Parking EVs indoors

/ Parking EVs indoors
WASHINGTON (Reuters) -U.S. investigators on Thursday proposed $270,000 in fines for a General Motors and LG Energy Solution joint venture battery plant in Ohio for safety and health violations.

Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) investigators examining the cause of a March explosion and fire at the Ultium Cells plant prompted the agency to issue 19 safety and health violations, 17 of them serious.

.... And, that's here ! Imagine what is going on at battery plants in PRC....

Rgds, D.

/ Parking EVs indoors #93  
Submerged, and still burning violently...... Nothing to See Here.... Back to Regular GreenWashing......

Rgds, D.
Just don't get close, as the constant water helps generate gases more quickly. Tissue damage, or eye damage. And if you are close enough for that you could get lung damage. Not likey to happen, but there is a small probability it could.

Look up Hydrofluoric acid.

/ Parking EVs indoors
Just don't get close, as the constant water helps generate gases more quickly. Tissue damage, or eye damage. And if you are close enough for that you could get lung damage. Not likey to happen, but there is a small probability it could.

Good points. HF is NASTY stuff.

Before these vehicles arrive @ work, I'll be pushing for full SCBA gear. Not sure I'll stick around if we don't get it. Not trying to become a firefighter (we already have a retired one on staff), given how fast Li goes up, SCBA is needed just to evacuate a building, or when you are slowed-down getting an injured person out of danger.

Rgds, D.

/ Parking EVs indoors #95  
Burning under water is quite impressive. Scary when the rules of firefighting change.

/ Parking EVs indoors
Burning under water is quite impressive. Scary when the rules of firefighting change.
Esp. considering that many people struggle/fail when dealing with a "regular" fire....

I remember a teacher (Accounting ? it was a long time ago, and not a class I was in...) in HS getting bad burns to his arms. Grease fire in his kitchen @ home, and didn't smother it..... something like he was trying to pour it down the sink....

That's the kicker with Li, there's little/nothing even the Pros can do with it, you just have to let it burn and protect (if you can) the surrounding area.

Rgds, D.

/ Parking EVs indoors #97  
Esp. considering that many people struggle/fail when dealing with a "regular" fire....

I remember a teacher (Accounting ? it was a long time ago, and not a class I was in...) in HS getting bad burns to his arms. Grease fire in his kitchen @ home, and didn't smother it..... something like he was trying to pour it down the sink....

That's the kicker with Li, there's little/nothing even the Pros can do with it, you just have to let it burn and protect (if you can) the surrounding area.

Rgds, D.
No amount of water puts it out. It has to burn out of fuel. Doesn't need oxygen and the burning lithium creates a metal fire at temperatures of 2,000 degrees Celsius/3632 degrees Fahrenheit. Attempting to douse the fire with water is inadvisable since this could lead to a hydrogen gas explosion!

/ Parking EVs indoors #98  

Yes, HF is bad, but you don't get significant amounts from thermal decomposition, but please correct me if I am wrong. If you have a source for significant amounts of HF being produced in a lithium (ion) battery thermal runaway, I would love to read it. I found exactly one paper making the claim that HF was produced. That claim was based on a misquote of an earlier paper that is explicit that HF is so reactive that it reacts with the cell materials rapidly and is not present in meaningful amounts. The battery type most likely to have significant amounts of fluoride is the one least likely to have thermal runaway events, an LFP battery (Lithium Ferro Phosphate, where the F is for ferrous, aka iron, not fluorine).

I'm not suggesting that you inhale the fumes, but I do think that a little perspective is warranted.

I think that we are all very accustomed to hydrocarbon fuels, and have become perhaps so familiar with them to the point where people get injured doing stupid things like refueling running equipment or putting gasoline on a fire, because we don't think of the risks.

I think that regardless of whether a vehicle has an internal combustion engine or a battery, both typically have at least enough energy to move the vehicle several hundred miles. That is a lot of energy.

All the best,

Peter

/ Parking EVs indoors
NTSB vid, from 2 years ago.

Guessing, Standardized Disconnect location/identification still hasn't happened by now..... I'd like to be wrong.

Rgds, D.

/ Parking EVs indoors #100  
I've personally seen 2 RV trailers light themselves on fire while no one had been in them for days. Really eye opening how much toxic stuff is flammable. One was a refrigerator going up in smoke, the other I have no idea not much left but I would guess an overloaded outlet or bad connection at the outlet. All RVs use the crappiest outlet that make mobiles home wiring look wonderful.
Propane flame/ammonia cycle refrigerator.