just got a lot of dirt on the top of it. :thumbsup: