Passing it on

/ Passing it on #1  

Raul-02

Veteran Member
the armpit of the entire universe New Jersey
Tractor
kioti DK4710 SE HST CAB
Lots of us have stories like this so I thought I’d share.

I had my grand kids in the shop quite a lot. We built trinkets, cutting boards, knick nacks, hot plates and such for their parents. They learned the basics of table saws, band saws, lathes, welding, and even machine shop theory. Through out its all I peppered conversation with materials sciences loading structures you name it.

I built my eldest grand daughter's dill house with her. It was stick built and we drove country roads for the perfect house to model hers after. We discussed beam strength loading snow loads floor loads static load of doll house kitchen appliances etc., all this we discussed as we built it.

So her awareness of these issues was set.

Now she’s got herself into Purdue Engineering and during her first job interview (while she’s in school) she told the interviewing engineer all about that doll house. How she learned static loads, materials sciences, and structural dynamics starting with her grandfather.

She got the job.

Pass it on.

/ Passing it on #2  
That's awesome, that she can pinpoint that interest and knowledge back to time spent with her grandfather, that ought to make you beam.

/ Passing it on #3  

I had my grand kids in the shop quite a lot. We built trinkets, cutting boards, knick nacks, hot plates and such for their parents. They learned the basics of table saws, band saws, lathes, welding, and even machine shop theory. Through out its all I peppered conversation with materials sciences loading structures you name it.

I built my eldest grand daughter's dill house with her. It was stick built and we drove country roads for the perfect house to model hers after. We discussed beam strength loading snow loads floor loads static load of doll house kitchen appliances etc., all this we discussed as we built it.

Now she’s got herself into Purdue Engineering and during her first job interview (while she’s in school) she told the interviewing engineer all about that doll house. How she learned static loads, materials sciences, and structural dynamics starting with her grandfather.

She got the job.

Pass it on.
Boiler Up! (y)

Purdue is an excellent choice.

/ Passing it on #4  
No, no, no........ ILLINI!

/ Passing it on #6  

She got the job.

Pass it on.
Thank you for passing on your interest in an honorable profession. We need more engineers and fewer talking heads in this country.

/ Passing it on #7  
Great story, passing the knowledge along is crucial to the sucess of future generations, as is sparking interesting in a great career.

Great school Purdue, I attended '68 through '70.
Still have my slide rule too!